Proposal: Which young goalie would you take?

green lantern

Jun 4, 2012
sector 2814
Nothing is confirmed but sources that I'm reading indicate that Vegas is looking to acquire a young goalie prospect from other teams to build around. Of the list of ones rumoured, who would be your top choice to build the franchises goaltending around?

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Grubauer should be up there...

I suspect it'll be Grubauer.

But it's a hard call due to the contract side of things as well; I'm not a fan of tying up big money in a goaltender. You have no chance without one, but you can win without the big money type dude in pipes.

Gonna be interesting to see which way George goes.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
korpisalo over forsberg easily. also, linus ullmark is a good target since he can be sent to the AHL without waivers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In all honesty I look what teams have to offer and if they have one of the top 9 forwards of top 5 defensemen available, I take those players instead of a goalie from that team no matter how good the goalie is

No reason to trade for a goalie and give up assets.

That's why I would use the UFA market

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
With the Fleury news we can forget about Grubauer and Raanta as they can clearly pretend to a starter job.

If Fleury rumors are true then yes, clearly the backup will be younger and unproven with a little upside, meaning cost controlled for a couple years at least. Someone who might have a shot down the road at taking on the duties.

This all reaaaally makes me wonder what Grubauer's camp is looking for come FA. Because I am certain George would want him on this team but again breaking the bank for a goalie is not desirable.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If Fleury rumors are true then yes, clearly the backup will be younger and unproven with a little upside, meaning cost controlled for a couple years at least. Someone who might have a shot down the road at taking on the duties.

This all reaaaally makes me wonder what Grubauer's camp is looking for come FA. Because I am certain George would want him on this team but again breaking the bank for a goalie is not desirable.

Grubauer will aim for short contract that will give him the chance to show his stuff as a starter and get a bigger deal. He honestly doesn't have any leverage for a big contract of any kind right now. You're not drafting a Murray who is RFA and arb. eligible. You're drafting a back-up who just wants a chance to prove himself and is aiming for a Scott Darling type contract after he signs this one.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
With the Fleury news we can forget about Grubauer and Raanta as they can clearly pretend to a starter job.

Fleury rumours are you kidding me?

Why is McPhee going to take Fleury in the expansion draft? Maybe if Rutherford offers a major incentive package for them to do it.

Have you looked at Fleury's cap hit? Have you looked at the rest of the Pens' cap?

Rutherford is sacrificing goats on the altar hoping to gain the Hockey Gods' favour to make McPhee take Fleury without Pens giving up a big piece.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Fleury rumours are you kidding me?

Why is McPhee going to take Fleury in the expansion draft? Maybe if Rutherford offers a major incentive package for them to do it.

Have you looked at Fleury's cap hit? Have you looked at the rest of the Pens' cap?

Rutherford is sacrificing goats on the altar hoping to gain the Hockey Gods' favour to make McPhee take Fleury without Pens giving up a big piece.

Uh why would Vegas take a proven starter, with 3 cup rings, former first over all, charismatic and good with the press? hmmm.. Maybe to be their franchise player for the first few years? 5.75 Mil is not a problem for 2 years. It's a no brainer move for a team wanting to compete as soon as possible.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Uh why would Vegas take a proven starter, with 3 cup rings, former first over all, charismatic and good with the press? hmmm.. Maybe to be their franchise player for the first few years? 5.75 Mil is not a problem for 2 years. It's a no brainer move for a team wanting to compete as soon as possible.
Word.

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
I would select one that is not on the list in Calvin Pickard. I think that I might select 2 and take another on that list as well, but with MAF now potentially in the mix the Knights might be well off to select him and bring some vet leadership and then a younger goalie to back him up for a year or 2 before hopefully being ready to take over full-time.

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA

As long as they don't see Matta available and decide he's a better option long term for them on the blue line I am sure that they will take him. For all those reasons above.. I also think they will take at least one younger goalie potentially 2 I think that they have to select 3 total goalies as part of the rules of how it all works.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Grubauer will aim for short contract that will give him the chance to show his stuff as a starter and get a bigger deal. He honestly doesn't have any leverage for a big contract of any kind right now. You're not drafting a Murray who is RFA and arb. eligible. You're drafting a back-up who just wants a chance to prove himself and is aiming for a Scott Darling type contract after he signs this one.

I never profess to know what a player or his camp is thinking. Some of these guys get some really dumb ideas in their heads, and it wouldn't be the first time a guy is hell-bent on hitting the market and getting top dollar, whatever that will be. And that alone might be enough to give McPhee pause on a guy I am sure he loves.

So at this point I still think Grubauer is the fit for Vegas. But who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Uh why would Vegas take a proven starter, with 3 cup rings, former first over all, charismatic and good with the press? hmmm. 5.75 Mil is not a problem for 2 years. It's a no brainer move for a team wanting to compete as soon as possible.

Was he really #59 in EVsave% and is making 5.75M lol
5.75M is a big problem with the draft cap we have. To compensate his cap hit we need to draft 2 other players at league minimum, obviously players who are not that good. So we waste 10% of the draft to get ****ing Fleury. My God
no brainer hahaha ... why should we do favors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad