Which Teams & Players Pass/Fail Eye Test For You Despite Reputation

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Which teams and players that are considered good, fail the eye test for you and you don’t understand the appeal of when you see them play? And which that are considered bad, impress you when you see them play?

Fail

Teams:
Carolina Hurricanes every year people say this is the year they make the playoffs and how good their defense is, blah blah blah. They look absolutely god awful every time I’ve seen them play. They have no offense to speak of, and have so many defensive lapses and are the easiest team I’ve ever seen to score on. I don’t know if Rangers (who I’m a fan of) have just dominated them as of late but they have looked awful for years whenever I’ve seen them

Players:
Chris Tanev maybe he gets overrated because he’s on such a bad team but every time I watch him he seems like a bottom pairing defenseman on a decent team. He’s painfully average in every category and I don’t understand why he’s so highly regarded
JT Miller he puts up 2nd line winger numbers so many think he’s a decent player but whenever I’ve seen him he looks like one of the dumbest players in the league. He causes turnovers every shift, he takes bozo penalties, stops skating and stares off into space, and is all in all a horrible hockey player
John Tavares I read people considering him a top 10 center in the league, but whenever I see him play he looks like a slug.
Jacob Slavin seems invisible, but he’s talked about on here as if he’s a superstar. Does he have elite advanced stats or something?

I’ll add more and the ones that pass

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Chris Tanev was the best defender on a 100 point team, healthy Tanev is one of the best shot suppressing defenders in the NHL, from a stretch between 2014/2016 Tanev had the best CA/60 Rel of any defender in the league by a wide margin.

Tanev is a quietly effective player who has exceptional hockey IQ, IQ is something you can't quantify. People get lost in the noise, Tanev is not a high event player, he's a guy that quietly goes by shift by shift spiting up and chewing some of the hardest deployment in the league and year in and year out when healthy churns out fantastic results. The Canucks have been the worst team in the entire NHL the past 3 years but despite that have a positive GF% when Christopher Tanev is on the ice.

John Tavares is unquestionably a top 10 centre in the league..

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I agree completely on the Hurricanes (and, to a lesser extent, Slavin). I have no faith in them being a playoff team anytime soon. People forget how painfully mediocre the Nashville Predators used to be with a defense and coach far better than Carolina's. That 2013-14 team coached by Trotz had Ellis/Ekholm/Weber/Josi/Jones/Klein and couldn't crack the top half of their conference.

If your forwards are trash, it's pretty difficult to compete in the NHL. The Canes have some alright pieces but their center depth, coaching, and goaltending situation all leave them in the lower half of a pretty decent Metropolitan division. Outside of Teraveinen and Aho, they don't have really anyone who is a top 6 forward on a playoff team, and they were in the bottom third for goals scored last season. And for all of their great up-and-coming defensemen, they were also in the bottom third for goals against. Mrazek/Darling won't bail that out.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Carolina is a good team that pushes the play, really similar to the Jets prior to this year in the sense where they're usually outplaying their opponents and with league average goaltending would be a consistent playoff team.

Their defensive core is incredibly good and among the most effective in the NHL in terms of results. (shot suppression)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Carolina is a good team that pushes the play, really similar to the Jets prior to this year in the sense where they're usually outplaying their opponents and with league average goaltending would be a consistent playoff team.

Their defensive core is incredibly good and among the most effective in the NHL in terms of results. (shot suppression)

They're not a good team. They suck. The fact that they managed a mind-blowing +400 shot differential and were still a bottom-10 offensive team that allowed more goals than they scored is not a credit to them, it's evidence of how much they suck. Their feckless forwards pile up shots chasing games their goalies give away in the first 30 minutes. They're bad. They're not good. And they're not going to be good until they fix the fact that they can't build a top 6 forward line.

The Flyers and Leafs have bad defenses. One has pretty good goalies, the other has pretty bad goalies. Both have really good forwards. Both were ~100 point teams last season: Carolina had 83. Defense might win championships, but you need to score enough goals to survive 82 games and make the playoffs. Carolina is bad.

Comparing them to earlier versions of the Jets is silly. The Jets had NHL goalies and a number of effective forwards. The Resurgent Hurricanes is an HF pipedream held by advanced stats nerds and defensive prospect fetishists.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
John Tavares is unquestionably a top 10 centre in the league..

Malkin
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Backstrom
Stamkos
Kopitar

Those are 7 centers (in no order) I'd take over Tavares easily.

He falls into the group with Giroux, Seguin, Scheifele, Bergeron and Barkov (HM: Kuznetsov)

It definitely is questionable/debatable unless you're a leafs fan

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Malkin
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Backstrom
Stamkos
Kopitar

He falls into the group with Giroux, Seguin, Scheifele, Bergeron and Barkov (HM: Kuznetsov)

I would probably throw Backstrom, Matthews(for now) and Stamkos into the 2nd group. All that being said I could see arguments for Tavares being 5th or 14th with all the guys you mentioned(it also depends on a year by year basis, I would argue 4 years ago and last year he is probably top 10, the 2 years in between not so much)

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Malkin
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Backstrom
Stamkos
Kopitar

Giroux isnt a center anymore, scheifele has more to prove, his best is barley ppg, Stamkos is neck and neck with JT scoring lately but JT brings more to the game and doesn't have nearly as good linemates. Backstrom same thing, not the defense part though. All else i agree with. imo

Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Kopitar

and the rest fight it out.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Erik Karlsson Defensively before 2016.

I always heard he was good. But when ever we played Ottawa. I just wasnt impressed from his defensive game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I always heard he was good. But when ever we played Ottawa. I just wasnt impressed from his defensive game.

Not saying he was/is good defensively but I do think he is great at getting the puck out of his own dzone, so the less time you spend in your own zone the less chance the other team has to score

Reactions: Catch22 and Pure

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I've never been overly impressed watching Karlsson in the defensive zone either. Especially in a physical game.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Steven Stamkos is the answer. Completely carried by Kucherov. Most of our fanbase thinks that he is our 2C which says a lot. (He was a beast in the past though but just not the same after the injuries.)

Reactions: Portable Mink

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

I feel the same but I'll take it a step further, I feel like he was just bad defensively every time I watched him. Great offensively, bad defensively. I swear that he had a hard time turning in one direction and everyone was taking advantage of him and he would bail on a lot of plays. That is how bad defensively he seemed to me.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Giroux isnt a center anymore, scheifele has more to prove, his best is barley ppg, Stamkos is neck and neck with JT scoring lately but JT brings more to the game and doesn't have nearly as good linemates. Backstrom same thing, not the defense part though. All else i agree with. imo

Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Kopitar

and the rest fight it out.

Scheifele has more to prove, but Matthews doesn't?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Toews always passes the eye test. He gets so much hate on here because his points don't match his cap-hit. And he is overpaid, you can't argue it. But if you watch Blackhawks games, especially when they matter, he is one of the most noticeable and impactful players for them.

Arizona passes the eye test. Everyone wrote them off because of the disaster-beyond-all-reason start last season. Like 1 win in 15 games or something. But that was mostly due to cardboard-cut-out quality goaltending. And the team played really well in the last 40 games, and looked like a smart group that played the right way. They passed the eye test with flying colors.

Curtis McElhinney always passed the eye test since he arrived in Toronto. Calm and steady. The definition of what you want a backup goalie to look like.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm convinced Stamkos would be like a 50-60pt player without Kucherov now.

Just doesn't look very good since the injury.

Hamilton is another one who looks like nothing more than a PPQB who's a disaster defensively.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets will need Helly to stand on his head again. Tons of talent, but the braintrust behind the bench is woefully under par.

Reactions: Ares

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad