Whither the taxi squad?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cap Friendly has now listed the players on the taxi squads for all 31 teams, and I'd have to say the guys on the Canucks six-man squad are raising alarm bells for me.

Currently the Canucks have: DiPietro, Michaelis, Bailey, Brisebois, Rathbone and Rafferty as members of the taxi squad.

What's concerning is that four of the players on that list are either rookies or reasonably promising prospects. Bailey and Brisebois are probably AHL material at this point in their careers. But the other guys need to be playing. They need to find out what they have in Rathbone, Michaelis, DiPietro and Rafferty.

Looking around the league, a lot of teams have loaded up on veteran players on their taxi squads and sent their prospects to the minors. The Canucks have at least two of their best prospects sitting gathering dust. Why they sent Baertschi, Graovac and Sautner to the minors instead of to the taxi squad is a mystery and troubling to me.

Apparently the Canucks are only going to promote guys from the taxi squad in an 'emergency'. But the 'emergency' is having young guys who need minutes and who aren't playing.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I hate to blame this on Benning, but this one is definitely on him and Ryan Johnson, the Utica Comets GM.

The tricky thing is the taxi squad is kind of like an AHL-lite, because they have to clear waivers.

DiPietro should definitely NOT be on the taxi squad, he should have been put with the Moose/Comets to get games. I mean Domingue was a perfect 3rd goalie and we let him go to Calgary, where he's sitting on their taxi squad.

Maybe one of Rathbone or Rafferty should have been sent to get more games. Sautner is a finished product and should have been on the taxi squad.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is the A even up and running right now? Thought it was end of February before they get started.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Cap Friendly has now listed the players on the taxi squads for all 31 teams, and I'd have to say the guys on the Canucks six-man squad are raising alarm bells for me.

Currently the Canucks have: DiPietro, Michaelis, Bailey, Brisebois, Rathbone and Rafferty as members of the taxi squad.

What's concerning is that four of the players on that list are either rookies or reasonably promising prospects. Bailey and Brisebois are probably AHL material at this point in their careers. But the other guys need to be playing. They need to find out what they have in Rathbone, Michaelis, DiPietro and Rafferty.

Looking around the league, a lot of teams have loaded up on veteran players on their taxi squads and sent their prospects to the minors. The Canucks have at least two of their best prospects sitting gathering dust. Why they sent Baertschi, Graovac and Sautner to the minors instead of to the taxi squad is a mystery and troubling to me.

Apparently the Canucks are only going to promote guys from the taxi squad in an 'emergency'. But the 'emergency' is having young guys who need minutes and who aren't playing.

Isn't Eriksson on it as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad