White Sox Minor League Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Why do the Southsiders have 4 of their top minor league affiliates in the South? 3 of the top 4 are in North Carolina (Charlotte, Winston-Salem, & Kannapolis) and their AA Affiliate is in Birmingham, AL. I don't get the White Sox.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why do the Southsiders have 4 of their top minor league affiliates in the South? 3 of the top 4 are in North Carolina (Charlotte, Winston-Salem, & Kannapolis) and their AA Affiliate is in Birmingham, AL. I don't get the White Sox.

The minors are geographically based, so having a team have a ton of close-by teams isn't something that should be expected. There's a surplus of minor league teams in the southeast because of the smaller sizes and history of the sport in the region, meaning just about every team is going to have a team or two in the region.

The White Sox don't own any of their minor league affiliates, FWIW, and having a minor league team close to the Major League team doesn't matter for anything other than AAA anyway. Most teams don't have their top affiliate that close by, anyway.

Checking my favorite team it was as recently as 1998 that the Pirates had their top 4 affiliates within a couple hundred miles of each other in the southeast (Nashville, Carolina, Lynchburg, & Augusta).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad