Which two draft slots would you prefer?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Penguins bottom out in 2018, their second round pick could very well be 31st or pretty high in any case.

Leafsbeast*

Personally, I rank the three scenarios as: Pittsburgh makes playoffs this year >> Pittsburgh misses playoffs 2 years in a row > Pittsburgh misses this year and makes it next year

If Pittsburgh makes it this year they are most likely going to be eliminated early so I'd assume the pick is around 15-20. Wherever that pick is, the pick we are sending to them (their own 2nd) is going to be exactly 30 spots higher than that pick.

If they miss this year but make it next year, we get their pick (15-30) but have to give our own 2nd to them, which if we tank again next year could be between 30-45. The worst case scenario here would be Pittsburgh winning the cup (30th pick) and us coming dead last (31st pick) which would give us a 1 spot upgrade. Of course this is unlikely to happen but it would be the worst case.

The last scenario is if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs 2 years in a row. Then we get their 2017 2nd round pick and get to keep their 2016 2nd round pick. That would net us 2017 (30-60) and 2016 (30-45) which IMO is better than the 2nd scenario but worse than picking 15-20th.

Right, I am beginning to think we lost this deal here with all these scenarios not in our favour. These are all in Pens favour, plus retention etc. We have to wait to see of Kap and Harrington are NHL'ers. If they become NHL'ers then we win the trade, if not, then we go hosed.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's definitely best case Ontario if the Penguins make the playoffs this year. They're looking like a wildcard team and a pick could be in the mid-late teens. Even if we're looking to maximize #of picks again, that gives us lots of flexibility in moving down. Or, heaven forbid, it would cost us much less if we moved up 2 or 3 spots into the early teens.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Using last years draft as a blueprint i like the idea of getting the Penguins 1st whether it be this yesr or next year, but with us having to give up our own 2nd next year it would make more sense to hope for this years 1st.

I mention last years draft as the blueprint for 2 reasons.

1) As shown by the Leafs trading Nashvilles pick, the Leafs turned one asset into three. Which could become the case this year as well.

2) the Islanders/Oilers trade at the draft was for the 16th pick which was PIT's and it also falls into the area where most people expect the Pens pick to be this year (assuming they make the playoffs).

The NYI/EDM trade was Griffin Reinhart for 16th and a 2nd which wont do much for Toronto, but say the pick is #16, the Leafs can drop back to 21 if a team adds a 2nd, then drop back again to, say, 25th if a team adds a 3rd. So the Leafs stay inthe first round but also acquire a 2nd and a 3rd.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Is it possible to make a trade to remove a condition? Like we trade Pitts a 3rd/4th to secure their 1st rounder this year regardless of whether or not they make the playoffs.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Is it possible to make a trade to remove a condition? Like we trade Pitts a 3rd/4th to secure their 1st rounder this year regardless of whether or not they make the playoffs.

I'm not sure about removing a condition, but if not the only way would be to make a trade with the opposite condition. For example JVR for the Pens 1st with the condition that it has to be 14th or lower, otherwise we get their 2017 unprotected first + something else.

That being said I don't think Pittsburgh is looking to move more picks when they might be on the verge of a rebuild/retool unless they get a miracle on defense and Crosby bounces back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad