White Sox hire Tony La Russa as their next manager

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Be careful what you wish for BWC

You wanted Renteria gone but at what cost?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
can't recall a more surprising hire than this one. who would've guessed la russa would manage again?

curious to see the length of his contract as well

Reactions: grentthealien

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm so upset right now. All the goodwill the team has gotten back this past season has been thrown down the toilet.

f*** Reinsdorf, I'm not giving him a dime next season.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is a crazy stat that is linked to Tony. HE of course is chasing Connie Mack for most wins as a manager. Tony course managed the Oakland A's. Before they were in Oakland--they were in Philly, where Mack was the manager for 50 years and Owner for a long time as well. Mack managed a team for 50 years

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
here is a crazy stat that is linked to Tony. HE of course is chasing Connie Mack for most wins as a manager. Tony course managed the Oakland A's. Before they were in Oakland--they were in Philly, where Mack was the manager for 50 years and Owner for a long time as well. Mack managed a team for 50 years
he'll pass john mcgraw for 2nd in all time wins in '21 but he's not gonna be getting anywhere close to mack's record unless he manages another 20 years

Sep 19, 2008
I'm so upset right now. All the goodwill the team has gotten back this past season has been thrown down the toilet.

f*** Reinsdorf, I'm not giving him a dime next season.
lmao wat

he's a good manager

the only critique is that he doesn't like analytics

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am not happy with hire

If there are signs its not working out the Sox better be prepared to give him hook. We cant waste the potential contending window by keeping him around 3-4 years hoping it works out

All this because Jerry made mistake 30+ years ago and has regretted it ever since

Be careful what you wish for BWC

You wanted Renteria gone but at what cost?

TLR even if in a catatonic state would still be upgrade over Renteria

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hate to get political, but I've heard the phrase "Old White Guy" tossed around a lot in the last few years and why does it feel like all the sports have this "old white guy" club. We need to get younger, not older.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
can't recall a more surprising hire than this one. who would've guessed la russa would manage again?

curious to see the length of his contract as well

I mean, Jack McKeon was hired by the Marlins at 72 and then stayed on until he was 74, then came back when he was 81 for a portion of the season.

Man, La Russa must be SUPER bored in retirement.

Sep 19, 2008
HAHAHA, what?
  • He's a known racist
  • He's a known drunk
  • He can't relate to young players
  • Free agents won't want to play for him (Stroman liked a tweet which alluded to he would not play for him)
HE was the last successful manager of St Louis.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I hate to get political, but I've heard the phrase "Old White Guy" tossed around a lot in the last few years and why does it feel like all the sports have this "old white guy" club. We need to get younger, not older.

I’m keeping track of all the managers we still have right now that were already managers when I was still in high school (I’m class of 2005). We still have Lloyd McClendon, Terry Francona, Bob Melvin, Dusty Baker, Joe Maddon, and now Tony LaRussa again. Then I look at the rest of them and some of them were even all stars when I was still in my teens like Aaron Boone. Damn I’m getting old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->