WHL in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Just wondering if there was ever any talk, or thought of a WHL franchise in minnesota? it would make sense to me considering minnesota produces many talented players, and could possibly expose more minnesotans to the dub, and possibly give kids from that state who wouldnt have thought about it previously some consideration. i kno its far, but it really wouldnt be much different then a trip from brandon to portland, etc.

dafranchz

I will say that I would love to see some postivie growth in that region. It would help out the the eastern most teams in the WHL. Even splinter the WHL and add an additional league under the CHL and finally add teams from the western side of the great lakes region.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
For how popular college and high school hockey is in Minnesota, would the WHL even be welcome? I think there would be alot of angry people if they did. Maybe thats why it hasnt happened.

mooseOAK*

High school and college hockey reign in Minnesota, there isn't room for the WHL that I can see.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I don't think that a WHL team would work for the WHL. One of the reasons Winnipeg does not have a WHL is due to the distance. Yes, the city is a little over 2 hours away from Brandon, however Brandon is already 4.5 hours away from the next closest city (Regina). Brandon is out of the way for the majority of these teams, Winnipeg even more so, and Minnesota even more so. The Dub would have to make a move to Winnipeg, and be successful, and have league wide support before a move to Minnesota would be feasible.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hasbro said:
What about Montana, Idaho and NoDak (again in some places.)
A group wanted to put a team in Boise, but the WHL nixed it because of travel distance.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
orangeandblack said:
Just wondering if there was ever any talk, or thought of a WHL franchise in minnesota?

No chance. Minnesotans are big believers in high school hockey and college hockey and anything that comes in and threatens that would surely be a miserable failure.

Bully73

Jul 22, 2004
Brandon
mymkovski said:
Brandon is already 4.5 hours away from the next closest city (Regina).
Actually its only 3.5 hours, but your point is right on. If the WHL had a choice, there wouldn't be a team in Brandon due to it being too far away from the rest of the teams in the league, therefore, we need to make sure we support our team so we don't lose it as we would never get one back.

BCCHL inactive

mymkovski said:
One of the reasons Winnipeg does not have a WHL is due to the distance. Yes, the city is a little over 2 hours away from Brandon, however Brandon is already 4.5 hours away from the next closest city (Regina).

Prince George has been a relatively successful franchise over the last 10 years, and their closest opponent (Kamloops) is 6 hours away by bus, and the next closest city (Kelowna) is another 2-3 hours on top of that. To be honest, I think out-of-conference Red Deer is closer to Prince George than Kelowna is.

Winnipeg could easily be successful in the WHL. I'm not so sure about Minnesota though. I think Idaho, Montana or North Dakota are more likely to get the WHL before Minnesota, and I don't see any of these states getting a team anytime soon.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Van said:
Winnipeg could easily be successful in the WHL. I'm not so sure about Minnesota though. I think Idaho, Montana or North Dakota are more likely to get the WHL before Minnesota, and I don't see any of these states getting a team anytime soon.

I don't doubt that it would be successful. I know it would be an extreme success. I'd be one of the first in line for season tickets and I know many others who feel the same way. I love making the drive down to Brandon to check out a game or two. However, in our city's attempt to get a team, or I should say preliminary debating and bantering, the point that we're so much farther away as come up as an issue.

mileflames

Jan 14, 2005
SwOOsh said:
We need an OHL team in Thunder Bay first ;)

Give TB a WHL team; travel would be better with cities like Brandon and add teams in Winnipeg and Minnesota.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
DeuceUNO said:
it'd be nice if we got a ushl team back first...

yeah, it is much more likely a USHL team will land here much sooner than a WHL team would. So many of the USHL players are from MN anyways...it makes sense. I wish they had a USHL team in the Twin Cities, I would go regularly. I moved here after the last one left. I used to go to Rochester Mustangs games all the time, they were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad