Which teams would get the best ratings in SCF?

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The ratings thread on the SCP-board got me wondering, which current teams you think would get the best ratings in the Stanley Cup Finals, US and Canada combined? I decided to post this on the main board since this isn't completely relevant to these playoffs.

I'd say in this season's format Bruins - Leafs. O6 rivals from both countries with star power on both sides. Legendary and recognizable teams.

Normal format I'd say Blackhawks - Bruins. Basically same answer as above but without the Canada factor.

I might be completely wrong with these but these were the first that came to mind.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The ratings thread on the SCP-board got me wondering, which current teams you think would get the best ratings in the Stanley Cup Finals, US and Canada combined? I decided to post this on the main board since this isn't completely relevant to these playoffs.

I'd say in this season's format Bruins - Leafs. O6 rivals from both countries with star power on both sides. Legendary and recognizable teams.

Normal format I'd say Blackhawks - Bruins. Basically same answer as above but without the Canada factor.

I might be completely wrong with these but these were the first that came to mind.

Those are good picks - Boston/NYR probably up there as well

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In Canada:

Oilers v Leafs assuming normal divisions in a normal year.

Normal format for American teams I agree with OP, Hawks v Bruins or Hawks v Rangers

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Chicago (big market and a lot of dispersal fans as well as an O6) vs. Toronto (most popular team by a landslide).

Just in USA, hard to top Chicago vs. Boston (2013) which is the highest rated Finals in the post-Lockout era (LA vs. New York the next year did decently but wasn't that close. Those are big markets but not very hockey rabid markets). Chicago and Boston are both good ratings draws. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals_television_ratingson

Given how ratings and tv rights work, it's a bit tough to figure out how it all goes down when you factor Canada in with the USA.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You would have to imagine any team that Buffalo plays, no?

I might be off but don’t they smash viewings despite their team not being in the playoffs?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You would have to imagine any team that Buffalo plays, no?

I might be off but don’t they smash viewings despite their team not being in the playoffs?
Yes they have a local following that smashes it in local ratings but it’s not a big market.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
for this years format

Boston/Toronto
Boston/Montreal
Washington/Toronto would potentially be a big draw for OV Vs. Matthews

no other teams would really draw high viewership, quite a few small market teams.
In a normal year for Canada you would likely only get high viewership if Toronto or Montreal were involved

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
NYR v. Chicago, easily (stateside). Two largest fanbases, and two largest markets (that regularly watch hockey, at least)

Of course, I’m of the belief that a matchup like Tampa v. Colorado could potentially draw huge ratings based on star power alone. Of course, this assumes the NHL actually markets their stars.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Any Finals containing Boston, New York, Chicago. Possibly even Philly.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
wasn't LA vs NYR a good ratings series?
It did well but it wasn't even close to Chicago vs. Boston a year earlier.

LA doesn't care enough about hockey. Rangers fanbase is big given NYC media market obviously but Boston is a bigger fanbase (has all of New England and more hockey rabid).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its easy. The best ratings for a SCF cant happen in the current format. Capitals v Penguins would kill it. But they best they can do is the 2nd round which is a true tragedy. Imagine Bird and Magic having never been able to play later than the 2nd round

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Blues vs Bruins in 2019 did well all things considered.
Team with the longest title drought in NHL history vs. O6 team.

Rematch of the 1970 SCF and don't forget the championship rivalry between these cities in the 4 major sports.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
(Conventional East vs. West format):

In the U.S., NYR vs. Chicago.

In Canada, Toronto vs. Edmonton (my guess would be normally Vancouver if just looking at franchises, but I'm factoring in McDavid).

In North America total, Toronto vs. Chicago.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The best-rated Finals games in the US from the NBC era were:

2019 Bruins/Blues Game 7 (4.9 rating)
2011 Bruins/Canucks Game 7 (4.8 rating)
2013 Blackhawks/Bruins Game 6 (4.7 rating)
2010 Blackhawks/Flyers Game 6 (4.7 rating)
2015 Blackhawks/Lightning Game 6 (4.4 rating)
2009 Red Wings/Penguins Game 7 (4.3 rating)

The four series there that featured the Bruins or Blackhawks and another US opponent were the most-viewed overall, with 2013 at the top. 2010 was the only series to break the 4.0 mark twice. 2015 surprisingly was the second highest-rated overall, I'm sure Chicago puled the big weight there and Tb provided a strong local assist. Neither of LA's Cup Finals featured a game that reached a 4.0 rating or higher, though LA/NYR was the fifth-highest rated series since 2005.

So, for the US, that's probably what you'd expect. Pick from a handful of classic big markets, hope one of them has the bandwagon already rolling strong from a previous run, and hope for a long series. I was impressed to see that Bruins/Canucks game 7 so high up there, but I think that was a product of Boston's draw and the overall wackiness of that series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->