Which teams will have trouble meeting $29 million cap floor?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chicago and Washington, maybe. I'm not sure exactly what their current payroll is, but they're 2 teams who have done nothing and already had a low payroll

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
None. They'll all get there, even if that means giving some 4th liner $2.5M this year to do it.

The Devils would be happy to help these teams out.
That's a distinct possibility for some team wanting to go really cheap this year, but I think only Mogilny could get moved. Still, that would be $3.5M of cap space.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Isn't the floor 28M?

A few of us that follow the numbers closely have done the math and Washington shouldn't have trouble reaching the minimum; along with the salaries, some of the players are on entry level deals (Ovechkin and we expect Green on the roster; Fleischmann?; even Backstrom if he comes over) and will earn some performance bonuses that will factor in the cap calculations.

Counting the 18 players signed (11 including Mike Green getting promoted from Hershey and Pothier's new deal) or qualified (7 from the end of season NHL roster) by the Capitals, the Caps are at approx. 24 million; that figure includes maxing out Ovechkin's performance bonuses, but does not take into account possible performance bonuses for other entry level players or signing bonuses, which also count towards the cap.

Perhaps a player or two that were qualified will not accept their offers, but most should sign; also, there is a good chance some RFAs will receive a raise/multi-year deal above their qualifying offers (e.g., Shaone Morrisonn; Matt Pettinger).

I think the Caps will take advantage of another team's cap or RFA problems to add a player, but only if the right opportunity presents itself and, in theory, will benefit the Caps (e.g., the Friesen situation last year). McPhee has stated that he is still looking to add a d-man this off-season, possibly via trade, and a top 6 center could be another possibility if the right player was available.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
None. They'll all get there, even if that means giving some 4th liner $2.5M this year to do it.

That's a distinct possibility for some team wanting to go really cheap this year, but I think only Mogilny could get moved. Still, that would be $3.5M of cap space.

Hey, better than the full cap hit.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I have wondered if the Pens will have problems
I thought about this ... and I think they're fine as is even if they don't make another move.

They signed Malkin, who has a two-way entry-level contract (all entry-level contracts are two-way) - but since he wasn't in the NHL last year, he doesn't count at the moment. Reportedly Malkin got the max contract for rookies. (I don't doubt this at all.) The 2004 draft class had a max salary of $984,200 and max bonuses of $2.9M per year; this is what Ovechkin's contract calls for, giving a cap number of $3,834,200.

Malkin will make the team, barring something incredible happening. Put his cap number with everyone else on the Pens, and they're over $28 million without a problem right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad