Which Top 10 Picks This Year Will Play In The NHL Right Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I think Ovechkin is the only lock right now; even Malkin could use another year of development.

I think it's all pretty much guess work right now. So I'll go with Mezaros.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Hockey Moose said:
Horton, Stall, Brown...all made their teams & played from 2003...

Which guys can/should/or could player right away, without stayin in juniors or in their own country?
As did MAF and Zherdev if you are talking about Top 10 picks....

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Ovechkin and Olezs are both ready. Olezs' stock has taken a bit of beating for reasons I do not completely understand or agree with, but he's a complete player who should have relatively little trouble converting to NHL. I really think he is about as safe a pick as it gets, he is good all-around, has wonderful hands and balance, and should be a zero-maintenance high production scorer for years to come.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Andrew Ladd has all the tools...size, skating, puck skill. On a team like Florida, Columbus or Phoeinix I could see him stepping in despite playing Jumior-A in '02-'03.

Olesz and Ovechkin also seem physically mature enough to handle the NHL.

Not Top 10's:
Possibilities due to being better developed than most prospects are... Tim Brent (re-entry), Martin Vagner (re-entry) and David Booth (opted out last year).

Wildcard pick is Kyle Chipchura. He could definitly use a few more years in Juniors but is the type of guy that could really impress in training camp. The #1 rated skated at mid season, he may very well be playing on the third or fourth line of an NHL team by next season.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ladislav Smid. He's the smartest defenseman in the draft and will be a top 4 defenseman, but his upside isn't as high as the others in the draft. He's comperable to how Steve Eminger made the Capitals and how Sheaone Morrison made the Bruins. He's the type of defenseman that is safe and positionally sound, therefore more ready than the rest.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
when we say 'step in right away' do you mean this coming october or should we factor in the fact that these guys will get a full year of development in juniors/college/europe during the lockout?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I tend to think Euro's are often more ready to step in as they often are playing against men. So in that vein I see Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Tukonen, Smid, and Meszaros as some of the potential guys to step in right away or early on.

JF Omalycat

CBJ Express
Jul 8, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone Columbus picks, (with the possible exception of Barker). I've heard Olesz is one of the more "NHL" ready players available in the top-ten, but I've never seen him play, myself.
With all the hype, it's hard to imagine Washington not putting Ovechkin on the ice, for marketing reasons if nothing else.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Not a top 10, but Sami Lepisto could step in right away.
No he can't. He is a skinny six footer who needs at least a season to bulk up. Of the Finns, Tukonen or Nokelainen could play in a limited role, but it would not be good for their development.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
A safe guess would be Ovechkin...but with the season in doubt, he could just end up playing the entire year in the RSL...I'm not to sure on how it all works out, if he signs does that mean he has to play the entire season in the RSL or can he jump ship if/when the NHL season starts back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad