Which teams will spend to the salary cap?

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
The thread about Buffalo having a self-imposed cap next year got me thinking about this. Which teams will/can spend to the max next season? I'd be interested to hear from other teams' fans if they'll be spending that much, or if not, an estimate of what the teams' self-imposed budget will be.

For the Devils, they spent up to (and over) the cap last year, and I assume they'll spend up to the salary cap again next season. I imagine Lou will try to have a little more wiggle room for mid-season moves, but I don't see the Devils being much underneath the cap.

What about the other teams?

Wetcoaster

The thread about Buffalo having a self-imposed cap next year got me thinking about this. Which teams will/can spend to the max next season? I'd be interested to hear from other teams' fans if they'll be spending that much, or if not, an estimate of what the teams' self-imposed budget will be.

For the Devils, they spent up to (and over) the cap last year, and I assume they'll spend up to the salary cap again next season. I imagine Lou will try to have a little more wiggle room for mid-season moves, but I don't see the Devils being much underneath the cap.

What about the other teams?
Vancouver, Detroit, Philly, TO, Rangers... the usual suspects. The Penguins might get near depending upon what they go with UFA's.

You can be pretty sure that Nashville will not and Edmonton like Buffalo seems to have put a self-imposed limit in place. Washington will well under.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't think that the Pens will get anywhere close to the salary cap this year. They're not going to sign any big names unless it's for a one or two year deal considering all of the important RFAs they have coming up over the next few years.

I think they'll increase next year once they re-sign Crosby and Fleury and probably be at or very close to the cap in two seasons, their first season in the new arena and the year that Malkin & Staal hit RFA status.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Lightning's Feaster was on XM Thursday and indicated he had $5m to spend to fill out his (NHL) roster.

I'm thinking the Sharks will be shooting for about $40-42m in salary (unless they're able to off load Nabokov's $6m).

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Vancouver, Detroit, Philly, TO, Rangers... the usual suspects. The Penguins might get near depending upon what they go with UFA's.

You can be pretty sure that Nashville will not and Edmonton like Buffalo seems to have put a self-imposed limit in place. Washington will well under.

You think that now that they've been sold the new owner won't spend up to the cap now with the team so close to a Cup? I'm not sure myself, been pondering this one over last couple days.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Edmonton has the self imposed cap but they are willing to go up to the cap should the right situation present itself i.e. we're contending for a playoff spot or if during this summer a player becomes available that's just too good to pass up. The thing in Edmonton is that the team is willing to spend money as long as it's spent wisely and not just for the sake of spending cash.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
You think that now that they've been sold the new owner won't spend up to the cap now with the team so close to a Cup? I'm not sure myself, been pondering this one over last couple days.

That depend on what he wants to do. If he wants to move the team then the smart bet is on gutting the team that way they stink and so you'll probably have less people showing up to watch them.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Lightning's Feaster was on XM Thursday and indicated he had $5m to spend to fill out his (NHL) roster.
Interesting he put it that way. With the #s some fans have worked out, that's the money available if we offload Denis. ;)

Anyway, it was recently in the paper that the Tampa payroll will be at least what it was last year, with room to add up to the cap at the end of the year if needed.

As for teams spending up to the cap, it'll be the "usual suspects" as someone else so aptly put it.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia

You can be pretty sure that Nashville will not and Edmonton like Buffalo seems to have put a self-imposed limit in place. Washington will well under.[/QUOTE]

I think that we will spend money, not all the way to the top of the cap but we will spend some money.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think that we will spend money, not all the way to the top of the cap but we will spend some money.
Yep, more than the past two years where they've been just over the cap floor. The Caps have a bunch of players in need of new contracts after next season, so they'll definitely leave space in their long-term payroll outlook to be able to afford of those raises. I would guess somewhere around $35-40M would be what they'll look to spend next year...still well under the cap but not as close to the salary floor as the past two years.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

What? Why would a "rebuilding" team spend to the cap? I thought they're trying to plug the teams with prospects and cheap, reliable veterans...?

Transported Upstater

Toronto basically does not have a self-imposed cap, so they'll basically spend to the limit or close to it every year.

To no one's great suprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->