Which team you dont want/want Crosby to go?( for the health of the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Vlad The Impaler said:
Why do so many people think the future of this league depends on one player, or on one market anyway? It's naive bull**** from uncreative people. They've got to push the whole league forward. Using the "big market" and the supposedly future big player as crutches is far from the only way to accomplish that.

And just to be contrarian, if I was buying in those crappy, childish conspiracies and ulterior motives, I'd say "the league" (whatever the **** that means, since the league is basically 30 owners in a partnership) would probably want Crosby in a Western market. Because if he ends up in the Eastern conference, that's 10 western conference per year that "Crosby the savior" isn't exposed to and I think the Western Conference has newer markets that still need to gain ground. Also, the Eastern Conference has the lion's share of young superstars and prospects/players with interesting potential, IMO.

Agreed, this cannot be emphasized enough.

Crosby will basically have to be a trancendant player like on Gretzky has ever been if he's gonna be the "saviour of the NHL".
And chances are, he's not gonna be that "trancedant" player till he's been around and dominated for a while, which even if we say is when he hits 25, also happens to be the age he'll get free agency at and will be able to go to whatever team he wishes at that point, meaning who he goes to now is moot.

The only way 18yr old Crosby sells more tickets than normal in whatever market he lands in is if he's in a market where people already know who he is. The casual sports fan who barely follows hockey isn't gonna be inspired to go to a Thrashers or Preds game just if he sees a little bit at the end of Sportscentre about how his hometown team has drafted this highly touted prospect.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Another thing...

Why is it that his going ot NYC would be best for the overall health of the game? Can someone expand on that?

If it's because his "star would shine the brightest" there... well, if he's that awesome and unique a player, wouldn't it shine no matter where he plays? Gretzky got quite famous playing in that not-so-media-hotbed of Edmonton...

If it's because he gives the Rangers "star power" and a good chance at the Cup, haven't they already had Messier, Leetch, Lindros and Jagr all at the same time? Unless Crosby is going to be better than all those players combined...

Sec of Partying Down

Mar 20, 2003
Moscow, Idaho
Visit site
Cropduster said:
For the HEALTH of the NHL? I would like to see him with:

(in order)
1) New York Rangers
2) Los Angeles Kings
3) Chicago Blackhawks
4) Philadelphia Flyers (I hate saying that though)
5) Dallas Stars/Toronto Maple Leafs

the teams that would be the worst for the NHL
(in order)

1) Ottawa Senators
2) Calgary Flames
3) Edmonton Oilers
4) Carolina Hurricanes
5) Nashville Predators/Buffalo Sabres

Obviously the sport is sold in Canada, add that in with "small market" Canada with very little media coverage, thats why I said #2 and #3. Ottawa doesnt have the NHL history with the Senators as Oilers and Flames, and with a population not too much bigger, they got my vote for worst. Raleigh is just too small of a city with less hope of promoting Crosby. Preds and Sabres were my final cities for no particular reason other than they are smaller towns compared to the rest of the U.S.

Comments on my picks?
I disagree with the Canadian teams. Calgary is a growing city, is a major corporate center, and putting Crosby there would not hurt the NHL. Edmonton would be worse, perhaps, but it wouldn't hurt the NHL. Ottawa is one of the best places for him to go, IMO, as he will be with a top level team.

Carolina would be the worst, simply not a hockey market at all or a well managed team.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
CHfan4ever said:
Teams i dont want him to go ( do not list team you dont like.I hate the leafs exemple, but i wont list Toronto because it can be good for the Nhl to have him land there.( in no specific order)

1-Nashville
2-Carolina
3-Florida
4-Buffalo
5-Minnesota
6-Columbus
7-StLouis
8-Phoenix

If Crosby land in one of these organisation, i think ill stop watching NHL :madfire:

Good riddance.
:shakehead

As I've said before, any Habs fan worth his salt would be rooting against Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo and Philly. Worrying about Crosby in Nashville just shows a superiority complex where no superiority exists.

And this comes from a lifelong Habs fan who's lived in Montreal all his life.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Cropduster said:
your kidding, right? Of course that statistic is far from true, but let say it was even 75% (which is still a benefit of the doubt)-have you ever been here? Jackets fan WEST-does that mean you live in So Cal? That other 25% is still 3x as many people who live in Columbus, and that would be assumming 100% of Columbus cared which everyone on this board knows is so so far from true.

Yes, I live in Los Angeles.

Back in February, on KTLA 10 o’clock news the news achors were bantering about how they didn’t realize the Kings and Ducks weren’t playing after a 10 second blurb about the season being cancelled. Which is understandable, since most nights their sports coverage never mentioned the NHL. I doubt that would change without or without Crosby. Either team could win the Stanley Cup and it wouldn't even merit a mention.

I've been just amazed by the lack of support of teams here in LA. I've moved around frequently (I've lived in New York City, Orlando, went to college at Ohio State, and almost 6 years in Los Angeles) and I've never seen less dedicated fans. It's no wonder there is no longer a football team in Los Angeles.

Just because there are more people in So Cal doesn't mean there's a bigger potential market. I've been to many Mighty Ducks games when there were only a few thousands people there. There is no interest if they aren't winning.

Fans without a true understanding of hockey aren't going to understand that Sidney might need a few years to develop. And there are so many other teams in Southern California if the Kings and Ducks aren't winning.

The atmosphere in Columbus is far more condusive for hockey. It's a sports obsessed area. And Columbus is within 2 hours drive of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Toledo. It's taken me 2 hours to get to Staples Center in the friggin' traffic around there. So the market for the Jackets is considerably larger than just Columbus. The other benefit of Columbus is the 50,000+ Ohio State students that graduate and spread throughout the country. There's a group of about 30 Jackets fans that meet that the Ducks and Kings games that are almost all OSU grads. That number will keep growing.

The Jackets have been terrible and nearly every game has sold out. OSU hockey also frequently sells out. These aren't good teams and they still sell out. Compare that to a few years ago in Anaheim when most games during a weekday looked like a ghost town. (but the lack of any lines were really nice)

I've also been involved in youth hockey in Ohio and now Southern California, which is the real sign of how much of a growing market there is. There is such a strong youth hockey program in Columbus, even before the Blue Jackets. Here at my local rink in So Cal, they're struggling to find enough kids to play. That's indicative of the lack of interest in hockey.

Whether Crosby plays in a big or small market, it's not to save the NHL. Making Crosby successful will help considerably, since the NHL needs a marketable star. They need a player that's highly visable on ads for Gatorade or Wheaties boxes or whatever. Hopefully Crosby could be that one. But he needs to develop into that type of player and carry a franchise by his current abilities not by the number of goals he scored in juniors.

Merely putting Crosby in a large market like LA or NYC isn't going to immediately turn into a boom for that team like some people expect. "Come see Sidney Crosby, the 18 year old struggling to adjust to the NHL" will not attract any non-hockey fans in LA or NYC to buy tickets. The problem is that some at the NHL have such a low understanding of how to market hockey that I wonder if they understand that.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Fair enough, you have some good points. However when the originally question to this thread was what team would be best for Crosby to end up in for the better of the NHL, saying "Buffalo needs another superstar" is not going to be better for the NHL. What is the difference between Buffalo and lets say, Dallas, from your list? If anything Buffalo's population is on the decline and Dallas is booming.

I think my point is you seem to be looking at which team and their city would benefit from having Crosby. I am speaking of the health of the NHL, particularly in the southern United States where yes we are very very trendy and if our teams do well you will see it splattered all over the media.

I for one cannot stand the Rangers (just cause I hate NY sports in general) but if Crosby ended up there instead of Calgary (a team I like) I would be happier because the cities to which the NHL is trying to expand won't care about some kid named Sidney Crosby in Alberta, Canada.

The test was already made with #99 when he came to Los Angeles. Had it not been for that there probably would be no NHL hockey in Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad