Which teams would get the best ratings in SCF?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The players need to market themselves more - I feel like the GMs/Coach types are standing in the way as they always do. They will have the distribution now on ESPN/TNT in the states and ESPN is pretty big in some international countries as well. So it's really up to them.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
While we are on the topic of TV ratings, I have always wondered what would be the TV ratings in Canada if the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers met in the playoffs(I know the chances are very slim.)

What do you guys think?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
What is with this forum's obsession with ratings? Even the highest possible draw would be considered so low by an NBA or NFL executive it would give them nightmares.

game 7 of Bruins vs Canucks made 8.64 millions in Canada and 8.91 million (when including nbc sport online platform) in the US I think.

Combined it is not so out of place of some nba final rating (the 2020 bubble was 6 to 8.3 millions a game), regular one go for 13-20m after the Jordan 1998 retirement special numbers.

When you have a Canadian team vs a big American market, they can go high I imagine.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Boston Montreal hands down

2 huge original 6 markets with a historical rivalry, plus it’s Canada vs American which would draw more audience than having both team be from 1 country

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes they have a local following that smashes it in local ratings but it’s not a big market.
In 2007 we played the Rangers in the second round of the playoffs. There are two MSG feeds: The main one for NY Metro (Rangers) and MSG Western NY (Sabres). During the series the WNY feed wasn't just getting ridiculously higher ratings numbers there were more actual people watching it which is mindblowing considering the population difference.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
In 2007 we played the Rangers in the second round of the playoffs. There are two MSG feeds: The main one for NY Metro (Rangers) and MSG Western NY (Sabres). During the series the WNY feed wasn't just getting ridiculously higher ratings numbers there were more actual people watching it which is mindblowing considering the population difference.

is that due to the RJ factor for the choice between the two? or am i off on this

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Toronto vs Boston/Chicago.

Habs are dominant in Canada, but not on the level of the Leafs. Plus the Leafs have a huge following in the US, whereas the Habs don't.

Not sure you would ever get better ratings than that, but who knows.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
While we are on the topic of TV ratings, I have always wondered what would be the TV ratings in Canada if the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers met in the playoffs(I know the chances are very slim.)

What do you guys think?

Probably not that great to be honest. And I say that as an oilers fan.
Neither market is that large, nor do they have a country-wide following like Montreal or Toronto. At best, the oilers are the third most popular team in Canada; the flames even further down the list. Sure, there’d be some star power and a historic rivalry - but probably not enough to pull-in a large audience of “casual” fans or fans of other clubs.

Reactions: viper0220

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Probably not that great to be honest. And I say that as an oilers fan.
Neither market is that large, nor do they have a country-wide following like Montreal or Toronto. At best, the oilers are the third most popular team in Canada; the flames even further down the list. Sure, there’d be some star power and a historic rivalry - but probably not enough to pull-in a large audience of “casual” fans or fans of other clubs.

Plus the time zone.
Don't get me wrong some people will stay to watch the battle of AB, and people who want to see McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad