Which team takes the biggest step back this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
sure you can.

for example, the leafs advantage at C is every bit as big as Nashville's advantage on D.

and the Caps and Jets dcorps aren't even notably better than the leafs'.

Caps are a rare case. Even if you can say Jets DCorps weren't better, in terms of on-ice results, Jets were significantly better than the Leafs in generating and especially suppressing chances.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Caps are a rare case. Even if you can say Jets DCorps weren't better, in terms of on-ice results, Jets were significantly better than the Leafs in generating and especially suppressing chances.
Not really. Check out the cup winners D the 2 years prior.
Teams are winning cups with great centre depth/talent. Not stacked D.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

eh. leafs were much better generating chances.

TOR: 2.60xgf/60, 2.53xga/60, +50.7xgf%
WPG: 2.32xgf/60, 2.18xga/60, +51.5xgf%

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I remember the big thing was they were so healthy and that could not be repeated again (It was not and they were still better).
You have to ask yourself why the same team always is the #1 choice out of 31 teams?

you also have to ask yourself how a team can add john Tavares and then be "predicted" to take a bigger step back than any other team in the league.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
you also have to ask yourself how a team can add john Tavares and then be "predicted" to take a bigger step back than any other team in the league.
The big thing for me is hearing people act like Leo Komorov is a big loss. No one would even care about any other team losing a 4th liner, especially when they were bumped out of the lineup by the AHL playoff MVP and a player obviously younger, cheaper and superior. But it's a big deal for the Leafs only.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The big thing for me is hearing people act like Leo Komorov is a big loss. No one would even care about any other team losing a 4th liner, especially when they were bumped out of the lineup by the AHL playoff MVP and a player obviously younger, cheaper and superior. But it's a big deal for the Leafs only.

Leo is the obvious one, sure, given he's literally addition by subtraction.

but also remember that at no point in recent memory has any fan base on hf ever wanted their team to trade anything of any value for Bozak or JVR, either.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
eh. leafs were much better generating chances.

TOR: 2.60xgf/60, 2.53xga/60, +50.7xgf%
WPG: 2.32xgf/60, 2.18xga/60, +51.5xgf%

We still can't get an answer as to why a team described as having a horrible D can still have #'s like that and finish 3rd in GA in the East. Some say Freddy "Stood on his Head" (with average stats), some just don't give an answer.
Leafs D is very, very underrated.

Reactions: Garthinater

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well that was as stupid as I'd expect. How about a combination of metrics? Who they played with, the style of play, the eye test, their individual stats, etc, etc, etc

please share your "combination". we'd all love to see it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Washington will struggle to make the playoffs, Ovie takes a huge step back, doesnt crack 30 goals.

Boston's young D is going struggle with Chara declining really fast as the season progresses. Boston is a bubble team.

Vegas is going to be a bottom 10 team.

Lol..... I love how these are both sure fire facts in your world. Chara hasn't shown any signs of 'declining fast' yet, so until it happens, weak point.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
We still can't get an answer as to why a team described as having a horrible D can still have #'s like that and finish 3rd in GA in the East. Some say Freddy "Stood on his Head" (with average stats), some just don't give an answer.
Leafs D is very, very underrated.
Apart from this being your usual crap about how you're not getting answers (despite the fact that and I many others time and time again have given you answers after which you tend to not respond, disappear for a while, then come back and claim the same thing again), you should probably not use the stat that the Leafs had the 4th worst xGA/60 in the entire league when trying to argue that your D wasn't bad.

But since you asked: The Leafs had the 4th worst xGA/60 in the entire league because their D was bad. That's why a team described as having a horrible D can have #'s like that.

Oof.

Reactions: Kismet

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
How did I originally chime in about options? I replied to you because you brought it up lol and yes I am aware that is what you said, I never said any differently or suggested I disagreed with you there. Anyways this is getting stupid and it was a passing comment on something I don't really care that much about.
I see a :surrender

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
To me it's an evaluation of the fanbase expectations and how far expectations can fall off a best case scenario. I don't see any other team with as much potential to go both directions as Toronto.

I wouldn't see this as insulting to Leafs fans it's more like people are saying Toronto is the biggest wildcard right now?

it's insulting when people keep claiming the leafs are gonna be a worse team when they added John Tavares to their team for peanuts

I bet if the sharks added him everyone would be nutting over ir

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Apart from this being your usual crap about how you're not getting answers (despite the fact that and I many others time and time again have given you answers after which you tend to not respond, disappear for a while, then come back and claim the same thing again), you should probably not use the stat that the Leafs had the 4th worst xGA/60 in the entire league when trying to argue that your D wasn't bad.

But since you asked: The Leafs had the 4th worst xGA/60 in the entire league because their D was bad. That's why a team described as having a horrible D can have #'s like that.

Oof.

xga/60 5v5 / ES

TOR 2.45 / 2.46
WSH 2.44 / 2.45

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I remember the big thing was they were so healthy and that could not be repeated again (It was not and they were still better).
You have to ask yourself why the same team always is the #1 choice out of 31 teams?
Because everybody hates you.

At least that's the thinking amongst some Leafs fans.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Case in point.

Thanks.
Does it make you wonder why the same team is the most popular choice every year? I realize you want to keep the story that no one cares about the Leafs or hates them anymore than a team like the Coyotees, but it's understandable why Leaf fans would think this. This is becoming a summer tradition.
Why the the same team picked every year #1 for regression, especially after adding a franchise #1 C without giving up assets.
People clearly hate the Leafs more than any team. Not sure why people try so hard to deny this.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
xga/60 5v5

TOR 2.45
WSH 2.44
My numbers say 2.56. But yes, the Capitals D was remarkably bad during the regular season this year.

That wasn't what LeafFever was arguing though. The poster was (falsely) claiming that posters are going against statistics when saying that the Leafs' D was bad last year. While hilariously pointing to an absolutely dreadful xGA/60 as proof that their D wasn't bad.

I don't think the Leafs are likely to take the biggest step back next season. Or even a step back at all. I'm just tired of that poster throwing out the "3rd best GA in the East" stat and then claiming to not have been given quite solid numbers showing that the Leafs D was bad. This has got to be the at least 5th thread I'm having this discussion in this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad