White Sox hire Tony La Russa as their next manager

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I fear this will be Paul Richards 2.0

We shall see

I am curious who he brings in as pitching coach because Sox have several young arms coming up and already on roster that are key to contending future

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I mean, Jack McKeon was hired by the Marlins at 72 and then stayed on until he was 74, then came back when he was 81 for a portion of the season.

Man, La Russa must be SUPER bored in retirement.
true, but mckeon had last managed just three years prior to taking the marlins job in 03. la russa has been out of the dugout for a decade. bringing mckeon back in 2011 was surprising though (and cool as hell)

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
lmao wat

he's a good manager

the only critique is that he doesn't like analytics

This is where a slight flag comes on the play. HE does use a form of analytics just not the type that people like Billy Beane uses, He uses an older style that he used with the A's and Cardinals. He just does not write books about what numbers he uses and factors in the human aspect of the game--something those who live in and die by Beane's analytics want out of the game

Reactions: John Price

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I fear this will be Paul Richards 2.0

We shall see

I am curious who he brings in as pitching coach because Sox have several young arms coming up and already on roster that are key to contending future

Hmm who is the best pitching coach available now? The window for the White Sox to contend is now so maximize it to the fullest.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Hmm who is the best pitching coach available now? The window for the White Sox to contend is now so maximize it to the fullest.
he should get the whole gang back together (dave duncan and dave mckay)

although i highly doubt duncan is willing to coach again at his age and health. which is another reason i'm surprised la russa is managing again. you'd think given his age and health issues that he wouldn't return to the dugout during a pandemic

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Here's the email the Sox sent out announcing the hiring. They put AJ Hinch's signature.

5cdzwq8jf3w51.jpg

Reactions: Del Preston

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
One thing that cant be denied is that TLR is upgrade over Ricky Renteria who as shown vs A's is absolute disaster of manager

So on that aspect alone the team is better today then it was to end season

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Damn, this really happened?

Did Jeff Torborg turn them down?

No one liked Jeff

There was reason Sox encouraged him to go to New York despite being under contract with Sox and a year after winning manager of year (In 2nd seasons as Sox manager) with 94 wins

Mets should have seen that as red flag

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
When he was with AZ, La Russa hired a veterinarian who had no experience in baseball as his Director of Analytics and Research, because he was Tony's friend. AZ had to get rid of the animal doctor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->