Which team with home ice is most likely to lose in round 1?

Who's ripe to be 'upset'?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Definitely Florida. Tampa Bay are large favorites in that matchup.

After - Washington. It's not anything that Caps do bad - it's more about how good Boston is. No clear favorites, to me that's a 50/50 matchup.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers not an option?? Confirmed. The Oilers now cannot lose in round 1. Sorry Jets.

Answer is probably Oilers, Leafs, Caps.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Can we even consider there to be any home ice advantage for the Canadian teams? American teams are playing infront of full arenas with their fans. Canadian teams should honestly be excluded from this discussion unless we want to generalize it as which higher ranked team is most likely to lose.

Then you get into the debate of how can Florida really be considered a favourite over Tampa? Or the Penguins vs. NYI after last year? Or the Caps vs. Bruins? Dont consider a single one of those upsets.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
How is see it:

Higher seed is not favourite
Capitals, Panthers

Close serie
Penguins

Upset can happen
Knights, Avalanche

Hard to imagine upset
Leafs, Oilers, Canes

Reactions: DaveG and AyyLmao

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Toronto

History has shown again and again that this team sucks at playoff hockey

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't consider Florida the "favorite" even though they finished with more points than Tampa.

My vote would be one of the East match-ups, but that's similar to the above where that division was so close that I'd consider all the teams roughly on par.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Hard to pick Florida to win, as they've failed to advance past the first round since the 90s.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
In terms of most likely to lose in the first round:

1. Florida - great team but stuck facing the defending champs who will be getting 2 of their best players back healthy

2. Washington - still a very good team but a little banged up closing the season, Boston has looked really good post trade deadline

3. Pittsburgh - tough defensive style of the Islanders is built for the playoffs

4. Vegas - lack of high end centre depth, Minnesota is a feisty team that you do not want to meet right off the bat

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Toronto

they're also playing against the worst team in the Playoffs though, it'll be a pretty big chokejob if they don't at least make it past the first round this year they haven't really gone in as heavy favorites like this before

lot of tossups this year, and for my vote i'll echo the Florida sentiment where with the weird Kucherov situation a fairly compelling argument could be made that they aren't even the favored team in the series

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Toronto

I don't trust this Habs team. No gamebreaker, a lot of old guys, interim coach......... but because they're built for playoff hockey, somehow people expect Bergevin's team to make him look like a genius again

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don't trust this Habs team. No gamebreaker, a lot of old guys, interim coach......... but because they're built for playoff hockey, somehow people expect Bergevin's team to make him look like a genius again
I don’t trust them either, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the Leafs lost in round 1 again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad