WHL Coaches/GM's

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Who has been fired and who will be hired, Seattle has a coaching spot open right now, any speculation as to who might fill it?

Who are the best coaches and GM's in the league?

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
Pats let go of both Assistants, Sutter and some other guy. Not expecting them to let go of Hunt though.

I also think Hunt is one of the Leagues best coaches.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
I think Seattle would be likely to end up with Ryan McGill who was just let go by the Calgary Flames.

He has lots of experience at all levels, has won a WHL and Mem. Cup Championship with the Kootenay Ice (with Clouston as his assistant). Also, McGill played for the Philadelphia Flyers at a time that a current Seattle Thunderbird owner and GM was the GM for the Flyers.

For these reasons I see arrows pointing to Ryan McGill taking the Seattle Thunderbirds HC spot unless he finds a place higher up.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Now that Hartsburg is gone in Everett, who will fill that position, possibly Clouston or McGill or anyone else?

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
Dave Barr has been given the MJ HC spot but is given some time to find a diff. job in the NHL but it's expected he will sign on there.

I had heard Everett would be willing to put up the money & term for Clouston. Have not heard a whisper out of Regina yet although they are interviewing people.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Dave Barr has been given the MJ HC spot but is given some time to find a diff. job in the NHL but it's expected he will sign on there.

I had heard Everett would be willing to put up the money & term for Clouston. Have not heard a whisper out of Regina yet although they are interviewing people.

Yeah, I heard about Barr. Nice Everett news, so Clouston is coming back.

Elioplieno

Aug 15, 2011
Portland
I believe Mike Johnston of the Portland Winterhawks is one of the best GM's/Coach in the league.

Don Hay you could argue is the best. I'm not familiar with much in the east but I know Saskatoon's GM made a great deal this year...oh wait.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I believe Mike Johnston of the Portland Winterhawks is one of the best GM's/Coach in the league.

Don Hay you could argue is the best. I'm not familiar with much in the east but I know Saskatoon's GM made a great deal this year...oh wait.

And he is the coach too, didn't do so well in the playoffs again.

RetiredHockeyDad

Nov 27, 2009
Oh, I wasnt aware he was the coach as well.

I was kidding, I thought it was funny how they gave up the farm for Schenn, then lost like they did.

I wouldn't be laughing too hard as a Portland fan, because Portland blew their chance also. Going last place in the league for 3 seasons (06/07, 07/08 (a ridiculous 11 win season), 08/09) getting the top draft picks and import draft picks and making a couple of trades (Cunningham) just to finish on the sidelines with Saskatoon isn't something I would brag about.:shakehead

Elioplieno

Aug 15, 2011
Portland
I wouldn't be laughing too hard as a Portland fan, because Portland blew their chance also. Going last place in the league for 3 seasons (06/07, 07/08 (a ridiculous 11 win season), 08/09) getting the top draft picks and import draft picks and making a couple of trades (Cunningham) just to finish on the sidelines with Saskatoon isn't something I would brag about.:shakehead

Well you clearly don't know the situation Portland was in during those three seasons. We had the worst ownership, and they were purposely driving the team into the ground. I don't feel like getting to much into that, but it was a dark time in Portland with those clowns as owners.

As for this season, I dont know how you can be disappointed with being knocked out in the WHL finals. Did we have the talent to beat Kootenay? Absolutely. But as we all know, talent alone does not win. We were able to squeak by in the regular season on talent alone, but you cant win many playoff series' like that. Kootenay didnt have the most talented roster, but they played a phenomenal game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Oh, I wasnt aware he was the coach as well.

I was kidding, I thought it was funny how they gave up the farm for Schenn, then lost like they did.

They didn't really give up the farm...and Molleken was in a lose-lose situation.

If he makes the trade and fails, ppl complain.

If he doesn't make the trade (everyone was expecting it here in Stoon) then ppl complain.

The only way it would've worked was if he made the trade and the Blades went all the way. Obviously it's easier said then done and in the end they lost to the best. So be it.

RetiredHockeyDad

Nov 27, 2009
Because of the draft system in the WHL, winning is (and should be) a very cyclical thing. When teams feel it is their time, they make a deal or two to try and put them over the top.
Saskatoon gave up the farm to get Schenn (the Blades will pay dearly for giving up the 1st and 2nd pick for 3 years). But I would have made the same deal. Kootenay made a deal for Eakin and Portland dealt for Cunningham. The year before Calgary acquired Shattock, Bubnick and Stebner. All deals to try and win the EC Cup. With the deals, all the teams will end up paying for it in the end by having to struggle for the playoffs or playoff success.
Saying Mike Johnston is one of the best because he took a talent loaded team to the finals, is premature. Let's see what he does this year or next with a less talented squad.
Laughing at the Blades is fun but most of us were in awe when the deal was made and most of us would have made the same deal if we were in the GM's position.
What deals will be made this year as teams vie for the EC Cup?

Elioplieno

Aug 15, 2011
Portland
Because of the draft system in the WHL, winning is (and should be) a very cyclical thing. When teams feel it is their time, they make a deal or two to try and put them over the top.
Saskatoon gave up the farm to get Schenn (the Blades will pay dearly for giving up the 1st and 2nd pick for 3 years). But I would have made the same deal. Kootenay made a deal for Eakin and Portland dealt for Cunningham. The year before Calgary acquired Shattock, Bubnick and Stebner. All deals to try and win the EC Cup. With the deals, all the teams will end up paying for it in the end by having to struggle for the playoffs or playoff success.
Saying Mike Johnston is one of the best because he took a talent loaded team to the finals, is premature. Let's see what he does this year or next with a less talented squad.
Laughing at the Blades is fun but most of us were in awe when the deal was made and most of us would have made the same deal if we were in the GM's position.
What deals will be made this year as teams vie for the EC Cup?

Well I didnt say that he's the best because of this year, that would just be a silly statement. But what he's done the past 2 1/2 seasons he has been here has been great.

If Nino comes back to Portland, I'm wondering if we trade him. Depending on his mindset when he comes back. I'd love to keep him, but I cant even imagine the kind of offers we would get for him. Maybe Johnston shops him around? We will see. I could see Pickard being moved as well. Dont know much in the east, so cant say for them.

RetiredHockeyDad

Nov 27, 2009
I believe Mike Johnston of the Portland Winterhawks is one of the best GM's/Coach in the league.Well I didnt say that he's the best because of this year, that would just be a silly statement. But what he's done the past 2 1/2 seasons he has been here has been great.

What has he done to make him great or one of the best? Taken a "talent laden team" to a 2nd round defeat in 2010 and a defeat to a less talented squad (Kootenay) in 2011. If that's all it takes to be great or one of the best, then the WHL has a lot of great coaches!:laugh:

Elioplieno

Aug 15, 2011
Portland
I believe Mike Johnston of the Portland Winterhawks is one of the best GM's/Coach in the league.Well I didnt say that he's the best because of this year, that would just be a silly statement. But what he's done the past 2 1/2 seasons he has been here has been great.

What has he done to make him great or one of the best? Taken a "talent laden team" to a 2nd round defeat in 2010 and a defeat to a less talented squad (Kootenay) in 2011. If that's all it takes to be great or one of the best, then the WHL has a lot of great coaches!:laugh:

Maybe I should say, he could become one of the best rather quickly? Would that make you happy? He has brought in players that didnt want to play here, that were going to go the NCAA route. He's made some draft picks that we will see this year (and that we are very excited about seeing here). And look at his time in the NHL, just shows his experience and that he knows what he is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->