WHL in Nanaimo?

arsmaster*

I keep on reading articles and hearing suggestions that the WHL wants another team on the Island and obviously Nanaimo would be the choice.

Just read Sam Cosentino's article on sportsnet.ca, he only gave us this tidbit":

Wouldn’t surprise me to see a WHL team in Nanaimo within 3-5 years, if not sooner.

Where do they plan on housing this team, they don't have a rink, Cliff McNabb arena only holds 2000 people, is that enough? Only Kootenay has a barn that small that I know of....Moose Jaw's is what 3000ish?

They would definitely need a new arena, will they approve and build one within the next 3-5 years? I'm not sure, but it would definitely be good for grass roots hockey on Vancouver Island. I'm hoping this repeated rumour comes true, hopefully not at the expense of another team though.

Hordichuk_24

Where do they plan on housing this team, they don't have a rink, Cliff McNabb arena only holds 2000 people, is that enough?

The plan is to build a new rink.

arsmaster said:
I'm hoping this repeated rumour comes true, hopefully not at the expense of another team though.

It will absolutely be at the expense of another team. Either Kootenay or Prince George.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
They would need to build a larger rink but I'm not sure if the area is large enough to support a WHL team.

It makes sense for Victoria, and travel, as teams could play 2 or even 3 games on road trips to the Island.

They would need to be able to draw from some smaller satellite communities including Courtney and Campbell River which are over 1 hour away.

The Prince George team could be the one that moves, makes sense from a travel and just plain business model sense as well.

arsmaster*

They would need to build a larger rink but I'm not sure if the area is large enough to support a WHL team.

It makes sense for Victoria, and travel, as teams could play 2 or even 3 games on road trips to the Island.

They would need to be able to draw from some smaller satellite communities including Courtney and Campbell River which are over 1 hour away.

The Prince George team could be the one that moves, makes sense from a travel and just plain business model sense as well.

Yeah, I was thinking PG too.

Nanaimo has grown quite a bit, they are almost up to 100,000 people. It's also a University town (Vancouver Island University formerly known as Malaspina University College) so the population inflates during hockey season.

They'll draw enough fans, I'm certain of it. I actually think Nanaimo is a better hockey town than Victoria.

They will draw good numbers, especially from the other Island communities when the big teams/prospects come to town. Parksville is also 20 minutes away, and lots of old timers who love hockey will make the trek down for WHL games I'm sure of it.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Nanaimo supports their BCHL team very well. I thought it would be feasible in the past. Note that in the 80s the Nanaimo Islanders were in the WHL for a couple years and even had a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL. The city has probably doubled in population since the WHL left as well as the surrounding areas. Similar population to Kamloops which hs been able to be successful for years. The arena is the big issue and one would need to be built. I don't know why they didn't replace the old civic arena downtown with a new one there. Seemed like a good location downtown but most business & population is in the north end though.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site

Would love to see a team here, and don't believe there would be an issue with support/population of the area. Quick glance at numbers puts approx 155k within 30mins of easy driving. That's considerably larger population base to pull from compared to PG or Kootenay...

Also, Arsmaster - it's Frank Crane ;)...Cliff Mcnabb is next door lol

Personally though, I believe it's only a matter of time before a team moves here. My money is on PG, which is fine by me as I'm a cougars fan haha....1 of 4

arsmaster*

Would love to see a team here, and don't believe there would be an issue with support/population of the area. Quick glance at numbers puts approx 155k within 30mins of easy driving. That's considerably larger population base to pull from compared to PG or Kootenay...

Also, Arsmaster - it's Frank Crane ;)...Cliff Mcnabb is next door lol

Personally though, I believe it's only a matter of time before a team moves here. My money is on PG, which is fine by me as I'm a cougars fan haha....1 of 4

I had Frank Crane typed out too, then I got confused because my daughter played on one of the rinks this year and they had it wrong on the schedule...LOL.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Wasn't there something in the Winnipeg thread about the Prince George owners being able to use the team as a tax write off and therefore are not likely to move anytime soon?

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012
Since Kootenay is already in the east and PG is in BC....answered your own question .

The Ice to the Peg, Cougars to Nanaimo and no messing around with conferences.

Hordichuk_24

Since Kootenay is already in the east and PG is in BC....answered your own question .

The Ice to the Peg, Cougars to Nanaimo and no messing around with conferences.

The conferences are already unbalanced as it is. Kootenay moving back to the west (to another location) would fix that problem.

Either way who knows what will happen. Both franchises (Prince George and Kootenay) claim they aren't going anywhere but something has to give. It seems relocation for both franchises is inevitable.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
As awesome as it'd be to see another team on the Island I think it'd really hurt the BCHL.
One plus is that players have the option to go the NCAA route or WHL but Nanaimo has a very strong Clippers following and the Clippers are a great organization I'd hate to see them suffer because they actually produce a lot of Island talent.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Wasn't there something in the Winnipeg thread about the Prince George owners being able to use the team as a tax write off and therefore are not likely to move anytime soon?

Yes, ownership here has absolutely no intentions to sell. With that said, WHL commish Ron Robison lit a fire under their belts to start to do right by the team.

There was an article saying that they are sorry for taking such a backseat role in all of this and that they want to start investing in the team. Now it is all fine and dandy to say that but, they need to actually start doing something about it.

Only problem is most people in this community are so fed up with how the team has been run that they will never return to the games unless they r under new ownership.

It's a mess.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I keep on reading articles and hearing suggestions that the WHL wants another team on the Island and obviously Nanaimo would be the choice.

Just read Sam Cosentino's article on sportsnet.ca, he only gave us this tidbit":

Where do they plan on housing this team, they don't have a rink, Cliff McNabb arena only holds 2000 people, is that enough? Only Kootenay has a barn that small that I know of....Moose Jaw's is what 3000ish?

They would definitely need a new arena, will they approve and build one within the next 3-5 years? I'm not sure, but it would definitely be good for grass roots hockey on Vancouver Island. I'm hoping this repeated rumour comes true, hopefully not at the expense of another team though.
They are building a new arena downtown. Plan is to have it seat somewhere between 5000 and 7000 fans.

New arena will be located here:
http://goo.gl/maps/2FFtd

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

Nanaimo has about 100,000 residents and North Cowichan/Duncan, less than 40 minutes away, has another 45,000 residents. Then you have Parksville, the Alberni Valley, and even the Comox Valley isn't that long of a drive with the new highway (everyone flies down that highway. The last time I went to Courtenay, I think it only took about 45 minutes to get from Woodgrove Centre in Nanaimo to Courtenay).

Fan base of over 150,000 easily (probably closer to 200,000) and, unlike Victoria, Nanaimo is a quick, painless drive. I currently drive from Lake Cowichan or Duncan (depending on whether or not I have to pick my dad and brother up in LC) to Victoria to watch the Royals, but that's a long, long trip, especially with Victoria's traffic (even after the game, it's a nightmare), not to mention the gong show that is the Malahat.

Nanaimo is going to have to improve the crime problem in that area, however. I don't want to have my car broken into every time I go to watch a hockey game.

Last edited:

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
They are building a new arena downtown. Plan is to have it seat somewhere between 5000 and 7000 fans.

That is by far the ********* part of the entire city. Makes sense to put it downtown though but downtown isn't the real city center that it used to be. Putting the new arena by Woodgrove would make more sense as you could draw from other areas of the mid-Island better. But if a new arena will replace the Salvation Army or whatever is at that location now will help revitalise the southern end of downtown then so be it.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Please excuse my disdain for your verbiage... they're not building a new arena. There's been no shovels in the ground, no?

They want to. Big different between want and do.

They should, too.

To be honest, I wonder if Bill Gallacher's fallback position with the Winterhawks involves building a new arena in Nanaimo if the $10 million he's planning to spend on Coliseum upgrades in Portland never gets spent.

arsmaster*

Agreed with Tank44.

Could help give the downtown a facelift though. Nanaimo could have a very good downtown, and a nice new rink and WHL team would go a long way.

Nanaimo has about 100,000 residents and North Cowichan/Duncan, less than 40 minutes away, has another 45,000 residents. Then you have Parksville, the Alberni Valley, and even the Comox Valley isn't that long of a drive with the new highway (everyone flies down that highway. The last time I went to Courtenay, I think it only took about 45 minutes to get from Woodgrove Centre in Nanaimo to Courtenay).

Fan base of over 150,000 easily (probably closer to 200,000) and, unlike Victoria, Nanaimo is a quick, painless drive. I currently drive from Lake Cowichan or Duncan (depending on whether or not I have to pick my dad and brother up in LC) to Victoria to watch the Royals, but that's a long, long trip, especially with Victoria's traffic (even after the game, it's a nightmare), not to mention the gong show that is the Malahat.

Nanaimo is going to have to improve the crime problem in that area, however. I don't want to have my car broken into every time I go to watch a hockey game.
You can get to Woodgrove from Campbell River in under an hour. You might have to drive slightly over the speed limit, but everybody does already.

People will drive down for the big games and the big prospects.
That is by far the ********* part of the entire city. Makes sense to put it downtown though but downtown isn't the real city center that it used to be. Putting the new arena by Woodgrove would make more sense as you could draw from other areas of the mid-Island better. But if a new arena will replace the Salvation Army or whatever is at that location now will help revitalise the southern end of downtown then so be it.

I think revitalizing the down town core makes more sense than adding more emenities to the rich folks in the north end.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
About siting... NEVER make too many strides to accomodate fans who live more than 50 km away. That's going to be absolutely no more than 10% of any fan base, usually less... unless there's some ridiculous high-speed train on the island nobody's told me about. You guys already spend plenty on gas as it is.

Gas is more and more the reason for this assessment.

It's better when it's centered towards transit somehow, whether downtown or somewhere that's more than convenient by bus... or even by foot.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

I'm familiar with the area and their joke the Island Hwy is around the Nanamio area with all of those traffic lights as I often get held up almost every time I go up to Black Creek

It's doable but hard to compare with Kamloops that has a ton of very good paying blue collar jobs while alot of the Island demographic is older.

Still looking forward to it and think it would succeed..

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

C'mon. If Devils fans say Newark is perfectly safe, surely Nanaimo can't be that bad. :sarcasm:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
It will be where the railyard currently is, across the street from London Drugs.

Please excuse my disdain for your verbiage... they're not building a new arena. There's been no shovels in the ground, no?

They want to. Big different between want and do.

They should, too.

To be honest, I wonder if Bill Gallacher's fallback position with the Winterhawks involves building a new arena in Nanaimo if the $10 million he's planning to spend on Coliseum upgrades in Portland never gets spent.
Okay, they haven't broken ground primarily because they don't have the guarantee of a full-time resident (i.e. a WHL team).

The land has been purchased, the city has approved it, the native band has approved it, etc. etc. etc.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'm familiar with the area and their joke the Island Hwy is around the Nanamio area with all of those traffic lights as I often get held up almost every time I go up to Black Creek

It's doable but hard to compare with Kamloops that has a ton of very good paying blue collar jobs while alot of the Island demographic is older.

Still looking forward to it and think it would succeed..
Yeah, municipal governments here don't understand how a highway is supposed to work.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver

LOL Cliff McNabb holds about, 30 people hahahah and the ice is probably the worst quality I've ever played on...

You're probably referring to Frank Crane, the adjacent arena where the Clippers play, but it's a bit too small for WHL I'd think

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Nanaimo council votes to hold referendum on new event centre

Included in the next phase, the city will begin negotiations with the Western Hockey League on the possibility of awarding the Harbour City a WHL franchise – a team that could be the anchor tenant of the new facility. “If you wish to have an event centre without a major tenant, then you will fail,” said Coun. Bill Bestwick. Taxpayers who spoke to CTV News were divided on the issue, but will ultimately get their say at the polls. According to the city, a vote could be held as early as February 2017. If approved, the complex could be built by the summer of 2019.​

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Nanaimo council votes to hold referendum on new event centre

Included in the next phase, the city will begin negotiations with the Western Hockey League on the possibility of awarding the Harbour City a WHL franchise – a team that could be the anchor tenant of the new facility. “If you wish to have an event centre without a major tenant, then you will fail,†said Coun. Bill Bestwick. Taxpayers who spoke to CTV News were divided on the issue, but will ultimately get their say at the polls. According to the city, a vote could be held as early as February 2017. If approved, the complex could be built by the summer of 2019.​

I'm thinking Nanaimo ICE, as WHL hockey has run its course in Cranbrook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad