Which Top Young NHL Forwards Regress This Year?

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
MacKinnon and Rantanen.
Matthews' ppg might drop if he plays ~80 games.

Reactions: cgf

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Who goes down in point pace noticeably? For players drafted in 2013 and later.

Matthews
Laine
Barkov
Mackinnon
Eichel
Draisaitl
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Drouin
Monahan
Nylander
Marner
Larkin
Rantanen
Barzal
Boeser
M Tkachuk
Hischier
Barzal is the obvious answer.

Barzal
MacKinnon
Rantanen
Barkov

The only guys I expect to score less this year

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Who goes down in point pace noticeably? For players drafted in 2013 and later.

Matthews
Laine
Barkov
Mackinnon
Eichel
Draisaitl
Pastrnak
Ehlers
Drouin
Monahan
Nylander
Marner
Larkin
Rantanen
Barzal
Boeser
M Tkachuk
Hischier

What does that mean literally? Barkov goes from 78pt to 50pt player? Matthews from 63pt to what... 40pt player?

many of these are only just entering their prime, I don't see a single reason why would any of them regress noticeably.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Probably a supporting guy like Drai that regressed when taken off of McD's line, so maybe Rantanen as I think if Mac is even slightly worse than last year, Rants will feel it most.

The easy answers as always is to say Barzal and Mac, however I'm sorry, those players are just too f***ing dynamic to really "regress" unless we're talking about any backwards movement at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
MacKinnon is unlikely to play at 1.3 points per game pace.

I know it's "regressing" from a strict definition standpoint if his point total goes down even by 1 point, but is it *really* what most consider regressing if MacKinnon still puts up a 90 point season? I mean, if McDavid scored 105 points this year, would anyone really argue he regressed from last year just because he finished with 3 less points?

IMO, regression in hockey terms is if a player's level of play drops below what it was, and he sees significant drop in production because of it. But not if he plays at the exact same high level, but maybe sees a handful of points less. Example: Player dropping from 90+ points to around 65-70 points would be regression, but player dropping from 97 points to 91 points, IMO, isn't.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
AM is not going to regress.......zero chance of that barring injuries.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
opened this thread expecting to see Matthews listed first.

did not disappoint.

The first person listed as a possible regression was Ehlers. The OP simply listed pretty much every young player (minus McDavid), but not in order of who is likely to regress.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
read my post again.

opened this thread expecting to see Matthews listed first.

did not disappoint.

now look at the list.

see who is first.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I just knew he was going to be listed first.

You see, it isn't only Leafs fans that can't stop bringing him up.

I just like to point that out.

And you carrying on only furthers it.

So please, carry on.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
IMO, regression in hockey terms is if a player's level of play drops below what it was, and he sees significant drop in production because of it. But not if he plays at the exact same high level, but maybe sees a handful of points less. Example: Player dropping from 90+ points to around 65-70 points would be regression, but player dropping from 97 points to 91 points, IMO, isn't.

If Mackinnon scores below 90 points that would be a slight regression. Something like 6-7% dip in scoring compared to previous year. A serious one for a developing player would be a 15% regression.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Matthews looks to have gone to another level. Career year in the making.

i see the same, i don't know how people assume he regresses. same with mckinnon. He is just to dominant to suddenly regress.

When it comes to wings, i'm afraid that mantha might not be able to take that next step that would make him a dominant power forward.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Patrick and Provorov have been very disappointing so far.

And now Patrick is hurt again.

I had real high hopes for him breaking 60 points based on his dominant finish last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad