Which Team Would Have Benefitted the Most From Taking the Player that Went 1 Pick Later?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
If the Oilers drafted Seguin instead of Hall, a lot of things could have played out differently.

A Center is as valuable as a Right Handed Dman.

We maybe could have likely gotten Seth Jones for Seguin or Draisaitl, instead of Nashville settling on RyJo.
Bruins fans would have been so pissed when Chia traded Hall for Larsson tho

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Bruins could have have had Scherbak; instead they picked Pastrnak. Bruins fans must wonder what could have been...

Reactions: Altimus

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
If the Oilers drafted Seguin instead of Hall, a lot of things could have played out differently.

We maybe could have likely gotten Seth Jones for Seguin or Draisaitl, instead of Nashville settling on RyJo.

Is Chia still trading Seguin? Not much would have went differently, I'm afraid. If Seguin was worth Seth Jones in Chiarelli's eyes, Seth Jones would be a Bruin.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
2010: Ryen Johansen instead of Gudbranson
2010: Kuznetsov instead of Howden
2010: Faulk instead of Petrovic
2010: Jarnkrok instead of Brickley

The Panthers drafted: 36g 108A 144pts and could have had 343g 670A 1013pts

That's how you screw up the start of your rebuild.

Didn’t think thst was that bad til I noticed it was all in the same draft.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

But then the trickle effect could have caused you to not get McDavid. :thumbd:

SaekkiPaelli

Oct 1, 2011
Nothing crazy for the Hawks, but here are a few:
2008: Kyle Beach before Tyler Myers
2011: Mark McNeil before Oscar Klefbom
2012: Teuvo Teravainen before Andre Vasilevskiy
2012: Travis Brown before Alexander Kerfoot

Is this a joke? The guy had 64 points last season and has 18 in 24 this season? Career: 168p in 302gp. I feel like that's a pretty good pick at 18th, and I thought these werem ore thought of as disaster instead of star picks.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Surely the Oilers reign supreme in this game? Let's see, and make later picks eligible too:

2017: Henri Jokiharju instead of Yamamoto (Jokiharju is currently the #2 D-man in Chicago alongside Duncan Keith)
2016: Pierre-Luc Dubois instead of Pulju
2016: Alex DeBrincat(!) instead of Tyler Benson
2016: Victor Mete instead of Markus Niemeläinen
2015: Markus Nutivaara instead of Caleb Jones
2014: Viktor Arvidsson instead of William Lagesson
2013 (The painnnnnnn...):
- Rasmus Ristolainen, Bo Horvat, Max Domi, or Alex Wennberg instead of Darn(ell) Nurse
2012 (Uh-oh...):
- Alex Galchenyk, Morgan Rielly, Matt Dumba, Filip-f*ing-Forsberg, instead of Nail Yakupov
2011 (mindblowing, amazing...):
- Brandon Saad(!), Boone Jenner instead of David Musil (total 2 GP to date)

tempofound

Oct 18, 2013
Whichever team picked before the 1989 Red Wings.

Best Draft by a single team of all time AINEC

Hartford Whalers

picked Blair Atchenyum over Nicklas Lidström
picked Jim McKenzie over Sergei Fedorov
picked John Battice over Vladimir Konstantinov

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
only one spot

lets look at the oilers last ten years starting in 2016 draft--I know this will be painful before I do it

2016 Took Pool Party next was Joulevi (oilers reportedly had Mikhail Sergachev name on a jersey but when when the BJS took Dubois--oilers took pool party--and no one say they would have done differently in the draft--Pool Party was universally ranked 3rd--BPA)
2015 Took Mcdavid Eichel next
2014 Took Leon D next pick was Sam Bennett
2013 took Nurse next pick was Ristoulainen--Nurse was taken over RR due to a physical aspect of the game RR has 100+ pts over Nurse
2012 Yakupov--please do not rewrite history 99/100 people had him number 1--that one person who didnt? Was Craig Mactavish who wanted the guy who went second Murray--Katz order Yak to be taken
2011 Nuge next taken Landeskog
2010 Hall next taken Seguin
2009 Magpie next taken Ryan Ellis
2008 Eberle next Tyler Cuma--okay fill in joke there
2007 Gagner next taken Jakub Voracek
2007 Alex PLante at 15 next taken Colten Gillies
2007 Riley Nash at 21 next taken Max Pacioretty

so lets see
LW
Landeskog
C
Eichel
Bennett
Seguin
RW
Voracek
Pacioretty
D
Sergachev
RR
Murray
Ellis

could you imagine a D like that

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
You always read these articles/post that look at re-drafting a top 10 or re-drafting the first round or in hindsight, the team at #4 overall should have taken the guy that went 55th overall who is now an all-star. Instead of that, it's pretty simple...since two guys that go back to back are generally thought of in similar regard in the draft (beyond the #1 elite prospects obviously), which team would currently benefit the most if they had drafted the player that went right after their actual selection? A couple off the hop:

2012 - Islanders take Reilly instead of Reinhart
2013 - Lightning take Jones instead of Drouin
2014 - Sabres take Leo instead of Reinhart
2015 - Arizona takes Marner over Strome, Bruins take Barzal instead of Senyshyn

lol, I’m quite fine with Reinhart over Leo...I’m not saying he’s better but Reinhart is really a high iq, non flashy, smart kind of cat. Two western hockey leaguers and Sam isn’t significantly far back of draisaitl. He quietly does a lot of things right I just don’t like how long it takes him to start playing last year it took three months this year it took a month.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Leafs would still be able to ice a decent lineup

Laine-Aho-Ehlers

Lindholm - Hanifin

Might be some others in the later rounds but those are the ones that immediately come to mind

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Ooof ... the Oilers really should just pick one lower than their pick from now on..

Landeskog- Eichel - Voracek
Bennett - Seguin - Radulov

Ryan Murray - Ristolainen

Oilers problem is asset management and development. These guys just as well could have flopped or been traded like the guys they picked. I don't think it's any coincidence Oilers 1st rounders under-achieve greatly. Hell I'd argue this is even true of McDavid.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs in 09 had some minor ones

Kenny Ryan right before Brian Dumoulin
Jamie Devane right in front of Reilly Smith
Eric Knodel two picks ahead of Mike Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->