WHL Minimum Wage

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
First time I've created a thread. I thought I would see what folks thought about the CHL minimum wage debate. I find Westhead's reporting a bit one sided. He's seems to forget that Tier II teams don't pay minimum wage either.

On one hand I understand that some players feel they are owed more in terms of funding. And that their education packages shouldn't have an expiry date. However a free year of university for every year played is a pretty good deal. I can't image being able to start off with no student debt. Not to mention the contacts and connections made along the way. I have seen players in my neck of the woods take full advantage of free school and do really well.

This also isn't 1992 anymore. Parents and players can’t plead ignorance of the consequences of playing CHL. If you want to retain your NCAA eligibility don't sign a player agreement stay in Tier II and not get paid minimum wage either.

Those are my thoughts. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Last edited:

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I've looked at a lot of the names that are part of the suit, many of them were 4th line players that amounted to nothing after their careers were over.

Not only do they get their college tuition paid for, they get all the best coaching, work out equipment, hockey gear etc.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I've looked at a lot of the names that are part of the suit, many of them were 4th line players that amounted to nothing after their careers were over.

Not only do they get their college tuition paid for, they get all the best coaching, work out equipment, hockey gear etc.

This probably wouldn't be a discussion except the teams were finding ways to jerk scholarship opportunities out from under players.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
This probably wouldn't be a discussion except the teams were finding ways to jerk scholarship opportunities out from under players.

The 3 junior leagues constantly bring up the post-secondary scholarships within the context of the class action lawsuits.

The plaintiffs do not bring up the topic. No judge (8 rulings so far) has mentioned the scholarships, either.

The reason is simple. Hypothetical scholarships post-career are not wages.

My daughter is now 24 and starting a doctorate in September. She began working part-time for a fairly well-known Canadian company when she was a few months shy of her 16th birthday. About 20-25 hours per week during the school year, full-time in the summers.

When she graduated from high school and began university at the age of 18, her employer kept her on and paid 50% of her university tuition in year 1, 60% in year 2, 70% in year 3, and 80% in year 4. They didn’t deduct this amount from her wages or claim that it actually replaced wages.

My own job pays me a decent wage and also offers post-secondary education tuition assistance. It’s a perk, but I can’t pay a mortgage with it. To live, I need an actual salary. Further, I have work colleagues who absolutely are not academically inclined and will never use the tuition assistance perk. Thank God they receive salaries for their work.

At any rate, the CHL is like many employers today that financially support their employees educational
goals. But unlike other employers, the CHL doesn’t pay their employees.

Both sides of the class action lawsuits have filed court documents indicating player wages would cost approximately $300K per team each season. In the WHL, that’s about $6.6 million per year, and in 2016 the league had revenues of $86 million. Make of those numbers what you will.

Reactions: e14

Kamsurvey

Apr 18, 2019
I might be way off base here, but I look at junior hockey more as an internship rather than a job. These kids are going here with eyes wide open as to the pay (small stipend). What they are getting back is high level coaching, access to facilities and opportunities to get in front of scouts. This is not a job that you go and punch a clock at for the next 20 years. This is 4-5 years of learning and growing. The end goal is to move on and play a higher level of hockey.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
I see both sides
My kid is likely going that route and I can say my eyes are wide open... however I'm not sure my son's are... can they be wide open at that age?
... CHL teams are businesses like any other and offer a product that they sell. the argument that they would shut down if they can't pay wages is a weak one. would I get away with that in any other business? come work on my farm for food and logding? you'll gain experience... would that cut it? I'd likely be put in jail!
maybe best to compare with local theatre shows etc? many of the actors maybe volunteers but these organizations are not making profits and are likely accountable to some funding body else they would need to pay the actors.

also I don't know of too many internships that last 4 years? not unpaid ones at least.
Most internships would also lead to a high likelyhood of a position in the industry. Not the case here given the rarity of available positions.

A case can be made for this being unique industry but it's a slippery slope when profits are generated for owners in the end. the CHL is not running the business for altruistic or charatible reasons.

having said all that, I'm still happy my kid (should he make) will be looked after while he develops his hockey skills in a competitve environment so hence the unique aspect I guess!

Last edited:

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Are you guys sure it's not just these guys being bitter that hockey never panned out for them? I don't see any current NHLers on the list.
This is the exact reason for all this crap. Funny how it was never an issue amongst players until now......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad