Which team now faces more pressure?

Which team now faces more pressure in Round 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
This might seem like a silly question, but indulge me for a moment.

A. Are the Columbus Blue Jackets now playing with a big pile of house money ? Can they look back at the end of Round 1 with some satisfaction regardless of what happens in Games 3 and beyond?

OR

B. Since everybody remembers what happened last year against Washington and what has happened in Games#1-2 this year, do the Lightning now face no pressure whatsoever, knowing that Columbus has just stuck their head in the noose?

As always when I post a poll, I'm interested in your answer, but really want to hear how you are looking at this and what you are thinking.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Easy. The Lightning. The team everyone picked to win. If they do come back to win, nobody would really be able to fault the Jackets for it, as they are supposedly one of the greatest teams ever assembled. If the Jackets lose, it would be simply “yup, the lightning were better and just needed a mindset change”.

If the Jackets win, the Lightning will go down as bigger chokers than the Caps ever were.

The pressure is off the Jackets. The only pressure I could see them feeling is of keeping it up at home.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
You cant have an all time season and also have your own playoff failures while losing 2 at home and not face an absolutely ridiculous amount of pressure
Yeah Columbus has pressure to win a series with their history, deadline deals and with the UFAs but I dont think its anything to what Tampa is facing.
CBJ looked like they came in feeling the pressure but once they realized they belonged they look loose and finally A) made adjustments and have a system that works and the team has bought into B) Found balance in their game instead of just running around looking for hits. Infact they have made Tampa chase the game in that way thus far

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Clearly Tampa and they are feeling it already with their frustration. CBJ have nothing to lose. Nobody thought they could win this series. I heard the hockey media talk about game 1 like it was a miracle how it happened. Then on Friday morning it became "Well, I picked Columbus to win 1 game in this series, I just didn't know it would be the first one"

Now the team that seems to have been anointed the greatest thing since the 80's Edmonton Oilers teams has a big hole to dig out of and probably need to do it with the future Hart Trophy winner missing at least 1 game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tampa Bay because if they lose again its 3-0. If TB wins Game 3 I think it shifts slightly to the Jackets as memories of last year begin to creep in although Tampa still has to win Game 4 to completely switch the pressure meter.

Reactions: Madifer

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Lets be honest, there is plenty of pressure on the CBJ.
  • Jarmo went all-in at the TDL
  • the organization is still the only team in the league to never win a playoff series
  • Up 2-0 on the road for two straight years and last year's demise is well documented for CBJ fans
  • Organization needs a win if they are ever truly going to be embraced by the city
  • Bobs and Bread are playing their swan songs in Columbus, the team might be playoff contenders next season but they will not likely be this talented in the next few years
  • CBJ FANS NEED THIS
That said,
  • the Bolts are arguably the most dominant regular season President's Trophy winners the league has ever seen. The gap between #1 and #2 is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
  • Art Ross Trophy winner
  • Possible Norris Trophy winner
  • Possible Vezina Trophy winner
  • Three 40 goal scorers, their team +/- is insane
  • #1 PK & PP during regular season
If the Bolts lose in the first round it will go down as one of the biggest upsets in NHL history. People will be laughing at them for this collapse for years. Both organizations have plenty at stake riding on this series but almost nobody expected us to win this series...almost everyone expected the Bolts to blow us out and win the series in three games.

More pressure on Bolts.

Reactions: teddyli

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Tampa had more pressure at the start, and that's just increased with every passing minute.

This may change a little if they win game 3, but even if they go back to Tampa 2-2 I don't think they will be very comfortable.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think it's still the Lightning but having won the first 2, Columbus has heaped a pile of pressure on themselves as well.

Should be a great finish to the series.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The front office of the CBJ (and not necessarily Torts) has as much pressure on it as the Lightning do. The players don't. The suits don't play the game, the players do. So, for me, the practical answer is that Tampa does.

That's not to say that the CBJ don't have a great deal of pressure on them. The core hasn't won a playoff series and most have been here for a while. The CBJ still have the "we're young" excuse-which is just that, but some people buy into it. But they also would face the "choker" label if they blew consecutive 2-0 leads with games 3,4 and 6 at home.

I'll still say that the majority of pressure is on the Dolts.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Each share some. TB because of their position as the best regular season team and CBJ because of the lack of playoff success and last year's first round debacle. Right now CBJ is a looser squad.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Tampa Bay because if they lose again its 3-0. If TB wins Game 3 I think it shifts slightly to the Jackets as memories of last year begin to creep in although Tampa still has to win Game 4 to completely switch the pressure meter.

This

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It’s Tampa right now but could shift to CBJ depending on result of game 3.

Fans, media an whomever else outside the team can suggest CBJ is playing with house money, but if you think inside the room they don’t want or expect to win...

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tougher question than it appears. TB was expected to romp and now in a hole that makes these next two games must win. For the Jackets there’s likely ghosts of last year. But in the end, the expectation of the hockey world makes them like Atlas and thus carrying greater pressure.

As an aside I hope we can avoid any feeling of pressure as I think that’s our greatest potential obstacle.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Tampa has more pressure because of the expectations but they are also the better team, so the pressure can flip to Columbus quickly with a win.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Play a heavy game.. skate with the puck, put shots on net. Clog the neutral zone and do not let them complete the bomb outlets. We have done pretty well slowing that down but I think our scorers need to put this one away. We have 9 goals from 9 different people. If Bread, Cam, Duch, or Bjork can explode Nationwide is going to come apart from the crowd noise. Show up and bring your A game 5th line!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad