Which young center would you take?

Which young center would you take?

• Total voters

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Shouldn't you then apply the same logic to Barkov?

Since Barkov joined the Panthers in 13/14, the Panthers have made the playoffs in only 1 season and their average points across those seasons is 87. Since Matthews joined Toronto, they have made the playoffs every single season and their average points across those seasons is 100. :dunno:
Are you serious? Toronto and Panthers arent quite on the same level, talentwise I mean.. Other team has Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Tavares

Other has Huberdau, Trocheck and Dadonov

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Are you serious? Toronto and Panthers arent quite on the same level, talentwise I mean.. Other team has Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Tavares

Other has Huberdau, Trocheck and Dadonov

I wish you guys would state these "rules" upfront.

So when the Leafs do well, Matthews doesn't get credit, because of the talent around him. But..when the Leafs do poorly (even though Matthews is on pace for 50G and 96P), he's not "helping his team to win".

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I wish you guys would state these "rules" upfront.

So when the Leafs do well, Matthews doesn't get credit, because of the talent around him. But..when the Leafs do poorly (even though Matthews is on pace for 50G and 96P), he's not "helping his team to win".
Wtf?? You mentioned Toronto going to playoffs, and when I mention that talentpool on those teams arent similar.. You start mumbling about moving goalposts.. Put Matthews in that Panthers team and they wont make to the playoffs even with Matthews

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wtf?? You mentioned Toronto going to playoffs, and when I mention that talentpool on those teams arent similar.. You start mumbling about moving goalposts.. Put Matthews in that Panthers team and they wont make to the playoffs even with Matthews

You are confused because you didn't follow the thread to understand why that comment was made. Let me explain:

Post 1 by someone: "Matthews here. He gets criminally underrated on HF boards because he plays in Toronto."
Post 2 by MrThomas: "I would say overrated, Also he is not helping Toronto." (which is kind of dumb to say a guy on pace for 50G, 96P "isn't helping Toronto".
Post 3 by Me: "Shouldn't you then apply the same logic to Barkov? Since Barkov joined the Panthers in 13/14, the Panthers have made the playoffs in only 1 season and their average points across those seasons is 87. Since Matthews joined Toronto, they have made the playoffs every single season and their average points across those seasons is 100. "

My point is that it's a team game so laying the current Leaf's problems at the feet of Matthews is ridiculous, thus my somewhat sarcastic post turning the tables and applying MrThomas's flawed logic to Barkov.

Post 4: Your post talking about the difference between Toronto and Florida.

So my response was all going back to the post about "Matthews not helping Toronto". You wandered into that thread and thus I quoted you because of it.

1 player can't make or break a flawed team, particularly one that gave up on a coach. McDavid and Draisaitl couldn't do it last year, doesn't mean they aren't great players. Barkov couldn't do it, doesn't mean he isn't a great player. Matthews is a great player having a great season so to say he "isn't helping the Leafs" is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: GFY and NotLeddy

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
You are confused because you didn't follow the thread to understand why that comment was made. Let me explain:

Post 1 by someone: "Matthews here. He gets criminally underrated on HF boards because he plays in Toronto."
Post 2 by MrThomas: "I would say overrated, Also he is not helping Toronto." (which is kind of dumb to say a guy on pace for 50G, 96P "isn't helping Toronto".
Post 3 by Me: "Shouldn't you then apply the same logic to Barkov? Since Barkov joined the Panthers in 13/14, the Panthers have made the playoffs in only 1 season and their average points across those seasons is 87. Since Matthews joined Toronto, they have made the playoffs every single season and their average points across those seasons is 100. "

My point is that it's a team game so laying the current Leaf's problems at the feet of Matthews is ridiculous, thus my somewhat sarcastic post turning the tables and applying MrThomas's flawed logic to Barkov.

Post 4: Your post talking about the difference between Toronto and Florida.

So my response was all going back to the post about "Matthews not helping Toronto". You wandered into that thread and thus I quoted you because of it.

1 player can't make or break a flawed team, particularly one that gave up on a coach. McDavid and Draisaitl couldn't do it last year, doesn't mean they aren't great players. Barkov couldn't do it, doesn't mean he isn't a great player. Matthews is a great player having a great season so to say he "isn't helping the Leafs" is silly.
You're right.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Shouldn't you then apply the same logic to Barkov?

Since Barkov joined the Panthers in 13/14, the Panthers have made the playoffs in only 1 season and their average points across those seasons is 87. Since Matthews joined Toronto, they have made the playoffs every single season and their average points across those seasons is 100. :dunno:

Matthews is also several years younger than guys like Barkov and Mackinnon and is blowing their numbers out of the water at the same age. In fact, pretty sure this current season is the same age Mack was when he broke out from a 60 point forward to 39 goal, 97 point center (when he got Rantanen).

Matthews is on pace for around 50 goals and 100 points. Not unreasonable to suggest they are in the same tier.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It was hard to not pick Barkov but I went with Pettersson.

Also surprised to see Barzal getting any love here with this group. As an Isles fan I'm well aware of his greatness but figured the lack of points playing in Barry's world would hurt him in polls like this.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
1. Barkov
2. Matthews
3. Pettersson
4. Eichel
5. Aho

That would be my top 5

It was tough to put Matthews ahead of Pettersson, likely a homer bias, but I feel like Matthews will show a new gear once given a real opportunity under Keefe.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Limited viewings but Eichel always played well when I saw him. Guess it's between him and Barkov followed by Matthews and Pettersson(in that order).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Barkov and Point are 24 so I am ruling them out as "young".

I'll take Aho because of his 200 foot game. Pettersson is a very close second.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Barkov and Point are 24 so I am ruling them out as "young".

I'll take Aho because of his 200 foot game. Pettersson is a very close second.
Pettersson is right now top 10 in scoring. He's also a career PPG player.He is over a year and 2 drafts younger than Aho.

Pettersson starts 43.5% in the OZ and 56.5 in the DZ. Aho starts 54.4% in the OZ and 45.6% in the DZ.

Aho CF% is 57.9% and CF% Rel is 4.1. Pettersson CF% is 58.7% and CF% Rel is 10.5. Same difference in Fenwick.

Not sure that 200 foot game is good enough to overcome the separation Pettersson has created in an earlier stage in his career compared to Aho.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFG and Plural

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
I picked Pettersson just because I like his game and he's younger than a lot of the other choices. It did upset my homer heart not to pick Larkin.

Barkov is great but he is the oldest guy on this list, drafted at least a year before everyone else, and has more seasons under his belt than anyone else. I think some of the younger guys in 6 years will surpass what he's done so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad