Which type of season would you rather have (Poll)

Would you rather have a great season, but out in 1st round, or so-so season, and out in 2nd round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Wow a lot of folks have indicated that they "prefer not to say" and selected option 3. This is most intriguing.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Having an "amazing" regular season, and then having expatiations of a deep playoff run only to burn out in the first round is a worse choice than just about any choice you could come up with.

You could have the season described in the second choice, and lose in the first round and it wouldn't be as bad, because you wouldn't be expecting to have a deep run.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Doesn't really matter. I would rather miss the Playoffs and get a better pick if the alternative is to do well in the regular season only to lose in the Playoffs.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Amazing regular season probably means you're more likely to be good the following year as well (Tampa 2018-19). Up and down/so-so means you're less likely to replicate reg season or play off success. A loss is a loss, Cup or bust, give me the team that'll probably be good again next year no matter how much it hurts to lose early.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Playoff success trumps everything.

Take a look at the past 2 seasons:

Canucks: 1 average season, 1 dismal season, won 2 series (not going to split hairs on the play in round, Canucks were on the right side of the handshake two times, that is fun as a fan regardless of whether it's playoff or play in or whatever you want to call it)

Leafs: 1 average season, 1 outstanding season, 0 playoff wins

I'm taking the Canucks past 2 seasons without hesitation, even with the nightmare this one was.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Playoff success trumps everything.

Take a look at the past 2 seasons:

Canucks: 1 average season, 1 dismal season, won 2 series (not going to split hairs on the play in round, Canucks were on the right side of the handshake two times, that is fun as a fan regardless of whether it's playoff or play in or whatever you want to call it)

Leafs: 1 average season, 1 outstanding season, 0 playoff wins

I'm taking the Canucks past 2 seasons without hesitation, even with the nightmare this one was.

Completely agree. Another good comparison is would you rather be the 2015 Flames or the 2019 Flames? I enjoyed the former more in the end

Reactions: BCNate

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Winning a playoff round is more fun than not winning a playoff round

Eh....

I don't know.

I'd rather get swept like TB in 2019 than lose the way Boston did to St louis.

It hurts way more to get so close and not complete your ultimate goal.

I'd be over the Chiefs loss to the Browns in the Divisional round by the next week

But I'll never get over losing a SB to an inferior opponent.

It hurts the soul.

UED

May 2, 2021
As a fan of a team with a number of young players that are good but not elite, if we have a season like Tampa's 2019 it probably means that all our young guys became elite which would be the most awesome thing. The cup could come eventually. Whereas if we barely squeak into the playoffs and pull off an upset it doesn't really mean anything other than the other team had a bad series.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Eh....

I don't know.

I'd rather get swept like TB in 2019 than lose the way Boston did to St louis.

It hurts way more to get so close and not complete your ultimate goal.

I'd be over the Chiefs loss to the Browns in the Divisional round by the next week

But I'll never get over losing a SB to an inferior opponent.

It hurts the soul.

I mean it hurts more, but the process of getting there is great memories. Like I'm a Flames fan and 2004 is by FAR my top year to be a Flames fan. Better to win something than win nothing

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Having an "amazing" regular season, and then having expatiations of a deep playoff run only to burn out in the first round is a worse choice than just about any choice you could come up with.

You could have the season described in the second choice, and lose in the first round and it wouldn't be as bad, because you wouldn't be expecting to have a deep run.
A very unique take! "Living in the present" is a type of mindset that some Eastern religions encourage I believe. Haven't heard it used in hockey before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad