Whiteout origins

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Well how dumb did it look when the Wings skated out on the ice in white surrounded by a sea of white and proceeded to thump the Yotes? Looked like they were playing at home. As for the Calgary difference, you say the fans wore red? Did the opposing team skate out wearing red? Nope. See any slight subtle difference there?

Bad example... Phoenix couldn't sell their playoff tickets even at their 1980s pricing and >50% of the fans in the building came from Detroit... so yes, it was more or less a Wings home game.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
buggs you are so wrong on many levels.

I've watched and listened to NCAA Basketball games, NBA games and heard the announcers mention Winnipeg.

I've also heard sports shows mention Winnipeg White Out when talking about the Jets or just anything in general.

[mod]

Wish I could have read the original message. :laugh: Sadly I didn't get to see the original, so I can only address one 'level':

I never said they don't mention Winnipeg. There's no doubt that the Jets 1.0 cemented the location of where Winnipeg was in the minds of a great many Americans who wouldn't otherwise have a clue. But I seriously doubt in a basketball broadcast that they were talking about how the whiteout was started in Winnipeg, was a Winnipeg tradition and most assuredly would return should Winnipeg get another hockey team. Of course to an extent I'm putting words in your mouth because you didn't state that specifically. My point is just that the whiteout has been co-opted, at the very least, by Phoenix and Pittsburgh - nobody will care whether we do it, even if we do it so much better. I agree folks may reference it, in passing, as where it originated, but I'm sure they don't suggest we have some sort of patent on it.

And as a big basketball fan myself, unlike most here but seemingly like yourself, I'm kind of doubting that the NBA/NCAA folks were really referencing Winnipeg all that much during their broadcasts. Like the hockey guys here, basketball guys don't really have all that much love for hockey, especially stateside. Sure, Canadian guys who like basketball can function in both worlds, but hockey is pretty alien to the American basketball circles. Not a lot of Canadians in the NBA historically, Nash's level of success notwithstanding. So while I get your point, I'm going to politely suggest you're exaggerating a tad.

Bad example... Phoenix couldn't sell their playoff tickets even at their 1980s pricing and >50% of the fans in the building came from Detroit... so yes, it was more or less a Wings home game.

Mea culpa. It still looked dumb at that time. I do recall all the white Wings jerseys in the crowd though, but yes, in the sense of how it worked out in Phoenix it was a bad example. I think it still looked dumb last year when they had a good run and more of their own fans in the stands than the other teams.

Guys here are right though, it'll come back should we make the playoffs. It'll just be silly to me and some others. If you view it as tradition and it makes you happy, so be it. If flaming me because I disagree makes you even happier, have at it. Everyone is tough behind a keyboard. :laugh:

My prediction ( for those that say we can't wear white at home )... give it 5 years. All teams will be wearing white at home again once the NHL decides it wants another money grab.... while I'm wearing white in the playoffs regardless of the colour the Jets are wearing.

I think this and the rest of cbcwpg's post pretty much nails it.

AriIQ

Jan 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Who cares what it looks like? We know who we are cheering for, the jets know who we are cheering for and the opposing team def won't accidentally think we their home fan base (especially if we are chanting their goalies name).

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
And another thing, who cares if I choose to wear what I want to a Jets came to sit in MY season ticket seats?

It doesn't make me any less of a fan of my home team, I'm just proud to wear the blue jersey which looks 100x better than the whites in my opinion.

Besides with the way the weather is going lately we'll all be wearing coats overtop our clothes anyways.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
And another thing, who cares if I choose to wear what I want to a Jets came to sit in MY season ticket seats?

It doesn't make me any less of a fan of my home team, I'm just proud to wear the blue jersey which looks 100x better than the whites in my opinion.

Besides with the way the weather is going lately we'll all be wearing coats overtop our clothes anyways.

Fair enough. It is your choice and they are your seats, but it's not about looking good IMO. It's about being a part of something special. For me, it's unfathomable to not wear white if that becomes the obvious consensus.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011

Where you sitting? I'll call your bluff and say you'll be wearing white. :laugh:

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Fair enough. It is your choice and they are your seats, but it's not about looking good IMO. It's about being a part of something special. For me, it's unfathomable to not wear white if that becomes the obvious consensus.

Exactly. It's not about you. It's about the fans and the city celebrating their team and our traditions. We all come out in white and go nuts because that kind of unity shows the world how insanely invested we are in our team and how much we care and support them :yo:

I mean, sure you are allowed to where whatever you want, it's a free country. But in my opinion, and No True Scotsman aside - if you're at a Jets playoff game and you're not decked out in white, you're not fully supporting the team.

I don't know if I'm being harsh, but it's just that I really don't understand wanting to stubbornly wear your jersey when the entire city's going to be decked out in white backing our team. Maybe it's because it's more of an emotional than a logical issue for me, but feel free to help me understand.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Let's make the playoffs first...

Final thought from me on this topic...maybe
One thing I think 95% of us can agree on is this: Whatever the movement is by the majority of fans, we'll embrace it. If you want blue or white it won't matter once the decision is made.
I prefer blue, but if it happens to be a white out, I'll be decked out in white.
I think theres too much garbage about the preference in colour defining you as a fan. It in no way changes how much you care about the team.
Either way, we're all Jets fans and there are way to many attack posts in this thread directed at people who happen to disagree. The fact we're able to have this debate is wonderful, why not keep it respectful?

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Exactly. It's not about you. It's about the fans and the city celebrating their team and our traditions. We all come out in white and go nuts because that kind of unity shows the world how insanely invested we are in our team and how much we care and support them :yo:

I mean, sure you are allowed to where whatever you want, it's a free country. But in my opinion, and No True Scotsman aside - if you're at a Jets playoff game and you're not decked out in white, you're not fully supporting the team.

I don't know if I'm being harsh, but it's just that I really don't understand wanting to stubbornly wear your jersey when the entire city's going to be decked out in white backing our team. Maybe it's because it's more of an emotional than a logical issue for me, but feel free to help me understand.

Seems to me there's no reason or need to worry about whether or not you or anyone else "understand" - if the team wants a White Out, they should give everyone through the doors an away jersey for free.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Where you sitting? I'll call your bluff and say you'll be wearing white. :laugh:
:nod: Ass. I was actually considering buying a Joki or Bogo white jersey last night, didn't bite yet though. Funny though the Jokinen jerseys they had available didn't have the A on it which is weird.

My problem is I don't like being told what to do. Leave it up to me to make up my own mind, though I still love my first edition Winnipeg Jets jersey that was part of the first order before the first season after 15 years. It has much more sentimental value than another $300 jersey.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Seems to me there's no reason or need to worry about whether or not you or anyone else "understand" - if the team wants a White Out, they should give everyone through the doors an away jersey for free.

There will be no free anything handed out IMO, because it's not the team that wants the Whiteout, it's the fans. They will decide if there is a Whiteout or not.

JetsAccess*

WRONG AGAIN!

get your facts right people. The Coyotes playoff tickets were averaged higher than Winnipeg Jets tickest and sold out within 2 days.

Also the Phoenix Coyotes whiteout was known to be the loudest building in the NHL. And i've been to Jets/Coyotes whiteouts and the whiteout was magical in the desert. The whole spirit got those fans crazy just like winnipegers did and got them to do some things similar like wearing mascots, tuxedos,etc

Never diss the coyotes whiteout cause it was and has been amazing each time.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'll be able to die a happy man when we reach the day that we can all stop comparing ourselves to the Coyotes. I, for one, couldn't care less about their team or their whiteout.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Whiteout Sucks

The whiteout should be shelved because:

1 - It was a copycat idea.

2 - It was a team manufactured phony plan, not a fan thing.

3 - It never worked. (Remember always being up 3-1?)

4 - It was doomed to failure from the start. The Jets originally called it "The Charge of the White Brigade", after Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade". It did not take long for writers to determine that "The Charge of the Light Brigade" was a military defeat in the Crimean War, caused by faulty leadership. Hence, the whiteout was a prescription for defeat from Day One.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
This is why the whiteout is a bad idea. All we needed to do was mention it and the playoff jinx is already out in full force. :laugh:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
The whiteout should be shelved because:

1 - It was a copycat idea.

2 - It was a team manufactured phony plan, not a fan thing.

3 - It never worked. (Remember always being up 3-1?)

4 - It was doomed to failure from the start. The Jets originally called it "The Charge of the White Brigade", after Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade". It did not take long for writers to determine that "The Charge of the Light Brigade" was a military defeat in the Crimean War, caused by faulty leadership. Hence, the whiteout was a prescription for defeat from Day One.

"1 - It was a copycat idea." Not so much a copycat as it was a reaction to the "Sea of Red" in Calgary

"2 - It was a team manufactured phony plan, not a fan thing." Being as I was a part of the original, I can assure you it was entirely fan driven and organic. The team itself didn't get on board for several games, and even then, the fans basically ignored the Jets attempts to formalize it.

"4 - It was doomed to failure from the start." Fail at what? Fail to bring more fans to the games? Fail at rallying support for the team amongst the grassroots? Fail at beginning our own traditions, rather than jumping on the Leafs or Habs bandwagons? Fail at garnering the Jets recognition at the national and international level?

The only area where the White-out failed was helping to push the Jets into the next round.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
WRONG AGAIN!

get your facts right people. The Coyotes playoff tickets were averaged higher than Winnipeg Jets tickest and sold out within 2 days.
Sure... to Detroit fans - was easy enough to see who the crowd was cheering for when the Wings scored. A split house, maybe 60/40 in favor of the visiting team.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
"1 - It was a copycat idea." Not so much a copycat as it was a reaction to the "Sea of Red" in Calgary

"2 - It was a team manufactured phony plan, not a fan thing." Being as I was a part of the original, I can assure you it was entirely fan driven and organic. The team itself didn't get on board for several games, and even then, the fans basically ignored the Jets attempts to formalize it.

"4 - It was doomed to failure from the start." Fail at what? Fail to bring more fans to the games? Fail at rallying support for the team amongst the grassroots? Fail at beginning our own traditions, rather than jumping on the Leafs or Habs bandwagons? Fail at garnering the Jets recognition at the national and international level?

The only area where the White-out failed was helping to push the Jets into the next round.

You proved my point on 1 and 4 and never argued 3. On point 2 you were wrong. It was a Jet promotion for the start. The lady behind it used to date Lyle Moffat. I forgot her name. Anyhow, it was phony from Day One.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
You proved my point on 1 and 4 and never argued 3. On point 2 you were wrong. It was a Jet promotion for the start. The lady behind it used to date Lyle Moffat. I forgot her name. Anyhow, it was phony from Day One.

Well, I guess you must feel pretty good that I proved your points! :)

I take it your claim that it was a failure was based on the Jets never going beyond the first round. Question for you. If you're saying that the White-Out was a failure because the of the Jets never advancing in the play-offs, does that mean that any team that wins, wins because the fans of that team are successful in their cheering? So 50% of fans are losers and failures?

Also, I take it then from your comments about Lyle Moffatt's girlfriend, that you were there and part of it? I was. The White-Out started in the southend seats - I was there; I was there for the very first NHL play-off series against the Blues, I was there for the '84 series against both Calgary, where the seeds were first planted for the White-Out, and Edmonton, and I was there in '87 against Edmonton when the White-Out bloomed into what we remember today.

I was part of the southend fans that began it - you can see me screaming and gesturing behind Don Cherry and Ron McLean during the pre-game in the '84 series. By the third home game, you can clearly see most of the southend wearing white and taunting Reggie Lemelin for the entire game. You can claim all you want that the team was behind it from the beginning, but, I was there. I still have the ticket stub somewhere in my memorabilia. In fact, you can argue until you're blue in the face, but I was there. Unless you have concrete evidence that the White-Out was planned in the Jets executive offices prior to April 1984, your claim is baseless. Again, I'll remind you, I was there. For every single game. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it's farcical to suggest that the Jets executive suite had the collective brains to germinate something like the White-Out. Come on, Hockey 8 Ventures? That organization rivals the fictional Cleveland Indians of "Major League" for futility.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Every playoffs the pens do the whiteout and their home jersey is black and gold. Why can't we?? I mean we started it all! :)

Yeah all this "it has to match the jersey colour" nonsense is just way to Martha Stewart for me, it does my head in.

How about you dress in blue to match the home jerseys, and bake me some nice fluffy cinnamon buns while you're at it (and don't forget the chicory).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad