Which teams are the Wings better positioned than?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by A Few Good Males, Sep 27, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. A Few Good Males

A Few Good Males Registered User

Knowing what we know prior to the 2018-2019 season, which teams are we in a better position than? Thinking in terms of likelihood to win a cup in both the short- and long-term. There are teams that are likely to make the playoffs this year that I would swap with (Minnesota, for example, I wouldn't swap with as I don't see them as true contenders and believe they will be a mess in a few years with how old their core is) and vice versa (Vancouver - as much as I love the Wings' young assets, I love their young assets even more, with Boeser, Petterson, Hughes, Demko, Horvat, Gaudette, Juolevi, Dahlen, Horvat, Lind, and Virtanen).

In other words, if we could swap assets (players, prospects, picks) with another franchise, would we? Here's what I'm thinking:

Teams we have it better than:
    Anaheim
    Arizona
    Chicago
    Los Angeles
    Minnesota
    Montreal
    New York Rangers
    Ottawa

Teams that have it better than us:
    Boston
    Buffalo
    Calgary
    Carolina
    Colorado
    Columbus
    Dallas
    Edmonton
    Florida
    Nashville
    New Jersey
    New York Islanders
    Philadelphia
    Pittsburgh
    St. Louis
    San Jose
    Tampa
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Vegas
    Washington
    Winnipeg

2. haulinbass

haulinbass Registered User

A year of development, a draft, a trade, etc can all change the projection of every one of those teams for better or worse in a hurry.

The only thing we can say right now is that the Wings look to have a very strong start to a rebuild. A year from now if certain key prospects don't take the expected steps we could be in bad shape with a long road ahead of us. If enough of those key prospects progress strongly we could suddenly be looking at a fast turnaround with playoff hopes in the near future.

3. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    It could be the fastest rebuilds what has happened under a salary cap.

And it will made by a GM, who was told be that he can't rebuild. :D:laugh::laugh:

4. Oddbob

Oddbob Registered User

The emblazoned answer here is :sens OTTAWA! :sens (if letter size was bigger than 7 that would be my choice) Phew there situation SUCKS!

:habs - has it pretty bad, not a lot of high end prospects and an even worse core now that Pacioretty is gone.

:hawks - Is starting to feel the effects of being good for a long time, kind of like we did. Time to restock for the future in my opinion.

:coyotes - Unless they get an owner willing to keep players together, they will just keep doing what they do, get good young players, start improving, and then falling backwards when said good players move on, and rinse and repeat.

:wild - They always seem like a team that are decent on paper but not really all that great, and continually a mediocre underachiever.

:isles - Another team that needs an owner willing to keep talent in town, which hardly even now, seems to be the case. I know they tried with Tavares, but remains to be seen if that was a one time, he played his whole career with us instance.

lidstromiscool likes this.
  5. Lampedampe

Lampedampe Registered User

This previous draft was huge boost just purely based on the amount of early picks, if Holland plays this TDL well and aquires a haul of picks we could easily leap-frog a lot of teams, even better if we get lucky with a first overall pick. I mean at the end of the day, this team has come a long way in terms of young talent in a short period of time, just a couple years a go things were looking a lot more bleak.

We're probably looking at another 2-3 years as a bottom team, and in that time the prospect pool will get a massive boost. I see a lot of people doing line-up predictions 2 years from now without realizing just how much will change in 2 years, just look at predictions for 2018/19 season a couple of years ago. So looking at our current position seems irrelevant, the biggest asset we have right now is icing a terrible team which is something that will benefit us greatly in the future.

The thing that sucks right now as a fan is that there's not too much to be happy about right now, the only solace is to look to the future. But atleast things are moving the in the right direction as of now.

Ulysses31 likes this.
  6. Nightmare on Helm St

Nightmare on Helm St Registered User

Supply Economist
    In terms of long term future, the only teams that seem clearly ahead of the Wings to me are Winnipeg, Toronto, Buffalo, Philly, Tampa, Columbus, Colorado and Edmonton. Basically teams that already have a clear young #1 D/ C to build around.

A lot can change with some lottery luck this year.

7. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    I've predicted us to be 2nd worst at 2018-19 season.

Only Ottawa is worse, after they sell Stone and Duchene.

What comes to long-term rankings, that's harder to predict. I could say our future is in TOP10 side.

8. DarkReign

DarkReign Registered User

I do not agree. Arizona, Ottawa, Montreal, Islanders and Hurricanes are all in the same boat. The Wings are not last in that list.

(but still pretty awful)

9. A Few Good Males

I’d add Florida, Boston, Carolina, Vancouver and Vegas to that list at this point.

Nightmare on Helm St likes this.
  10. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

long term? not a lot of teams

Ottawa,maybe Montreal

that's about it

obviously things can change over time though

11. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

I think there are too many unknowns to really answer this right now.

Want to see what Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hronek, etc look like at the NHL level first.

12. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
  13. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

14. StargateSG1

StargateSG1 Registered User

Only hhead, long term, of Ottawa and Montreal at this point.
    And only because Montreal has an incompetent GM and Ottawa has an incompetent GM/owner.

15. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Yeah. That's for next season success.

As for futures, we'll be at Top10. Like Pronman ranked us 12th with the U23 core. And we are gonna draft high more elite players on becoming drafts to strengthen that core. That pretty much predicts the future, when that core will hit on prime.

Team go up and down. Down teams get high picks and bounce back. Up teams get killed by salary raises for the main core and drop down. Circle goes on and on. It shouldn't be anymore news in a salary cap world.

16. obey86

obey86 Registered User

I dont know how anyone can have Buffalo ahead of anybody. People were saying the same thing 3 years ago, they were going to light the league on fire, best young core in the league, etc. They are one of those "ill believe it when I see it" type teams...even with Dahlin on the roster.

Oddbob likes this.
  17. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era RIP Fugu

Coming to a tv near you soon, I think they don't make the playoffs this year, but there is a big step forward. Had they not hitched there wagon to Hutton I would be happier. But still Mittlestadt is also important to this and Dahlin is a really big deal.

They are coming, plus Risto now slots down correctly instead of playing above his head. I really like the young pieces they have in place. They went out and got some better vets but for depth playing roles and to support the group they have. Interesting off-season. Curious how Skinner will look there but he is a potential 30 goal scorer. You have to think Eichel will eventually get a full season and he is a 90 point type player. They should be better this year in my opinion.

18. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Buffalo will rise for sure, after you add those 3x 2019 1st rounders from next draft to that core. They just can't miss that talent with those picks in a deep draft.

19. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era RIP Fugu

They have a really exciting foundation at this point and like you said an avenue to one more big prospect influx. Plus even while losing ROR I think the veteran depth they added in the trade and getting Skinner should give them a little more depth for this years version. Dahlin really is a #1 and a good one from day one, like when Doughty stepped right into the league in my opinion.

Highest I have been on a D prospect since Bryan Berard.

20. 21 Savage

21 Savage Registered User

Really, Wings have a lot more young talent and pipeline pre this year's lottery pick (Potentially Jack Hughes), then Toronto did prior to Matthews.

Nightmare on Helm St and Henkka like this.
  21. A Few Good Males

Eh. They had Rielly, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Gardiner, Dermott and Kapanen (and JVR, although he would have been like 26) in their system prior to the 2016 draft. That's a pretty dang good young crop.

Flowah likes this.
  22. 21 Savage

21 Savage Registered User

Dang, for some reason I forgot Marner was already in the system. You're right then, that is a good young crop. I wouldn't say that list is FOR SURE better than Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, AA, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, and our young D prospects, but I'd probably lean towards them.

My mistake

23. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    And when we look at Wings corps after next season, you notice that we have 3 equal defencemen and better group of forwards.

24. A Few Good Males

Too early to say which group is better IMO. Have to wait and see how our guys pan out. But the Leafs have a lot of talent from the 2014 and 2015 drafts that are a significant pieces of them being a contender.

25. A Few Good Males

I agree in that I like our group of D prospects better (although I will be ecstatic if any of our guys pans out to be equivalent to Morgan Rielly) - our group is much deeper with a better chance to hit a home run.

I like their forwards, though. If Zadina turns out to be Marner I'll be doing backflips. Marner is on the fringe of becoming a superstar as a 21 year old.

Flowah likes this.