Speculation: Which team will finish 2018-2019 DEAD Last?

Which team will finish 2018-2019 DEAD Last?

• Arizona Coyotes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicago Blackhawks

• Colorado Avalanche

• Detroit Redwings

• Other Team Not Listed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Threads about who'll win the Stanley Cup are common, but just for fun, with fewer than 30 games left, who do you predict will finish in the 2018-2019 NHL basement, and why?

I've cut the poll choices down to the bottom 10 NHL teams, currently separated by just 8 points, but I provided an "other" selection if you think another team may slide to the bottom.

Let's see who among us will win bragging rights as the Nostradamus of NHL misery.

STANDINGS THROUGH 02/07/2019

Last-Place-NHL.jpg

NOTE: This poll will close after 7 days, because we all hate HFBoards Poll cheats.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I went with Ottawa, just for the sheer amusement when they have to send that pick to Colorado.

It's a horrible situation, I really feel for their fans.

I dont think many posters here are old enough to remember this, but this same situation is precisely how the Devils landed future Hall of Fame defenseman Scott Niedermayer.

The Leafs thought they'd be a far better team than they were, and in 1989 Lou traded Tom Kurvers to Toronto for their #1 pick in 1991.

But Toronto ended-up stinking terribly, and the rest is New Jersey Devils history, taking Niedermayer at #3. If Toronto had sunk just a tad MORE in 1990, the Devils would have taken Eric Lindros at #1, and lord how hockey history would be different.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hard to say, but I'm gonna say it won't be the Devils, but I won't rule out a second to last place finish.

I said before the year started that I didn't think Ottawa would finish last, but that they'd finish bottom 3, maybe bottom 2, but that one more team would be worse than them, maybe two more teams.

I said before the season that Chicago was my dark horse pick to finish last. It looked like they might for a while, but they've been streaking lately.

I'd love for it to be the Panthers just to bust @Devils Dominion balls about it.

Anaheim and Colorado have been on quite the colossal collapse lately. Edmonton has lost quite a few games in some pretty disastrous ways recently.

If this was most years, Detroit would finish last just because Jimmy Howard hasn't been as good as he is this year in quite some time. The Jimmy Howard we've seen the better part of the last 6 years combined with the current Red Wings team would make them a pretty easy last place finish.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i didnt realize colorado dropped so far after their start. they could get 2 top 10 picks this year, damn

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don’t see any way it isn’t the sens, who will be plummeting even further after the TDL

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

I dont think many posters here are old enough to remember this, but this same situation is precisely how the Devils landed future Hall of Fame defenseman Scott Niedermayer.

The Leafs thought they'd be a far better team than they were, and in 1989 Lou traded Tom Kurvers to Toronto for their #1 pick in 1991.

But Toronto ended-up stinking terribly, and the rest is New Jersey Devils history, taking Niedermayer at #3. If Toronto had sunk just a tad MORE in 1990, the Devils would have taken Eric Lindros at #1, and lord how hockey history would be different.

Even funnier about that trade:

IIRC Toronto was competing with Quebec that year for worst team in the league. Knowing that we had their pick, Toronto actually traded for good players FROM QUEBEC so Quebec would get worse and get the #1 pick and Toronto wouldn't get roasted for trading the pick that became Lindros.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Even funnier about that trade:

IIRC Toronto was competing with Quebec that year for worst team in the league. Knowing that we had their pick, Toronto actually traded for good players FROM QUEBEC so Quebec would get worse and get the #1 pick and Toronto wouldn't get roasted for trading the pick that became Lindros.
I vaguely remember Toronto having an astounding record i the Patrick division too, since no-one there wanted to see the Devils with Lindros. I think they may have been over .500 against the division, with a record against other divisions so bad that they almost came in dead last.

Reactions: Aethon

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Don't know how anyone can look at Ottawa and laugh - I would probably be homicidal if I was a Sens fan and they won the draft lottery this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don't know how anyone can look at Ottawa and laugh - I would probably be homicidal if I was a Sens fan and they won the draft lottery this year.

They brought this mess on themselves, they traded Karlsson, Hoffman, etc in the off-season knowing full well they were coughing up a top pick as a result.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
The Avs could very well end up with two top 10 picks this year.

If they tank it, they COULD wind up with #1 and #2, although it would be one hell of a tank to accomplish that - or the lottery gods could step in and hand them the same.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Correct. Or at least that's the theory which I dont believe has ever been confirmed, but basically hockey in Toronto is like politics.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If they tank it, they COULD wind up with #1 and #2, although it would be one hell of a tank to accomplish that - or the lottery gods could step in and hand them the same.
There's no Sedin twins for them to pick up back to back this year like Vancouver had.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

would lindross even have wanted to play here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad