Which teams will be the next wave of contenders?

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
In the next 3-5 years, who would you expect to become the next Winnipeg Jets/Nashville Predators (ie. perennial contenders)?

My picks:

Vancouver - Generational player Elias Pettersson with a strong supporting cast of young players/prospects in Hughes, Boeser, Woo, DiPietro and Demko

Colorado - At that time, they'll have a seasoned veteran core of Ratanan, Mackinnon, Landeskog, Makar along with 2 possibly lottery picks from this year's draft.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Vancouver, Colorado, Buffalo, and Toronto come to mind. That's if they do everything right of course.

I believe the following teams are candidates to be basement dwellers within five years. Note: Some are already there.

Pittsburgh, Minnesota, LA, Chicago, Detroit, Blues, Seattle, Sharks, Ducks, Oilers, Rangers, and Isles.

There's probably more to both. But that's all I can think of for now.

Reactions: adsfan

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Or us.

Until you win it all, you're just like every other hopeful.

So maybe it should say like Pittsburgh/Washington.
Then the word would have been 'winners' not contenders. Contenders are teams that have a good shot at the cup, which the Jets do. And they will next year and for the next few years at the very least.

Reactions: Aggie204

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Impossible to predict. Love the OP trying to sneak in the Generational comment. Everyone is generational!

Canucks have some good pieces but in 5 years you'll see some current teams still trying to hold their spots. How can you predict drafting, trades, injuries etc?

A team I like the look of though is Philly.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Impossible to predict. Love the OP trying to sneak in the Generational comment. Everyone is generational!

Canucks have some good pieces but in 5 years you'll see some current teams still trying to hold their spots. How can you predict drafting, trades, injuries etc?

A team I like the look of though is Philly.

Yeah, I was going to add Philly too but decided to only pick 2 to mirror my Jets/Nashville comparison. :P

And man.. Pettersson is just.. wow.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My first thought was the Avs, not sure what they have in the goalie pipeline, but the rest seems decent and about to get better.

Leafs are young, so for sure them. Sabres would be my other pick.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Loseapeg? I think a team needs to actually have been a contender before being considered perennial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad