Which team would win a 7 game series and why?

Which team would win a 7 game series and why?

• Team A

Votes: 49 59.0%
  • Team B

Votes: 34 41.0%

• Total voters

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Which team would win a 7 game series and why? AVG means an average player at that position. Ignore the RD and LD of the Dmen. All the players are in their prime.

Team A

Bobby Hull - Wayne Gretzky - Maurice Richard
Mark Messier - Howie Morenz - Guy Lafleur
AVG - Stan Mikita - AVG
AVG - Phil Esposito - AVG

Bobby Orr - Eddie Shore
Denis Potvin - Red Kelly
AVG - AVG

Patrick Roy
Jacques Plante

Team B

Alex Ovechkin - Mario Lemieux - Gordie Howe
AVG - Jean Beliveau - Jaromir Jagr
AVG - Sidney Crosby - Sergei Makarov
AVG - Bobby Clarke - AVG

Doug Harvey - Ray Bourque
Nicklas Lidstrom - Viacheslav Fetisov
AVG - AVG

Dominik Hasek
Glenn Hall​

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which team would win a 7 game series and why? AVG means an average player at that position. Ignore the RD and LD of the Dmen. If one team has a series ending injury the universal reserve is the great Bobby Clarke.

Team A

AVG - Stan Mikita - AVG
AVG - Phil Esposito - AVG

Bobby Orr - Eddie Shore
Nicklas Lidstrom - Red Kelly
AVG - AVG

Patrick Roy
Jacques Plante

Team B

Alex Ovechkin - Mario Lemieux - Gordie Howe
AVG - Jean Beliveau - Jaromir Jagr
AVG - Sidney Crosby - Sergei Makarov
AVG - Frank Nighbor - AVG

Doug Harvey - Ray Bourque
Denis Potvin - Viacheslav Fetisov
AVG - AVG

Dominik Hasek
Glenn Hall

If we are talking prime it is team B without question. Makarov and Fetisov were unbelievable in their prime by all accounts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bobby Orr - Eddie Shore
Patrick Roy

Team B is great. I do think Team A's top two lines, first pairing, and goalie (listed above) are pretty good.​

I think when you see Gretzky, Orr, Roy you see the trinity of the best F, D, G to play the game, but if we are talking prime.. Lemieux, Harvey, Hasek has an argument.

You’re then adding Howe, Beliveau versus in my mind Hull and Richard which is an easy win for B.

Messier, Morenz, Lafleur versus Ovechkin, Crosby, Jagr ain’t even a question for me. Easy win for Ovie, Crosby, Jags.

I think Lidstrom and Shore versus Bourque and Potvin is close.

I think Makarov and Fetisov get underrated though as I said.

Reactions: authentic

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Team A

Orr the deciding factor
Yeah, because Orr's dominance in the 1970s would totally translate to dominance against Crosby and Ovechkin.

Team B. Crosby and Ovechkin would skate circles around any of those players not named Lidstrom.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah, because Orr's dominance in the 1970s would totally translate to dominance against Crosby and Ovechkin. Team B. Crosby and Ovechkin would skate circles around any of those players not named Lidstrom.
Nighbor gets a series ending injury and both teams make their only trade allowed. Team A now has Potvin and Team B has Clarke and Lidstrom. Votes can be changed.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Yeah, because Orr's dominance in the 1970s would totally translate to dominance against Crosby and Ovechkin.

Team B. Crosby and Ovechkin would skate circles around any of those players not named Lidstrom.

The great ones always adjust and figure out how to win. You’d be surprised.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Can't choose but this would be the greatest series of all time. These teams faced 20 times it be a split nice poll

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
If we are talking prime it is team B without question. Makarov and Fetisov were unbelievable in their prime by all accounts.

All of those players were unbelievable in their prime though. There's nothing about Fetisov or Makarov that seperates them from the other players in this poll.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I lean toward Team B. Their relentless possession of the puck would be a deciding factor, in my estimation.

But these sort of polls are always pretty much impossible to answer, with mixed generations so far apart and such a different game being played. Never really know how to handicap things to account for that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I would say B, although it's much harder to judge Shore and Morenz, but even just assuming how they dominated their peers translates perfectly through time (not to mention Harvey, Howe etc. but atleast they dominated in the O6 days) I still think Team B is better here by a bit. Hasek is just a plain better goalie than Roy in their primes and the rest of the team is deeper beyond the top 2 for Team A.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Hull = OV
Gretzky >= Lemieux
Richard < Howe
Messier =< Makarov
Morenz < Beliveau
Lafleur = Jagr
Mikita =< Crosby
Esposito =< Clarke (especially as a 4C)

Orr > Harvey
Shore < Bourque
Potvin >= Lidstrom
Kelly < Fetisov

Roy < Hasek

Team B has better forwards and goaltending, A has better D (mainly because of Orr). B has more physicality and nastiness up front with OV, Howe and Clarke vs really just Messier for A. I also feel down the middle they are more "balanced". Team A Gretzky is all offense, but that's fine because he's the GOAT. But Mikita and especially Esposito are 2 guys who aren't good defensively so it's basically having 3 offensive minded Cs. But with B there's Lemieux as the offensive dynamo, Beliveau and Crosby both bring elite offense with good D and Clarke is the perfect 4C as arguably the best defensive/2 way C ever. So I'll say B even though it's close and usually not smart to go against Gretzky.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

And that's why you have to judge these kind of questions by comparing each player's dominance in his own era. If you start comparing 2010s player to 1950s player by who'd win if they'd play each other, the 2010s guy wins 9/10 times

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hull = OV
Gretzky >= Lemieux
Richard < Howe
Messier =< Makarov
Morenz < Beliveau
Lafleur = Jagr
Mikita =< Crosby
Esposito =< Clarke (especially as a 4C)

Orr > Harvey
Shore < Bourque
Potvin >= Lidstrom
Kelly < Fetisov

Roy < Hasek

Team B has better forwards and goaltending, A has better D (mainly because of Orr). B has more physicality and nastiness up front with OV, Howe and Clarke vs really just Messier for A. I also feel down the middle they are more "balanced". Team A Gretzky is all offense, but that's fine because he's the GOAT. But Mikita and especially Esposito are 2 guys who aren't good defensively so it's basically having 3 offensive minded Cs. But with B there's Lemieux as the offensive dynamo, Beliveau and Crosby both bring elite offense with good D and Clarke is the perfect 4C as arguably the best defensive/2 way C ever. So I'll say B even though it's close and usually not smart to go against Gretzky.

Good analysis - but honestly in a matchup like this you can't even pick a winner like that. It comes down to intangibles, more than ranking players 1 by 1. Lafleur is what....10th best player here maybe? And for all we know he could be above and beyond 3x better than anyone else and score 18 points in those 7 games and be the differentiator. Or Ovechkin. Or Mikita. etc

I'm looking at goalies - and in a high stakes matchup (especially 7 game series, not just one off single game) - I can't see Roy, and especially Roy/Plante duo shitting the bed. Hasek when good is maybe better than anyone, but I think he's a bit more volatile/unpredictable, and I think Hall isn't as good as the others, so I give slight edge to team A.

Next looking at forwards....like I said practically anyone of them is good enough to completely take over and be the MVP. If you played 100 games? Sure, Gretzky, Lemieux etc differentiate themselves since they're the best, but small sample sizes are unpredictable. Some big game players on each side include:

Gretzky, Richard, Lafleur...maybe Messier
Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby....Howe/Clarke

It's hard to bet against Gretzky in big game/series. He's always been the top scorer in every single playoff/international tournament in his prime, so you know he's going to show up. I also really, really like both Lafleur and Richard in big game situations. Messier obviously has big game experience and success too.
I think Lemieux is great - but slight edge to Gretzky in big game situations. Beliveau also great, but I somehow like both Richard/Lafleur slightly better. Don't think any of Crosby/Howe/Clarke are a big enough differentiator in big games. So again - leaning slightly team A for forwards

Defense...Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom...maybe the 3 more consistent high end defensemen of all-time taking into account longevity. But for big game peak, I think I like both Orr (obviously) and Potvin above any of them. So again - slight edge to team A.

So - i'll go team A.

Reactions: Joliet Jake

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I know they’re not on the same line but imagine Mario ovi and jagr on the ice together. Jesus Christ

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Good analysis - but honestly in a matchup like this you can't even pick a winner like that. It comes down to intangibles, more than ranking players 1 by 1. Lafleur is what....10th best player here maybe? And for all we know he could be above and beyond 3x better than anyone else and score 18 points in those 7 games and be the differentiator. Or Ovechkin. Or Mikita. etc

I'm looking at goalies - and in a high stakes matchup (especially 7 game series, not just one off single game) - I can't see Roy, and especially Roy/Plante duo shitting the bed. Hasek when good is maybe better than anyone, but I think he's a bit more volatile/unpredictable, and I think Hall isn't as good as the others, so I give slight edge to team A.

Next looking at forwards....like I said practically anyone of them is good enough to completely take over and be the MVP. If you played 100 games? Sure, Gretzky, Lemieux etc differentiate themselves since they're the best, but small sample sizes are unpredictable. Some big game players on each side include:

Gretzky, Richard, Lafleur...maybe Messier
Lemieux, Beliveau, Crosby....Howe/Clarke

It's hard to bet against Gretzky in big game/series. He's always been the top scorer in every single playoff/international tournament in his prime, so you know he's going to show up. I also really, really like both Lafleur and Richard in big game situations. Messier obviously has big game experience and success too.
I think Lemieux is great - but slight edge to Gretzky in big game situations. Beliveau also great, but I somehow like both Richard/Lafleur slightly better. Don't think any of Crosby/Howe/Clarke are a big enough differentiator in big games. So again - leaning slightly team A for forwards

Defense...Harvey, Bourque, Lidstrom...maybe the 3 more consistent high end defensemen of all-time taking into account longevity. But for big game peak, I think I like both Orr (obviously) and Potvin above any of them. So again - slight edge to team A.

So - i'll go team A.

I considered all of your points (especially Gretzky) but I just feel that skill and "game breakers" and intangibles are basically a wash up front, but B brings that physical advantage that pushes them ahead imo. Obviously I can't say you're wrong or even disagree because there is no wrong answer here.

ScottyPrime

May 13, 2018
B does because Hasek could damn near do it by himself without any support at all. With that line up he'd have plenty.

member 157595

I know they’re not on the same line but imagine Mario ovi and jagr on the ice together. Jesus Christ

It would be literally impossible to get the puck from that line or to prevent high-danger scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad