Whiteout origins

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Last whiteout involving the Jets was in 1996, yes. The last real whiteout in this city was in 1999 - the gold medal game of the World Junior Championships against Russia.

I was there when Afinogenov scored in overtime.:cry:

I was there. The white-out is a jinx. We cannot become the Cubs over this.

WWoJeff

WWo Co-Founder
Mar 30, 2010
Calgary
winnipegwhiteout.com
Check out the Jets-Calgary series for the lack of white:

First two games in Winnipeg was pre-whiteout. After two games in Calgary the idea became to respond to Calgary's C of Red. It was proposed by Rod Palson at the advertising agency working with the Jets at the time and figuring that “look, everyone has a white T-shirt in his closet. Why not Wear White Tonight?†And from that simple concept: Everyone has a white T-shirt; the White Out was born.

Add to the fact that a radio personality promoted this concept and to this day takes credit for the creation of the whiteout, Winnipegers responded and hence the third game played in Winnipeg you'll see most dressed in white.

Sure there was a lack of success in playoffs with the whiteout but anyone who attributes the on ice performance or lack there off to the color of shirt those in the fans wear are a tad superstitious. The Whiteout is a Winnipeg tradition and one that I feel should return, I just hope the 13,000 season ticket holders feel the same way.

As for the Jets organization when I had a chance to interview Scott Brown in the offseason last year it was a topic that was still open for internal debate.

The decision basically went down to how can they ask fans who shelled out $300+ for a blue home jersey to not wear it. They like the concept of the whiteout and what it does for the atmosphere during a game but are very concious about the money spent factor.

The fact that the IceCaps promoted a whiteout in St. John's last season is a sign that the organization is still considering it and hopefully this year the Jets can make the post season and we'll be able to put this debate to rest once and for all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad