WHL Coaches/GM's

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Hitmen name Mark French as their new coach: whl.ca/article/hitmen-name-mark-french-head-coach

A bit older news but the Blades name Bob Woods as GM and head coach: /whl.ca/article/blades-hire-bob-woods-as-gm-and-head-coach/162987

Royals coach has been named as an assistant for Canada's World Junior squad: whl.ca/article/royals-lowry-named-to-world-jr-staff/163085

Oil Kings coach Laxdal has been named head coach for Canada's U-18's: whl.ca/article/oil-kings-laxdal-named-head-coach-u18/163089

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Giants might get Tim Hunter as coach, but are maybe not totally sold on him yet, so they will extend their search.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

The Giants might get Tim Hunter as coach, but are maybe not totally sold on him yet, so they will extend their search.

They really want Travis Green but I don't think he wants to return to junior so quickly after receiving a pro coaching gig. Steve Hamilton was their next choice but he has taken himself out of the running. So it's really a toss up right now. Hunter was the first to apply for the job and he really wants it. But from my view if they really wanted him as their guy he would have been hired by now. It seems he is a potential fall back choice.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
They really want Travis Green but I don't think he wants to return to junior so quickly after receiving a pro coaching gig. Steve Hamilton was their next choice but he has taken himself out of the running. So it's really a toss up right now. Hunter was the first to apply for the job and he really wants it. But from my view if they really wanted him as their guy he would have been hired by now. It seems he is a potential fall back choice.

Nah, Green is staying pro I think, it depends on if the Nucks want to keep him too though.

Hordichuk_24

Nah, Green is staying pro I think, it depends on if the Nucks want to keep him too though.

It also depends on the Canucks head coaching situation. If by chance someone like Mike Johnston is hired you can almost guarantee Travis Green will be an assistant. At this point it's really a waiting game. Once a few dominoes fall things will start to shape up rather quickly.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It also depends on the Canucks head coaching situation. If by chance someone like Mike Johnston is hired you can almost guarantee Travis Green will be an assistant. At this point it's really a waiting game. Once a few dominoes fall things will start to shape up rather quickly.

Well it's maybe looking more and more like Hunter will be the guy if that happens.

Hordichuk_24

It appears that way but I think Toigo is going to make one final hard push for Green. Even if it means paying him more than he is making now. That won't be a problem. I still think Green stays in the pro ranks but money talks so you never know. Apparently there is still one "unnamed" guy in the mix. I've heard a few names but I'm not sure if they are that unnamed person specifically or someone else entirely.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Good for Huska, definitely paid his dues. Hope he does well in Adirondack. Can't see Lambert not getting the job there. That's one thing I've always admired about Kelowna is the way they've promoted their assistant coaches over the years. It's why they've been competitive for the past decade.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/0...rther-complicates-whl-giants-coaching-search/

Mike Johnston going to Pittsburgh complicates WHL coaching searches.

Portland rumoured to be luring Travis Green away from AHL Utica. Hasn't been given a definitive answer for the Comets next year. The Penguins have apparently been given permission by the Canucks to talk to Green as well, which is no surprise with Johnston now in Pittsburgh.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Interested too see who ends up in PG. It seems like a tough place to be, but with ownership changing, a new GM will be given a lot of control.

Portland on the other hand is a odd situation. Great teams recently, Team has become competitive every year, but with no 1st round picks, I wonder which GM would want to take it on.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interested too see who ends up in PG. It seems like a tough place to be, but with ownership changing, a new GM will be given a lot of control.

Portland on the other hand is a odd situation. Great teams recently, Team has become competitive every year, but with no 1st round picks, I wonder which GM would want to take it on.

Pretty much a no brainer that their assistant will take the job in Portland.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Now Toigo says an announcement won't be made this week. When I heard Hiller dropped out of the running I had a feeling this would continue on even longer.

Looks like they really don't want Hunter, but might have to bite the bullet on him.

Hordichuk_24

Looks like they really don't want Hunter, but might have to bite the bullet on him.

Seriously. He was the first to apply and his name just hasn't disappeared from the list. If the feeling were mutual (from the Giants) it would've been a done deal by now. I'm wondering if he's only really in the mix because of his relationship with Pat Quinn? He does have a lot of coaching experience but none as a head coach. He still seems more qualified than other names that were in the mix at one point or another. Apparently they are still chasing an unknown candidate one currently awaiting to hear back from an NHL team.

It just shows how far this organization has dropped over the years. Six years ago hiring a top notch coach would've been easy. Now this isn't really the most ideal place to come and coach.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Forgot to mention that coach will be Troy Ward. I heard that rumor earlier and Jay Janower confirmed that via Twitter a few minutes ago.

Completely forgot about him, even after it was announced Huska was taking the job in Adirondack.

Could be a good move, he did alright with Abbotsford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->