Which teams may get contracted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
If the lockout ends this NHL season, and if the NHL has to contract a few teams in 06-07 how many teams do you think might get contracted and which ones?

I'm guessing 2 teams to start and maybe more a few years later. I'd guess Carolina and one of :Pitts, Nashville, Atl, Florida

Or would these teams relocate? If so where? I'd like to say Winnipeg but I don't think there new builiding is big enough for an NHL team (only 15,000). Maybe back to Quebec but I doubt that also...

I hope they contract teams and not relocate unless to Canada where we live and breathe hockey

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably find your answer in one of the other contraction threads.

Lanny MacDonald*

My top six choices for contraction or relocation.

1. Carolina
2. Nashville
3. Anaheim
4. Phoenix
5. Pittsburgh
6. Buffalo

My top six cities for consideration for expansion or relocation.

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Houston
4. Winnipeg
5. Hamilton
6. Kansas City

The relocation moves I would make as commisioner if I had to make all the moves?

1. Carolina - Hamilton
2. Nashville - Kansas City
3. Anaheim - Houston
4. Phoenix - Winnipeg
5. Pittsburgh - Seattle
6. Buffalo - Hamilton

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Iconoclast said:

1. Carolina
2. Nashville
3. Anaheim
4. Phoenix
5. Pittsburgh
6. Buffalo

1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Houston
4. Winnipeg
5. Hamilton
6. Kansas City

The relocation moves I would make as commisioner if I had to make all the moves?

1. Carolina - Hamilton
2. Nashville - Kansas City
3. Anaheim - Houston
4. Phoenix - Winnipeg
5. Pittsburgh - Seattle
6. Buffalo - Hamilton

Precisely why your position in life is "kooky messageboard guy" and not "NHL commissioner."

THe league would be in the ground in five years.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Teams will only be relocated, not contracted. I can't see an owner spending $100 mil on a team and then letting it go without compensation from the league. Also have to think about the players who are under contract for that team too. The NHL has to pay them.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Shouldn't we retitle this "I am a big team fan, no danger of my team going anywhere, love outspending everyone, so look at the red herring behind the corner, there's your problem, and let me friggnin keep on out-spending you.'

Long title, but fairly accurate.

Last edited:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Haven't we beaten this topic to an unmerciful fate many times already?? Seems like a fight just waiting to break out. Let's say the Cleveland Barons and leave it at that. :)

It's been beating to death since i joined the board. Has any thread started ever suggest his/her team be the one contracted? Nope i dont think so.

:deadhorse :beatup:

MacDaddy TLC*

None will get contracted. It would cost too much money for the remaining teams, who gladly took the expansion money. Teams may fold. Teams may relocate. They won't be contracted. MLB learned when they tried to kiss a couple franchises goodbye, the courts won't let the league just tell them you're out.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
JWI19 said:
It's been beating to death since i joined the board. Has any thread started ever suggest his/her team be the one contracted? Nope i dont think so.

:deadhorse :beatup:

It's like the classic junior-high bully. He picks on anyone he can just because beneath it all, he's a self-loathing, insecure rodent. Talking about contracting or moving teams is a way for people to feel better about their own miserable teams.

Lanny MacDonald*

nomorekids said:
Montreal-Concord, New Hampshire
Ottawa-Portland, Oregon
Vancouver- Seattle, Washington
Calgary-Kansas City, Missouri
Edmonton- Houston, Texas

Toronto can stay.

What is your problem? I would take it that you are a fan of one of the teams I suggested relocating or foldingand you hoped that a shot at Canadian teams would hurt me or something? Guess again. I'm from Phoenix, one of those teams I suggested relocating. I think about the game as my first priority and my own selfish desires number two. Maybe you should do the same? Every one of the teams listed is a problem in some shape or form. They deserve to be wiped from the NHL road map.

Since you are such a proponent of each of these teams existence, how about you tell us WHY those teams should stick around? What is the benefit for them being in the league in their current location?

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
The Iconoclast, personally I couldn't care less where you come from. Some of the above teams are not in danger of moving or needing contraction and a LITTLE investigation would show you that. Pittsburgh for one has one of the better attendance figures, and only needs a new building which they are getting. Once they get slot licences they would be a rich team. They have been one of the few teams making money in the last few years! I think too many people look at what has happened to teams like Pittsburgh and not dug a little deeper to see what is really happening.

Basically forget about moving teams right now and just hope that someone in the hockey dictatorships pull their finger out of their butt and start doing something other than waiting for the other guy to blink first. To most fans around it is clear what is going to happen. This will mean that all teams will be in the same place as they are now. Of course this will only happen if they two bodies stop f-ing around and do the thing that everyone knows they need to do.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
trahans99 said:
Why all the bickering, can't anyone just answer the simple question on IF contraction were to happen how many and what teams?

No offense, but:
1. It has been beaten to death here. It always seems to break down into a non-verbal shouting match, so I think folks were just trying to get it over with.
2. No teams will contract. Struggling teams may move, which is fine. But none will be eliminated.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Double-Shift Lassés said:
No offense, but:
1. It has been beaten to death here. It always seems to break down into a non-verbal shouting match, so I think folks were just trying to get it over with.
2. No teams will contract. Struggling teams may move, which is fine. But none will be eliminated.

I have searched for other threads and couldn't find any. You have a link

Lanny MacDonald*

jwr38 said:
Pittsburgh for one has one of the better attendance figures, and only needs a new building which they are getting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Thanks for playing.

Now here is why I selected the teams, the cities, and the movement choices.

1. Carolina... second worst attendence. Just not a hockey market any way you wish to look at it. Not a natural rival for anyone and likely never will be. Its a great college town and should be able to draw fans, but for some reason the sport just doesn't catch on in the area. The NHL can do better with this franchise.

2. Nashville... third worst attendence. Same reasons as Carolina. The NHL can do much better than having a team in Nashville.

3. Anaheim... eighth worst attendence. Should be a natural rival for Los Angeles, but that hasn't developed. They are Disney on ice and no one takes them seriously. They have an awesome arena to play in, but can't draw flies. There has to be more than a great arena and a funky name to having a sports team.

4. Phoenix... this is painful to say, but my hometown does not deserve a team. The support is minimal and the apathy towards it is huge. The new arena is in the worst spot possible and the support will continue to dwindle IMO. Worst draw on the road in the league. They are the natural rival to no one and beyonf the population and great golfing offer nothing to the NHL.

5. Pittsburgh... worst attendence in the league. They need a new building and Pittsburgh is iffy on whether they get it or not (is it confirmed they are defintiely getting a new arena?). They are not really a big rival for anyone, nor a natural rival. Pittsburgh is blah IMO and outside of Mario Lemieux is a blip.

6. Buffalo... I really like Buffalo, but they never have been a strong franchise. I think that this is a situation where the suport is from outside the metro area more than it is from within the metro area. I think that a move across the lake would a be a good thing for this franchise all around.

1. Portland... is a hockey market, has a great building and an owner with deep pockets looking for the right opportunity. Has some built in regional rivalries that would add some excitment to the game.

2. Seattle... another hockey market with the same great things Portland has to offer.

3. Houston... a proven hockey market who could really take off with the bitter rivalry between Dallas and Houston.

4. Winnipeg... a hockey market with built in rivals all over the place.

5. Hamilton... see Winnipeg.

6. Kansas City... not a hockey market, which is a huge strike against it. Having said that, the potential is there to exploit some natural rivalries that could assist at the gate and make this a strong franchise.

Finally, the New NHL, one that cuts down on travel for most teams and would leverage the regaional rivalies and get some honest to goodness hate going on again.

Western Conference

Los Angeles, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbus

Eastern Conference

Philadelphia, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Tampa, Miami, Washington, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston

See, there is some method behind the ideas and not just eliminating a team because of some dreamed up bias.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs will never allow a team in Hamilton.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
trahans99 said:
I have searched for other threads and couldn't find any. You have a link

Three threads in three much with a cursory search, and I likely missed some. These do not include all of the threads regarding how wonderful a market Winnipeg is compared to others and how teams should move there. Nor the links asking for polls about which is the worst hockey market. Anyways, here are some, they pop up about once a month for as long as I have been here, many more times a month if you include those variations above:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=123415

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=121091

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=104933

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Iconoclast said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

5. Pittsburgh... worst attendence in the league. They need a new building and Pittsburgh is iffy on whether they get it or not (is it confirmed they are defintiely getting a new arena?). They are not really a big rival for anyone, nor a natural rival. Pittsburgh is blah IMO and outside of Mario Lemieux is a blip.

For one friggin year, when they were last in the league and fielded a very very very bad team for the first 3/4 of the year.

Since 1986 they have averaged higher attendance that almost half the teams in hockey, and except for the last four years were way over 15,000 a year, comfortably in the middle of the road.

I vote for contracting whatever team you root for. No bias there of course.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Thanks for playing.
Well, you've made it quite obvious that you are not Ken Jennings....

The Iconoclast said:
First, as others have stated, get your attendance figures straight. Use a larger sample size.

Second, the Pens are on the cusp of a new arena ......(privately financed by the way)....and have just hired their proverbial ace in the hole to assure it. It would take an unspeakable event to prevent them from acquiring the new slots liscense.

Third, the Pens are rivals with 3 distinct teams. The Capitals, with whom the fans share a mutual disdain for each other. To a lesser degree, the Rangers, whom they have had a rivalry with dating back to the early 1990's, and to a much lesser degree, the Flyers.

Thank you for trying to come up with ideas out of thin air, but much like a goodnovelist, do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad