Which trio would you build a team around?

Which trio would you build a team around?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
All the young goalies are black magic.

I worry about how Wilson and Hyman age.

But when I look at RNH, I worry Graves isn't actually all that good.

I probably roll the dice on Tom Wilson aging well and getting better control over his emotions as he ages.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All the young goalies are black magic.

This is a lazy take and it’s not supported statistically either. The whole goalies are voodoo take is one of the funnier narratives. It’s really not true, unless you are talking about low level guys. Once players are established top end prospects or NHL’ers, you know what you are going to get. An 18 year old 6th round pick goalie may be unpredictable, but so is an 18 year old 6th round pick forward.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Option 3 is the worst by far. Worst forward, defenseman, and goalie. RNH is the most vanilla top 6 player in the league, Hyman and Wilson at least have stand out traits. Graves is solid but not on the level of Lindell/Pesce, and Samsonov isn’t on Shesterkin/Demko tier either

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a lazy take and it’s not supported statistically either. The whole goalies are voodoo take is one of the funnier narratives. It’s really not true, unless you are talking about low level guys. Once players are established top end prospects or NHL’ers, you know what you are going to get. An 18 year old 6th round pick goalie may be unpredictable, but so is an 18 year old 6th round pick forward.

Show your work. Young goalies are notorious for having uneven development curves. Case in point, two of these three goalies had markedly worse numbers this season than the one prior.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Show your work. Young goalies are notorious for having uneven development curves. Case in point, two of these three goalies had markedly worse numbers this season than the one prior.

You are going to have to be more specific. What does show your work mean?

And you claim young goalies are notorious for having uneven development curves. That’s very vague. It’s a nothing statement. Does it apply to these goalies and can you explain why if it does?

Reactions: Lays

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Close as hell between 1 and 2

Went with 2 because I was impressed by Demko

3 is a non starter

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Prob option 1. Pesce is arguably the best option for defenceman there, I have a soft spot for the lunchpail work that hyman delivers, and shesty *seems* like hes going to be very solid moving forward- barring a raycroft esqe complete collapse

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

What are we going to get with Carter Hart ?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not "building around" any of those trios. They're all complementary/supporting pieces, and a young goalie. That's not what you build a team around. It's the type of pieces you use to "build around" your actual core.

That said, if i'm taking one of the three as a supplementary package to an actual "core"...i'd take the Wilson/Lindell/Demko option. Option 1 is close enough i wouldn't be too bothered at all either, and i actually like Pesce a smidge more than Lindell. But love him or hate him, i do think Wilson has an "x factor" that can make him more of a "gamechanger" than Hyman. Demko has the edge among the goaltenders for me. And Lindell is just a quiet, rock solid partner for whoever your more dynamic "core" defenceman is - close enough to more or less wash out with Pesce.

Third option isn't even in the same ballpark.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
think Pesce is by far the best dman here and that's what decided it for me since most everything else is reasonably close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad