Which type of season would you rather have (Poll)

Would you rather have a great season, but out in 1st round, or so-so season, and out in 2nd round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
"Great season" here meaning up until the playoffs (example might be the Lightning a couple years ago)
Keep in mind that if you have a great season up until the playoffs, it could mean you have a talented team, and there's always next year!

There's also a nice third choice if you prefer not to answer, but still want to participate in the fun

Last edited:

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Amazing season and 1st round exit would be the worst. Rather suck whole season.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Now much difference between first or second round exit. So I would take the first option for better regular season, which takes much longer than 1-2 playoff rounds and also comes with a better draft pick.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Option 1.

The goal is to win. If you have an amazing season, it means you're really good, and can do good again next year. Sometimes you choke in the playoffs though, or get surprised. A so-so season, but get lucky in round 1 just to lose in round 2? Odds are you'll go back to being so-so next season

Reactions: ricky0034

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Amazing seasons are what gets you paid. And like you said. There's always next year.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Would you rather be a fan of Toronto, or Habs/Jets?

For all the greatness of Toronto's season, they are now the butt in the country.

So option 2.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I don’t think I could handle another first round loss.
The first option is just what happened this year.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This is basically underperform vs overperform expectations. Easily overperform

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think a little context. If you're a young team who is coming through a rebuild then probably either will do. But if you're considered a contender, then neither is good. It's the cup or nothing.
Just two examples. It's a lot of other scenarios.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean is a 2nd round exit that much more to be proud of than a 1st round exit?

The ultimate goal is winning a cup, so if that’s off the table in this scenario, I’d rather have the excellent regular season

Agree. I'm surprised by the results. A dominant regular season is fun, even if you're not going anywhere good in the playoffs. I think it would take another round for me to prefer the playoffs.

I guess it depends a bit where your team is though. If you've been a great regular season team for awhile it's less interesting.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I think a little context. If you're a young team who is coming through a rebuild then probably either will do. But if you're considered a contender, then neither is good. It's the cup or nothing.
Just two examples. It's a lot of other scenarios.
Very interesting

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I view it in terms of injuries. If injuries cause and up-and-down season and catch up in to the team in the second round, then the season feels like a mild disappointment. However, if injuries result in a first round exit, then feels like a failure unless the team was a true underdog in the first place.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I view it in terms of injuries. If injuries cause and up-and-down season and catch up in to the team in the second round, then the season feels like a mild disappointment. However, if injuries result in a first round exit, then feels like a failure unless the team was a true underdog in the first place.
A very unique way to think about it -- you have a great imagination!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So Leafs vs Jets/Habs? I think I'll take the Leafs - it'd be fun to dominate all year

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Now much difference between first or second round exit. So I would take the first option for better regular season, which takes much longer than 1-2 playoff rounds and also comes with a better draft pick.

You get a better draft pick being worse in the regular season and then winning a round

Reactions: Ivo

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If this is a Habs thread it should be

Losing all year and hanging for dear life and making the playoffs because two teams sucked more and Carey Price going god mode for 15 games.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
If this is a Habs thread it should be

Losing all year and hanging for dear life and making the playoffs because two teams sucked more and Carey Price going god mode for 15 games.
It's just a general thread. I personally voted for the 1st choice

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->