WHL Coaches/GM's

Hordichuk_24

Completely forgot about him, even after it was announced Huska was taking the job in Adirondack.

Could be a good move, he did alright with Abbotsford.

I have mixed feelings on the hiring. I know he wasn't their first choice. The two guys they wanted didn't want the job. So it came down to a large group of individuals they had to settle on. Not exactly an ideal scenario. We will have to wait and see how it turns out.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Weird. You would think Vancouver would be a cherry job, one of the best in the WHL.

As much as it is, or would be, it won't beat out a pro job all the time. Travis Green wanted to stay in Utica, and at his age, who can blame him? Steve Hamilton decided to takeover the defending Memorial Cup champions and Kevin Dineen went to become an assistant with a Stanley Cup contender. Don't think any of those decisions puts a blemish on the Giants.

While they may not have been able to land their #1, #2 or #3, it still speaks volumes of the franchise that there were a number of applicants who called to show interest. You think Moose Jaw was Tim Hunter's first choice?

It still remains to be seen how he does. I heard Scott Bonner on Team 1040 last week, saying he talked to a few ex-Giants who have been coached by Ward in the pros, and all gave him the thumbs up.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

Weird. You would think Vancouver would be a cherry job, one of the best in the WHL.

You'd think but a lot has changed. The Giants are a far cry from what they were six or seven years ago. Not to mention Toigo isn't as willing to dish out the cash like he did for Don Hay. He probably would have paid more for someone like Travis Green but Green made it clear his goal is to coach in the NHL. And he believes coaching in the AHL gives him a better chance at achieving that. I'd have to agree. Hamilton didn't want to move his family and he has a better team in Edmonton as it stands. So that isn't surprising he took himself out of the running.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad