• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Oilers lose this game in regulation Preds are one point back and with a game in hand and are OUTSIDE of a playoff spot. That's the reality right now that even with 2 shoddy losses the Oilers have pissed away any margin and its a dogfight night after night the rest of the way.

6 clubs are now in contention for the 2 Wild Card spots in the west. All of Minny, Chicago, Nashville have found themselves back into the race. Its like a peleton in a bike race working to gain gap on the opponents that jumped out early.

Its virtually guaranteed now that the season will come down to the last hand full of games and we still won't know if its a playoff spot or not.

The Oilers have had multiple pts in the season where they briefly sat in the catbird seat. They quite clearly don't like being up there. Its like this club refuses to do it the easier way.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone!!

My favorite day of the year (and I'm probably one of the only people in the states that even knows it exists).

Snacks are all set, and of course...

IMG-20200208-113837678.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tippet very quickly realizing that without McDavid, Kassian essentially doesn't belong in this league.

Nothing like two fringe NHLers with your best player.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Oilers lose this game in regulation Preds are one point back and with a game in hand and are OUTSIDE of a playoff spot. That's the reality right now that even with 2 shoddy losses the Oilers have pissed away any margin and its a dogfight night after night the rest of the way.

6 clubs are now in contention for the 2 Wild Card spots in the west. All of Minny, Chicago, Nashville have found themselves back into the race. Its like a peleton in a bike race working to gain gap on the opponents that jumped out early.

Its virtually guaranteed now that the season will come down to the last hand full of games and we still won't know if its a playoff spot or not.

The Oilers have had multiple pts in the season where they briefly sat in the catbird seat. They quite clearly don't like being up there. Its like this club refuses to do it the easier way.

The good news is that 4 of those 6 teams behind us are in the central division. We don't need to beat all of these teams out for a playoff spot. We really just need to beat out 2 of the Pacific teams still in the race and we've got games in hand on all of them. Thankfully the Oilers little 2 game slump has coincided with all the other Pacific teams slumping too.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

At the start of the year I didn’t expect us to even be in a playoff race at this point, so I’m just glad the games are meaningful. We are what we are - an average team, like about half the western conference teams. Every one of them looks like world beaters for a stretch, and then looks like a lottery team the next night. We fit right in there. Don’t have the talent or consistent work ethic to be above the middle of the pack at this point. Looking forward to the stretch run, but going in with the expectations that we really aren’t any better than the other 8 or so teams bunched with us, so expect crazy daily swings, both in the standings and in the mood of the fans in each of the cities. Should be fun!

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Tippett can kick pucks as much as he wants but he is culpable just as much as the players. It is almost like if you put an AHL player (Gagner) with Mcdavid it is going to limit his effectiveness who knew, right? I don't get why they don't just let Benson have a game with him to actually see what he is capable of. Imagine if he did the same thing to Yammo putting him on the 4th line with limited minutes would we have the amount of games won in that stretch? No. I'd rather get a long look of a young guy like Benson on a line with Mcdavid than a repeat of what everyone knows is going to happen when a guy like Gagner is put there.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Tippet very quickly realizing that without McDavid, Kassian essentially doesn't belong in this league.

Lol what?

He’s certainly an NHL player. He’d normally be playing in the bottom 6 though.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Tippett can kick pucks as much as he wants but he is culpable just as much as the players. It is almost like if you put an AHL player (Gagner) with Mcdavid it is going to limit his effectiveness who knew, right? I don't get why they don't just let Benson have a game with him to actually see what he is capable of. Imagine if he did the same thing to Yammo putting him on the 4th line with limited minutes would we have the amount of games won in that stretch? No. I'd rather get a long look of a young guy like Benson on a line with Mcdavid than a repeat of what everyone knows is going to happen when a guy like Gagner is put there.

I agree, Gagner should not be there at all.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Are you drunk? ;)

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

I don’t understand why Kassian having good chemistry with McDavid has suddenly become a negative thing .

Reactions: TB12

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The thing is everyone and their dog will say that and over value games at the end of the year when, if the oilers fail to make the playoffs it will be games in nov and dec that cost them. We have lost to the worst teams in the league teams off to bad starts, teams that have been on awful losing streaks. This team has just tossed away a good half dozen games vs the dregs of the league.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017
I have a love hate with Rob...actually more of a hate. He seems pretty arrogant

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I can't watch this one. Good news is they usually win when I don't watch so you guys feel free to thank me if they win tonight.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They have a better chance at top 3 in the division than the wild card. There's not one legit team in the Pacific outside of Vegas, it's a pile of mediocrity including the Oilers. If they finish behind 2 of Arizona, Calgary and Vancouver, that's an enormous failure.

If they put up another listless performance tonight, this could get ugly quick. The schedule the rest of the year is extremely difficult.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Every1 hating on Gagner while hes one of the only guys with 2G over recent stretch. His PPG in the last 2 seasons easily eclipses half our roster. Maybe we will have more depth scoring if we and Tippett admit that he is one of our top scoring options and at least keep him in the lineup on a nightly basis (Until Holland finally gets off his hands).

Having said that I would like to see Benson have a shot at a skill line, but as Tipp explained Yamo had 20 games under his belt when Tippett injected him into the lineup whilr that was literally Bensons first NHL game. Get Khaira or some other passengers on a plane and keep the guys with consistent results in positions to succeed.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017

Dramatic...stop drinking the soy.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone!!

My favorite day of the year (and I'm probably one of the only people in the states that even knows it exists).

Snacks are all set, and of course...

IMG-20200208-113837678.jpg

Man, I hate Hockey Day in Canada.

It seems like I keep getting dust in my eyes or someone is cutting onions around here. Stop it!

Actually don’t, these are heartwarming stories about good Canadians who embrace this game for all the right reasons. But I may not be able to take many more stories...

Reactions: TB12 and ElysiumAB

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don’t understand why Kassian having good chemistry with McDavid has suddenly become a negative thing .

Or why Kassian all of a sudden "doesn't belong in the league if it wasn't for McDavid" because of a slump.

With that said, he has been really bad the last several games, like beginning of last season bad. They need him to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad