Whiteout origins

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Well, I guess you must feel pretty good that I proved your points! :)

I take it your claim that it was a failure was based on the Jets never going beyond the first round. Question for you. If you're saying that the White-Out was a failure because the of the Jets never advancing in the play-offs, does that mean that any team that wins, wins because the fans of that team are successful in their cheering? So 50% of fans are losers and failures?

Also, I take it then from your comments about Lyle Moffatt's girlfriend, that you were there and part of it? I was. The White-Out started in the southend seats - I was there; I was there for the very first NHL play-off series against the Blues, I was there for the '84 series against both Calgary, where the seeds were first planted for the White-Out, and Edmonton, and I was there in '87 against Edmonton when the White-Out bloomed into what we remember today.

I was part of the southend fans that began it - you can see me screaming and gesturing behind Don Cherry and Ron McLean during the pre-game in the '84 series. By the third home game, you can clearly see most of the southend wearing white and taunting Reggie Lemelin for the entire game. You can claim all you want that the team was behind it from the beginning, but, I was there. I still have the ticket stub somewhere in my memorabilia. In fact, you can argue until you're blue in the face, but I was there. Unless you have concrete evidence that the White-Out was planned in the Jets executive offices prior to April 1984, your claim is baseless. Again, I'll remind you, I was there. For every single game. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it's farcical to suggest that the Jets executive suite had the collective brains to germinate something like the White-Out. Come on, Hockey 8 Ventures? That organization rivals the fictional Cleveland Indians of "Major League" for futility.

A White-Out against St. Louis?

GrosCaca.jpg

Look at the videos of playoff games and there was nothing until the team promoted it.

The White-out forever shall be associated with blowing 3-1 leads. Before we become the Cubs we must bury it.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Check out the Jets-Calgary series for the lack of white:

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
A White-Out against St. Louis?

GrosCaca.jpg

Look at the videos of playoff games and there was nothing until the team promoted it.

The White-out forever shall be associated with blowing 3-1 leads. Before we become the Cubs we must bury it.

Okay, then.

If this is your best response to what I posted, then this discussion is finished. If you're not willing to muster an argument to my post, then why should I bother to argue with a pedantic?

JetsAccess*

i would take a whiteout experience in the old barn over a stanley cup run anyday without whiteout.

those were the best sporting moments ever!

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
i would take a whiteout experience in the old barn over a stanley cup run anyday without whiteout.

those were the best sporting moments ever!

2891002-triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

How about we cheer for our team to actually win instead of copying some stupid "tradition" that went out of style 15 years ago... Quit living in the past!

White Out 403*

2891002-triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

How about we cheer for our team to actually win instead of copying some stupid "tradition" that went out of style 15 years ago... Quit living in the past!

lol! yes his post was silly. but guess what? the same way that the people wanted winnipeg jets as the name and got it is the same thing thats happening with the white out. its the best playoff tradition hockey has seen and its going to happen. why dont you tell montreal to take down their red white and blue ribbons and tell them to stop living in the past?

Last edited by a moderator:

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
lol! yes his post was silly. but guess what? the same way that the people wanted winnipeg jets as the name and got it is the same thing thats happening with the white out. its the best playoff tradition hockey has seen and its going to happen. why dont you tell montreal to take down their red white and blue ribbons and tell them to stop living in the past?
Who gives a **** about montreal? not I. Why should we follow them? They also didn't lose a team and the ridiculous traditions. The ONLY thing the Jets of old have in similarity to the new Jets is the name, everything else is different, different generation, different venue, different logos, jerseys, merchandise..... shall I go on?

The problem is we don't own the whiteout, it is no longer special, EVERYONE else does the same. Which is why I am all for new traditions that beat the old outdated ones.

White Out 403*

Who gives a **** about montreal? not I. Why should we follow them? They also didn't lose a team and the ridiculous traditions. The ONLY thing the Jets of old have in similarity to the new Jets is the name, everything else is different, different generation, different venue, different logos, jerseys, merchandise..... shall I go on?

The problem is we don't own the whiteout, it is no longer special, EVERYONE else does the same. Which is why I am all for new traditions that beat the old outdated ones.

How old are you?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
LOL at all the back and forth. Either it will happen or it won't when we reach the playoffs. Either a ton of people will show up in white and the rest will follow rabidly or it will fade off into the sunset.

We will not know until our first playoff game so there is no real point of ripping each other apart over an unknown.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Can just see it....

The first NHL playoff game in 16 years. We are on national TV. And we end up having a massive brawl in the stands between thousands of people wearing white and thousands of people wearing blue.

White Out 403*

30 why does that matter? I was there back then, but I am here now.

i dont believe for a second your 30. and if you are then you're readiness to throw away winnipeg hockey tradition is troubling to say the least.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
OK, guys. Slow your roll.

Do not forget that we don't make this about individual posters. Stay on topic or you will be threadbanned or more.

Continue.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Tired of this thread and the 'booing' thread. All attempts at one-upmanship, groups calling out each other, implications of what being a 'true fan' implies running rampant. 'I'm a better fan because I do/don't do this. You're not a hockey fan if you do/don't do this.' People trying apply standards of measurement to their love of the team, or the sport of hockey, or the history/non-history of the city even.

Lock both these threads, they've run their course, nothing good is coming out of them. :rant:

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
FWIW in case any of you fanatics care, my wife just bought me an away jersey with Bogosian on it for my birthday....

I'm still wearing my home jersey to home games! :D

I agree with Wings, both of these threads along with the "Byfuglien to Forward" thread have me very disappointed to be part of this fan group. Those who single people out for not conforming to the masses are no better than the worst of the worst Leafs' fans.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Tired of this thread and the 'booing' thread. All attempts at one-upmanship, groups calling out each other, implications of what being a 'true fan' implies running rampant. 'I'm a better fan because I do/don't do this. You're not a hockey fan if you do/don't do this.' People trying apply standards of measurement to their love of the team, or the sport of hockey, or the history/non-history of the city even.

Lock both these threads, they've run their course, nothing good is coming out of them. :rant:

As an attempt at an olive branch, I'd just like to offer that, for anyone who did witness the first white out, I'd imagine they wholeheartedly just want those who didn't experience it to get the chance to. Say what you want about jersey colours or reasons for the whiteout origin, it was just a chance to go absolutely mental for your team.

Of course new fans and old fans alike will make the playoff experience absolutely great with/without the whiteout, but it does add some serious spice. It really does. Just look at the smiles on people's faces in those old YT clips.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

As an attempt at an olive branch, I'd just like to offer that, for anyone who did witness the first white out, I'd imagine they wholeheartedly just want those who didn't experience it to get the chance to. Say what you want about jersey colours or reasons for the whiteout origin, it was just a chance to go absolutely mental for your team.

Of course new fans and old fans alike will make the playoff experience absolutely great with/without the whiteout, but it does add some serious spice. It really does. Just look at the smiles on people's faces in those old YT clips.

I have not taken issue with either side on the "whither the White-out"; but I do agree with those calling for some peace and moderation here. My previous posts here have had nothing to do with calling for or against the White-out, just wanting to shed light on the beginnings of it.

I would welcome the White-out, but if the majority of fans start some other play-off tradition, I'll get on board. What we have here is a mix of Jets 1.0 tradition lovers and haters, and a collection of old and new fans - why don't we just mix the old traditions (White-out) with the new (True North!) and enjoy the ride?

Regardless of what the fans in attendance wear, we need to make the MTSC the loudest and scariest building to be in for any play-off games (and pray that we should be so fortunate as to witness any play-off games this season).

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

It actually is different - it's organic. People didn't need to have white t-shirts draped over their seats to wear white. They did it on there own.

If the jets make the playoffs this year, the fans will be wearing white. If you and a few others want to try and start your own traditions by wearing blue instead, feel free. But be prepared to be disappointed when no one else chooses to go the same route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->