WHL and USA College

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Could a player in the WHL then when hits 20 go to a USA College with the funds and play in the ACHA for fun ?

Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 18 years of age on or before September 15 are ineligible to compete in the ACHA, so no. Are those funds you mentioned the college money the teams give players? I know in the Q and the O, I'm pretty sure the Dub follows this also, that money is for select schools and can't just be anywhere. They're mostly schools close to the team. For example, I know that the Moncton Wilcats in the Q give players money to go to University of New Brunswick and Université de Moncton and players can't use those funds to go to University of Rhode Island in the States.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Players rostered on a CHL team in the season during which they turn 18 years of age on or before September 15 are ineligible to compete in the ACHA, so no. Are those funds you mentioned the college money the teams give players? I know in the Q and the O, I'm pretty sure the Dub follows this also, that money is for select schools and can't just be anywhere. They're mostly schools close to the team. For example, I know that the Moncton Wilcats in the Q give players money to go to University of New Brunswick and Université de Moncton and players can't use those funds to go to University of Rhode Island in the States.
Graduates from the CHL now get the same education packages in all three leagues. One year of "local" tuition for each year played; i.e. if you play for Edmonton you get whatever the UofAlberta tuition rate is (or some averaging formula of Alberta universities). The CHL players can take that education package to ANY post-secondary institution, including trade schools.

So if he is a player for the Saint John SeaDogs in the Q, he is going to have an education package worth around $6500 x 4 years (for most 20 year olds). He could then then attend a school in the States if he wanted, but he only has $6500 Canadian a year to work with. That would cover his total tuition at UNB, or most of his tuition at say StFX (which has a higher tuition fee than UNB).

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Further to Foyle's comment above, the "scholarship" can be applied to multiple institutions. As one example, one player with four years of WHL experience had his undergraduate tuition covered for 3 years at RMC, then for one year of graduate studies at Regina.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The CHL players can take that education package to ANY post-secondary institution, including trade schools.

... in any country, provided their marks from high school and their continuing education program meet the institution's requirements for the program they want to enter.

'continuing education program' - to maintain their CHL Education Package eligibility, they must enroll in courses at university, college or online university/college after high school (when they are 19 & 20) while they are playing to maintain their eligibility for their packages. These courses generally count towards their degree and allow the prospective student athlete a leg-up in finishing early (less than 4 years, but they do start school later then most students at 20-21).

The 'local' tuition rule no longer exists for some leagues - the player can now go to whatever school accepts him, and the program covers the tuition.

WHL Scholarship website - "For every season a player plays in the WHL, they receive a full year guaranteed Scholarship, including tuition, textbooks and compulsory fees, to a post-secondary institution of their choice"

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
These courses generally count towards their degree and allow the prospective student athlete a leg-up in finishing early (less than 4 years, but they do start school later then most students at 20-21).

These courses often aide student-athletes in their ability to be accepted at certain schools/in certain programs - usually, the entrance requirements are lower for university transfer students vs. new students. At Waterloo, for instance, a student is considered a transfer student if they have 4 university credits, and the faculty of arts requires a cumulative average of only 65% as a transfer student (in stead of high-70s or low-80s high-school grades).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad