WHL, OHL, QMJHL final statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I did a few minutes of number crunching with the final stats in the CHL, and got:

In the QMJHL:
3572 goals in 560 total games for an average of 6.38 goals per game.
Leading scorer Sidney Crosby had 168 points in 62 games, for a ppg of 2.7, and had points on about 54% of the goals his team scored in the games in which he played (I estimated the goals scored in games he didn't play in, so this is not exact).

In the OHL:
4161 goals in 680 total games for an average of 6.12 goals per game.
Leading scorer Corey Perry had 130 points in 60 games, for a ppg of 2.2, and had a point on about 47% of the goals his team scored in the games he played in (again estimated).

In the WHL:
3910 total goals in 720 total games for an average of 5.43 goals per game.
Leading scorer Eric Fehr had 111 points in 71 games, for a ppg of 1.6, and had a point on about 44% of his team's goals.

Interestingly, if you take all the goals scored in games involving Rimouski, the goals per game goes down to 6.26. Also, I adjusted Corey Perry's stats to the Q, and his points per game would theoretically go up to 2.3, which would give him about 143 points if he still missed 8 games. That's obviously not very meaningful, but it's still fun to play around with the numbers.

In general, nothing very surprising. The WHL is significanly lower scoring than the other leagues, and the Q remains the highest scoring, although the OHL is also pretty high.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Thanks for teh stats.

Those numbers should quickly end the Q is only run and gun debate :)
I think the percentages explain that there is more top-end scoring in the Q, and less depth.

And you cannot deny the fact that, historically, many more players have produced a bunch out of the Q only to do nothing in the NHL.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I think the percentages explain that there is more top-end scoring in the Q, and less depth.

And you cannot deny the fact that, historically, many more players have produced a bunch out of the Q only to do nothing in the NHL.

I don't think percentages explain anything. They might suggest something, but don't explain anything. But that's just being picky. I think part of this can be explained by the fact Quebec as a province has a different approach to minor hockey development. It's a bit more European if I remember correctly, and skill is the primary thing that is addressed. That is in part why historically, the Q produces more high-scoring juniors than any other league, because the province's hockey strategy is to allow that to happen.

The expansion into the Maritimes and even New England has been part of the reason scoring has gone down. Teams like Moncton, Halifax and Cape Breton, three of the most successful teams of late, don't play that style. The whole style of play in the league has changed of late, and there remains a difference between the style played in a game between two teams like Halifax and Moncton, and two teams like Rimouski and Chicoutimi.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Hossa said:
I don't think percentages explain anything. They might suggest something, but don't explain anything. But that's just being picky. I think part of this can be explained by the fact Quebec as a province has a different approach to minor hockey development. It's a bit more European if I remember correctly, and skill is the primary thing that is addressed. That is in part why historically, the Q produces more high-scoring juniors than any other league, because the province's hockey strategy is to allow that to happen.

The expansion into the Maritimes and even New England has been part of the reason scoring has gone down. Teams like Moncton, Halifax and Cape Breton, three of the most successful teams of late, don't play that style. The whole style of play in the league has changed of late, and there remains a difference between the style played in a game between two teams like Halifax and Moncton, and two teams like Rimouski and Chicoutimi.

I checked this out and here it is :

Atlantic Division:

Halifax : 5.91
Moncton : 5.44
Cape Breton : 5.73
P.E.I. : 6.54
AB : 5.81

Atlantic division : 5.89

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jacobv2 said:

That happens in all leagues.

But i am getting sick of the typical posts when talking about the QMJHL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
La-La-Laprise said:
That happens in all leagues.

But i am getting sick of the typical posts when talking about the QMJHL

As am I. Every league produces high-scoring juniors who wind up populating various non-NHL leagues.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jacobv2 said:

and this has not happened in any other league eh....what about guys like Josh Holden, Blake Robinson, Matt Zultek, Dan Cleary (can be considered a bust really), etc etc....look at all the top scorers in the WHL and OHL from the past 15 years and tell be how many of those guys became stars or players in the NHL. Every league has that, it is called being built for junior but not anything else...

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
0.26 PPG difference in the OHL and QMJHL is interesting, they are basically on par with one and another(on that statistic)

The WHL had 236 less goals then the OHL with 40 more games played.

What % of goals are the lines that Crosby, Perry and Fehr are on make to relation to their total team goals?

Is the thread starter a Statistician by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad