WHL in Nanaimo?

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I agree with the Ice being the most likely franchise for relocation. The only problem I see here is I don't believe the Ice can survive in Cranbrook until 2019. How they are still there at this point is beyond me.

They would have to then move. Never know maybe the guarantee of leaving would bring the fans back, make a few bucks before they move

Hordichuk_24

They would have to then move. Never know maybe the guarantee of leaving would bring the fans back, make a few bucks before they move

The Ice will be relocating at one point or another that is inevitable, IMO. I'm just not confident they can last in Cranbrook until this rink is ready. Which could make things more complicated for the league as Kootenay is their ideal target team for relocation. As for your latter comment I highly doubt it. Kootenay has been a competitive team for many years in their existence and their fan base has always been minimal at best. It just simply isn't a major junior hockey market, IMO. And that isn't intended as a knock on the location or the fans.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
On one of the news programs (I think it was CHEK), they were saying the plan would be to attract a WHL team either via relocation or expansion and have them play at another arena while the new arena is built. Said it could happen as early as next season.

Hordichuk_24

On one of the news programs (I think it was CHEK), they were saying the plan would be to attract a WHL team either via relocation or expansion and have them play at another arena while the new arena is built. Said it could happen as early as next season.

That would make more sense. Like I said I don't think Kootenay can survive that long. A move is almost imminent, IMO. And the likelihood of another expansion team is slim to none which only leaves relocation which is the most practical move for the league.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Put it this way: Frank Crane holds more than the Ice average in Cranbrook right now.

As long as Nanaimo gets the votes for a new house (not holding my breath), there shouldn't be a problem going to the island immediately. Only with assurance, not on spec.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Put it this way: Frank Crane holds more than the Ice average in Cranbrook right now.

As long as Nanaimo gets the votes for a new house (not holding my breath), there shouldn't be a problem going to the island immediately. Only with assurance, not on spec.

The Art Hauser Arena in Prince Albert is roughly the same size as Frank Crane, so no reason it couldn't work as a temporary venue based on capacity. Not sure what other specs it would need in terms of dressing rooms, etc.
Also, were do the Jr. A Clippers go in that case?

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
The Art Hauser Arena in Prince Albert is roughly the same size as Frank Crane, so no reason it couldn't work as a temporary venue based on capacity. Not sure what other specs it would need in terms of dressing rooms, etc.
Also, were do the Jr. A Clippers go in that case?

Clippers should move to Quesnel. Cranbrook would go AJHL before BCHL

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Would require a local ownership group, but if the Clippers were to move, the nostalgic in me would love to see them in Queen's Park Arena and renamed the Bruins.

Then of course the Bill Copeland Arena is still available, but Burnaby never really warmed to Junior A hockey with the Bulldogs or Express.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
More info. City Councillor Bill Bestwick, who coached several teams in the BC Hockey League, including the Nanaimo Clippers, says the WHL is a done deal if the new rink gets approved. While everyone has assumed this to be so, this is the first official pronouncement to say it outright.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2017/02/bestwick-whl-team-guaranteed-if-vote-is.html

Speaking as someone who knows a little about municipal politics, I will say that this referendum is not a done deal. Nanaimo is an interesting mix; a lot of low-income/retirement folks who don't relish the idea of funding a big new project and a lot of people with money, who are pretty conservative, and don't like paying taxes. I suspect it will be close.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
More info. City Councillor Bill Bestwick, who coached several teams in the BC Hockey League, including the Nanaimo Clippers, says the WHL is a done deal if the new rink gets approved. While everyone has assumed this to be so, this is the first official pronouncement to say it outright.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2017/02/bestwick-whl-team-guaranteed-if-vote-is.html

Speaking as someone who knows a little about municipal politics, I will say that this referendum is not a done deal. Nanaimo is an interesting mix; a lot of low-income/retirement folks who don't relish the idea of funding a big new project and a lot of people with money, who are pretty conservative, and don't like paying taxes. I suspect it will be close.

How much would the rink cost.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
How much would the rink cost.

The referendum calls for borrowing of up to $80 million. There are a couple of options on the table, as I understand it, to allow them to cut back on the scope of the project if budget changes present themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad