WHL Bantam Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
also who has the top picks this year? Im kind of interested in this as well. Id love a star to come to calgary. We dont really have one right now aside from pogge. I liked Getzlaf, even though we are more successful now without him haha. Ladd wasnt a star IMO though.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
1. Jared Cowan, Sask. Contacts Midget AAA
2. Ryan Howse, Prince George Bantam AAA
3. Cole Penner, Medicine Hat Bantam AAA
4. Burke Gallimore, CAC Alberta Bantam AAA
5. Collin Bowman, N. Shore Winter Club Bantam AAA
6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA
7. Erich Binner, Calgary SWAA White Bantam
8. Riley Boychuk, Abbotsford AAA
9. Shane Harle, North Shore Winter Club Bantam AAA
10. Matt MacKenzie, Burnaby Bantam AAA

Top Ten as rated by the International Scouting Service

others I have heard about:

Scott Ramsey, Abbotsford Bantam AAA
Brodie Melnychuk, Notre Dame AAA
Jeff Regier, Abbotsford AAA
Brant Henry-Norton, Prince Albert Pirates AA
Linden Vey, Naicam AA

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain*

The draft is late in May. Some prospects to watch according to The Hockey News are:

1. Jared Cowan- Saskatoon Contacts (AAA Midget)
2. Jimmy Bubnick- Saskatoon Outlaws (Teir 1 bantam)
3. Carter Ashton (Brents Son)- Saskatoon Frostbite (Teir 1 bantam)
4. Landon Ferraro (Rays Son)- Burnaby Winter Club
5. Ryan Howse- (Prince George)

Non play-offs teams like Red Deer and PA will have the top picks.

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
I thought maybe one of the kids from my city(Leduc) would have been on it. Is there a link I can get to to see a more extended list?

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Eb0la11 said:
also who has the top picks this year? Im kind of interested in this as well. Id love a star to come to calgary. We dont really have one right now aside from pogge. I liked Getzlaf, even though we are more successful now without him haha. Ladd wasnt a star IMO though.

The draft i believe (as any draft goes) will go in the reverse order of the standings, barring lottery changes. Andrew Ladd was not a high pick. Players selected high in the Bantam Draft occasionally do not become stars at the Major Junior. In Calgary, for example, Keegan Dansereaux, Riley Merkley and Brett Sonne have not yet emerged as star calibre players (Sonne being a 16 year old, this is not suprising) It is almost impossible to predict who will become stars and who will not, other than the given picks (Angelo Esposito, Gilbert Brule, John Tavares, Jonathon Toews (NCAA), & Zach Hamill for example)

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
kingpin_19 said:
The draft i believe (as any draft goes) will go in the reverse order of the standings, barring lottery changes. Andrew Ladd was not a high pick. Players selected high in the Bantam Draft occasionally do not become stars at the Major Junior. In Calgary, for example, Keegan Dansereaux, Riley Merkley and Brett Sonne have not yet emerged as star calibre players (Sonne being a 16 year old, this is not suprising) It is almost impossible to predict who will become stars and who will not, other than the given picks (Angelo Esposito, Gilbert Brule, John Tavares, Jonathon Toews (NCAA), & Zach Hamill for example)
I disagree, the scouts have a pretty good idea who is going to be good or not. There is the odd exception though. I think Lupul (Ducks) wasn't drafted in the WHL bantam draft a few years ago.

Transported Upstater

kingpin_19 said:

It is even more so a risk in the Dub; the other two leagues are Midget Drafts, so the players often come right in and play the next year, whereas in the Dub they can't (for more than a few games.)

So that takes even more accurate scouting from the WHL teams than from the other two leagues, because they have an entire additional year of development to forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad