Whiteout origins

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
I just saw the whole Whiteout thread go to ruins and I don't mean to bring up this conversation again....however I saw a lot of people say that we can't have a whiteout anymore because the home/away jerseys are now switched.

But let's go back to where the whiteout came from to begin with.

During the 1987 playoffs, the Flames were doing what they called 'the sea of red' - fans filled the seats wearing red. In response, Jet fans decided to wear white - which I think was more in reference to what the team wore at home.

But the home town Flames ALSO wore white - Red is what they wore at away games.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not an issue if the current Jets wear blue at home now. We can still wear white as fans.

SO BRING IT TNSE!

WHITEOUT RETURNS! EST 1987. ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I just saw the whole Whiteout thread go to ruins and I don't mean to bring up this conversation again....however I saw a lot of people say that we can't have a whiteout anymore because the home/away jerseys are now switched.

But let's go back to where the whiteout came from to begin with.

During the 1987 playoffs, the Flames were doing what they called 'the sea of red' - fans filled the seats wearing red. In response, Jet fans decided to wear white - which I think was more in reference to what the team wore at home.

But the home town Flames ALSO wore white - Red is what they wore at away games.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not an issue if the current Jets wear blue at home now. We can still wear white as fans.

SO BRING IT TNSE!

WHITEOUT RETURNS! EST 1987. ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS.

TNSE couldn't stop the whiteout even if they wanted to.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We aren't white at home. The opposition is. Doesn't make sense. How about:

Winnipeg Jets Fans: We just blue ourselves!

White Out 403*

Jets should wear white in playoffs. The whiteout is happening again.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Ok. So people still don't get it.

Lets go back.

I am saying that it doesn't matter if the team is wearing blue at home - we can still do a whiteout.

Why is that so hard?

The Flamea circa 1987 wore white jerseys at home. Didn't stop fans from wearing red.

Also, and I hate to bring this up, the Yotes did the whiteout while still wearing their dark colors at home.

What is the problem here Jets fans?

bazaaa*

Truth North will screw it up.
And Buff should be forward and Kane defense.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg

People seem to prefer their $300 (I don't know the price at all) jerseys to fan unity and they also have a problem with the home/whiteout clash. And those of us who just really want to see the whiteout make an explosive return can't understand why.

and then everyone gets mad and we lock the thread :sarcasm:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Those who oppose the whiteout just seem to be menstruating about something they didn't get to be a part of. It was all about a wall of white noise, the jersey colour was secondary.

My guess is it'll be stuck somewhere in between the white noise and blue blahness, after all we sure do like to make it all about ourselves nowadays don't we.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
what is up with these people saying it doesnt make sense cause we arent wearing white?

who cares? its not like the fans are on the ice folks, we are in the stands

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Lets go back.

I am saying that it doesn't matter if the team is wearing blue at home - we can still do a whiteout.

Why is that so hard?

The Flamea circa 1987 wore white jerseys at home. Didn't stop fans from wearing red.

Also, and I hate to bring this up, the Yotes did the whiteout while still wearing their dark colors at home.

I get it just fine. The whiteout is something done by another franchise. Like it or not that is one thing the Coyotes kept.

I'm all for tradition (for the record I was maybe the biggest original Jets fan in Winnipeg). The whiteout just doesn't make sense for Winnipeg.

I'm sure there will be a very vocal contingent trying to get it started when we make the playoffs, and who knows, maybe it will work. I'd like to see us do something different.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Those who oppose the whiteout just seem to be menstruating about something they didn't get to be a part of. It was all about a wall of white noise, the jersey colour was secondary.

My guess is it'll be stuck somewhere in between the white noise and blue blahness, after all we sure do like to make it all about ourselves nowadays don't we.

Agree with the bolded. I get the sense that those who say a)it's not ours anymore, it's their's (Phoenix) and/or b) we wear blue at home so it doesn't make sense to wear white are a little insecure and jealous because, in all likelihood, they were too young (or not even born) to participate in the whiteout 25 years. They can't identify with it since they missed out so they want to start their own traditions.

This won't happen though. The whiteout originated in response to Calgary's Sea of Red in 1987 - I even remember that parody song on the radio at the time, Everybody Wear White Tonight. When it began it was associated with the Jets, but now I think it transcends that.

Who else remembers the 1998-99 World Junior Hockey Championships in Winnipeg? I do. I was there for every Canadian game, save one due to work commitments. Guess what the vast majority of people in the crowd were wearing? That's right, they wore white! And this depsite the fact the Team Canada's jerseys were primarily red.

Like countless other Winnipeg staples such as the Golden Boy, socials and the Bridge Drive-In, the whiteout is engrained in our culture-it's a part of what makes Winnipeg unique in the eyes of the world. Changing colors for rather inconsequential reasons as the home team wearing blue and another team already doing it would be ignoring our history and our culture. Rather sad and short-sighted.

No, I believe whether this team makes this playoffs this year or next season or the season after that, you will see the vast majority of people in the crowd wearing white loudly and proudly. The few who choose to wear blue out of some misguided sense of starting fresh and creating new traditions will be cajoled and peer-pressured into making the switch to white.

And when we do make the playoffs, I hope the whiteout is organic. None of this white T-shirt on the back of every seat crap. Bring your white sweaters, coveralls, wigs, long underwear, suits, facepaint - let's make this organic. TN can supply some white pom-poms like the previous ownership did back in the day. Leave the rest to us!

Should we be ever so fortunate to experience the playoffs this year, I can't wait to see the first whiteout at the phone booth. And for those of you who have yet to experience it..trust me, it is amazing!:handclap::yo:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I get it just fine. The whiteout is something done by another franchise. Like it or not that is one thing the Coyotes kept.

I'm all for tradition (for the record I was maybe the biggest original Jets fan in Winnipeg). The whiteout just doesn't make sense for Winnipeg.

I'm sure there will be a very vocal contingent trying to get it started when we make the playoffs, and who knows, maybe it will work. I'd like to see us do something different.

The whiteout is part of Winnipeg's culture and history. One does not simply erase that.

The teams who choose to copy us, like Pittsburgh and Phoenix, cannot compare it's not organic, they simply leave T-shirts on the backs of chairs.

The people who want the whiteout are more than a vocal contingent-they are the vast majority. Those who have doubts will learn to love it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
When we make the playoffs a whiteout will happen. First game it will probably be only half the arena but by the 4th it will be all.

Love my blue jersey but it is dull and they just blend in to the background. White stands out like no ones business.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
Are the people who are opposed to a whiteout the same people who didn't want this team to be named the Jets? Because they wanted a new start? Guess who won that battle? It's going to be the same re: the Whiteout. Don't worry. With social media now, the whiteout won't just take place at the MTS Center during home playoff games. It's going to be city-wide.

If the Jets can make the playoffs, I dare you to wear your blue home jersey to a playoff game. I DARE YOU. You will be out in the concourse buying a white jersey before the 1st period even starts, or at the very least, a white T-shirt.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If we make the playoffs, we are going white. All in. For no other reason than to show those few fans in the sand how it's really done. And none of this having the team supply the shirts crap. We will bring our own clothing and our own noise.

The thing to remember is that TNSE has the rights to the "White Out". I don't think they would have done that if their intent was to put it on the shelf and never use it.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
cbcwpg;62162475[B said:
]If we make the playoffs[/B], we are going white. All in. For no other reason than to show those few fans in the sand how it's really done. And none of this having the team supply the shirts crap. We will bring our own clothing and our own noise.

The thing to remember is that TNSE has the rights to the "White Out". I don't think they would have done that if their intent was to put it on the shelf and never use it.

This is the key. We are once again putting the cart before the horse.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
People seem to think if the whiteout happens (and really, theres no "if" about it) its going to confuse the players on the ice. Poor Hainsy will be out there in the pre-game skate looking at th ecrowd going "hey, everyones in white! Cool! But wait...we're in blue! WTH?? The crowd hates us!!"

lol. The home/away color thing has NOTHING to do with the whiteout...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad