Which UFA would you like to see with the Habs next year?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think the problem is the $$$$$$$.

From the use of the word sisters, to claiming that they wouldn't fit because they lack toughness (in addition to not being young), sounds like the problem isn't just money for one poster.

How many PPG players have the Canadiens had in the last 20 years?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Overall both ways? Not even close, once in a while he'll have an incredible game, but that's it. He's not in the NHL anymore for a reason

Yeah, because he is in the KHL.

You're fooling yourself if you think he wouldn't have been signed at some point. He may have had to wait it out a bit like Raymond / Morrow etc. especially since how bad that Radulov situation was handled and blown out of proportion, but he would be playing in the NHL if he wanted too.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Did I just read that someone wouldn't sign the Sedins? Seriously, you wouldn't sign two PPG players?

Not really interested, given the gutting of the team that would be needed to make $14M in cap room available. Add the risk of 2 NMC's, the impact that age will be having on these players in the near future, etc. and I'd stay clear.

Vancouver got a great reward in having both these players playing together over the years, they can now assume the risk of having both players bundled in their decline.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Yeah, because he is in the KHL.

You're fooling yourself if you think he wouldn't have been signed at some point. He may have had to wait it out a bit like Raymond / Morrow etc. especially since how bad that Radulov situation was handled and blown out of proportion, but he would be playing in the NHL if he wanted too.

I don't buy that, but then again we'll never know who's right on that

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Did I just read that someone wouldn't sign the Sedins? Seriously, you wouldn't sign two PPG players?

Whose money do you give to them? You want to sacrifice the team for two players?

Not to mention they'd be 34 years old coming into the contracts.

We can play them with Briere next year after we'd lose several of our players that have any value to open up space for them and have a line of three of the most pathetic divers in the league at once. :laugh:

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
This makes the most sense. Sorry but habs just don't have the money to throw at Vanek. Instead habs are stuck with dead weight like Desharnais and Briere for 7.5mil. There's your Vanek money. :cry:

I think people forget there is a salary cap, and that there are some new contracts we have to give out and some are due raises.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Sign Girardi and Brian Boyle.

Let Markov walk.

Emelin - Subban

Gorges - Girardi

Tinordi - Diaz

or

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Fayne

Tinordi - Gorges

dreamingofdrouin*

Dan Girardi, Steve Ott sounds great as well, but somebody's gotta go if we're adding another centerman.

Watoosh21

Jul 15, 2013
Montreal
Preferably Matt Moulson, but i'd be very happy with Radim Vrbata. I'd also like to see Saku Koivu come back. As for the D, maybe sign a depth player as I feel our D will be fine once the injury bug is over.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'd resign Markov, Emelin and Diaz, then the TML's Mark Fraser to alleviate their sizable defence. Sign David Legwand from Nashville, Asham from NYR's, Trevor Lewis from LAK's and Ryan Reaves from St. Louis. The forwards are all playoff types and the only expensive player would be Legwand but he's worth the money.:handclap:Westgarth from Carolina instead of Asham and add Raymond from Toronto as well. Can't keep letting TML's sign up the speedster once more.

Last edited:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
If they cant land a legit top 6 forward winger with size and/or a legit top 3 defenseman, i hope they stand pat and dont make any deals longer than 1 year.

I rather the team be bad and take the high pick instead of bringing in filler like Briere or putting bucks into some like DD.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Lots of good players I'd like the Habs to look into. But realistically, there are not many spots open next year (at least with the Forwards). And Subban, Eller, Markov, and Emelin would need to be re-signed first to know what tier of players (cap space) can fit. Trevor Lewis could be an affordable option to add depth, plays both C & W, plus is decent in the dot and a RH shot to boot. He's better than his numbers show.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think people forget there is a salary cap, and that there are some new contracts we have to give out and some are due raises.

Lots of good players I'd like the Habs to look into. But realistically, there are not many spots open next year (at least with the Forwards). And Subban, Eller, Markov, and Emelin would need to be re-signed first to know what tier of players (cap space) can fit. Trevor Lewis could be an affordable option to add depth, plays both C & W, plus is decent in the dot and a RH shot to boot. He's better than his numbers show.

Yes and hell yes. Subban, Emelin, Markov UFAs and Eller a RFA after this year (assuming we don't sign Diaz), Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival all RFAs the year after that. Bergevin has some fancy juggling on his hands if he wants to nail down our key players and have a snowball's chance of adding a good UFA.

King Niinimaa*

Gaborik. I wonder what'll be the salary for Heatley. Guess there's a team that's willing to go long-term with 5,5+. Would love to have him with reasonable price.

Apr 28, 2010
Radim Vrbata, anyone? I'd rather get him than Setoguchi/Steen. I think it's also very realistic. He could replace our captain. And he's cheaper.

He'll be 33 next year. Maybe a 3 year contract until he's 35 isn't that bad.

Pacioretty Plekanec Vrbata (Patches, Pleks needs to be a duo next year+a Czech teammate)
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher (Are they really ready to be our 2nd line next year? Im still 50/50)
Bournival Briere Bourque (3B? Unfortunately, Briere will still be here :()
Prust/Parros DD Moen (Wish MB could find a way to get rid of DD but I don't see it happening)

As for defense, Markov/Emelin/Diaz will sign, Murray/Bouillon are gone.

Markov Subban
Gorges Emelin
Tinordi Diaz
Drewiske Beaulieu

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Worry about figuring out how you are going to afford everyone that has to be re-sign 1st.

Once that is figured out then we can talk UFAs.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Dan Girardi
Mark Stuart
Matt Niskanen
Steve Downie
Steve Ott
Alex Steen
Matt Moulson
Ryan Reaves
Brian Boyle

These are the more realistic signings I could seen Bergevin doing or trying. The bold I could really see us signing for some reason.

Pacioretty Plekanec Moulson
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher
Bourque Briere Downie
Moen Deshrnais Prust

Reaves / Bournival

Gorges Subban
Markov Emelin
Tinordi Stuart

Drewiske

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events