WHL Predictions: Agree or Disagree?

Oct 15, 2008
I think Portland will continue the Edmonton/Portland square dance as WHL champs. I dont think Brandon is quite ready yet to take on the teams with top end vets.

Calgary and Kelowna could be there as well.

I think Sam Steel wins roy. Hard to go against Benson though, and I dont really have any viewings of the others.

Dont underrate the Oil Kings. Top notch goaltending and the guys coming up are good players. Got a bit of a sneak peek last year during the WJC and there isnt going to be the drop off that some are predicting imo.

As far as bust teams go, Im gonna go with the Royals. Just a gut feeling. Medicine Hat could tumble down the standings as well.

Up and coming teams are likely to be PG and Red Deer.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I think Portland will continue the Edmonton/Portland square dance as WHL champs. I dont think Brandon is quite ready yet to take on the teams with top end vets.

Calgary and Kelowna could be there as well.

I think Sam Steel wins roy. Hard to go against Benson though, and I dont really have any viewings of the others.

Dont underrate the Oil Kings. Top notch goaltending and the guys coming up are good players. Got a bit of a sneak peek last year during the WJC and there isnt going to be the drop off that some are predicting imo.

As far as bust teams go, Im gonna go with the Royals. Just a gut feeling. Medicine Hat could tumble down the standings as well.

Up and coming teams are likely to be PG and Red Deer.

Completely agree. Expect a break-out year by Pollock (80/90 pts).

Red Deer will be there in 3-4 years, but for now they really need there Best Players back (Bleackley, Fleury).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can't believe how bad that Red Deer team looks on player without Bleackley and Fleury. Musil has definitely been a pleasant surprise thus far in the early season.

Oil Kings are a damn good club, but I do think that Jarry is starting to become overrated. I see a lot of Brossiot problems with him IMO, resulting to his mental game being weak than actual talent. Yes I know he won the Memorial Cup, but even Stolarz could have won it with that OKs team.

Once Kelowna gets everyone back (if they haven't already), they are clearly the best team in the Dub IMO.

Also sucks that Theodore is going to be injured for the next upcoming weeks. I could also see all five American teams make it through, Cougars are a solid team no doubt, but they are not a great team. That central division though, 5 of the 6 teams are fantastic and all have the potential to make a deep playoff push.

arsmaster*

I think Kelowna wins it too.

I think Kelowna and Calgary are conference champs. They both have the d corps to get it done.

Agree with PG being the surprise team, but I think Medicine Hat might surprise and finish higher than expected.

Not sure who the bust teams are, but Moose Jaw and Saskatoon don't intrigue me at all.

Bjorkstrand or Tambellini lead the league in scoring, Petan will have the PPG, but being away for the juniors will give Bjork and Tambellini a head start.

I think Joe Hicketts will be the leagues best all around dman.

Rookie is hard to judge because you really need to get a feel for opportunities. Steel and Benson will get them...will Patrick? \

My projected leading scorer will be the top import - Bjorkstrand.

Top 3 picks: Barzal, Bittner, and Harkins.

Harkins and Soy are my picks to be breakout players.

arsmaster*

^ Bjork will be at the WJ's too you know.

He'll still be back before Petan (hopefully, as I'm a selfish Canadian) and I don't believe Denmark has a pre-camp starting first week of December like Canada does. I think Petan will miss more games is all I was getting at.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
He'll still be back before Petan (hopefully, as I'm a selfish Canadian) and I don't believe Denmark has a pre-camp starting first week of December like Canada does. I think Petan will miss more games is all I was getting at.

Petan has been playing good enough in Winnipeg that there is also a realistic chance he wont be playing junior this season.

arsmaster*

Petan has been playing good enough in Winnipeg that there is also a realistic chance he wont be playing junior this season.

That would be shocking.

What has changed in Winnipeg since they sent Scheifele down. He looked more ready to withstand the physical nature of an 82 game pro schedule than Petan does.

I'd be surprised if Petan was already one of the 6 best forwards the Jets have, and it really makes little sense to carry him as a bottom 6 forward.

Good for him that he's impressing though, I have always liked the kid and had him ranked 15th overall in 2013. His time will come, but IMO after he finishes out his junior eligibility and after he lights up the AHL for a season or two.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Won't happen.

He's a small and slippery guy, but still needs time to turn into a small, strong and slippery guy. He might even need a year in the AHL after the 2014-15 season before fully being a top 6-9 threat with the Jets, in my opinion.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
What do you guys think are the chances that Josh Morrissey will stick in Winnipeg? If they do send him back, do the Raiders trade him?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
He has been our best looking rookie this camp so far. And that is ahead of Ehlers, Morrissey, Lowry and so on.

Not saying it will happen, but I wouldnt be totally surprised.

arsmaster*

I think Kelowna wins it too.

I think Kelowna and Calgary are conference champs. They both have the d corps to get it done.

Agree with PG being the surprise team, but I think Medicine Hat might surprise and finish higher than expected.

Not sure who the bust teams are, but Moose Jaw and Saskatoon don't intrigue me at all.

Bjorkstrand or Tambellini lead the league in scoring, Petan will have the PPG, but being away for the juniors will give Bjork and Tambellini a head start.

I think Joe Hicketts will be the leagues best all around dman.

Rookie is hard to judge because you really need to get a feel for opportunities. Steel and Benson will get them...will Patrick? \

My projected leading scorer will be the top import - Bjorkstrand.

Top 3 picks: Barzal, Bittner, and Harkins.

Harkins and Soy are my picks to be breakout players.

Had to bump this, because I think I did pretty well.

Bjork: check
Hicketts: has the PPG avg
Breakouts: Harkins and Soy

PG and MH better than expected: check

Underestimated Brandon, and also underestimated Nolan Patrick's opportunity.

Fun to look back.

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Had to bump this, because I think I did pretty well.

Bjork: check
Hicketts: has the PPG avg
Breakouts: Harkins and Soy

PG and MH better than expected: check

Underestimated Brandon, and also underestimated Nolan Patrick's opportunity.

Fun to look back.

Wow, I'm impressed. Even the ones you missed, you were close on. Hell of a prediction, especially given the how random the WHL tends to be. Plus, you predicted Kelowna doing well before they picked up Morrissey and Draisaitl.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
Wow, I'm impressed. Even the ones you missed, you were close on. Hell of a prediction, especially given the how random the WHL tends to be. Plus, you predicted Kelowna doing well before they picked up Morrissey and Draisaitl.

To be fair Kelowna was doing better before they got Morrissey and Draisaitl lol

arsmaster*

Thanks, I also wasn't as sour on Portland as a lot the regulars in here. I'll keep patting my own back.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad