Which team is better - current Sabres or original drafted Sabres?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
There's a thread on the main forum where the OP asks for your team's roster made of current NHL players you originally drafted.

Which team is better right now?

Vanek - Eichel - Pominville
Foligno - Reinhart - Ennis
Grigorenko - Girgensons - Armia
Kassian - Byron - Stafford

Ristolainen - Campbell
Myers - Sekera
McCabe - Pysyk
McNabb - Zadorov

Miller
Enroth

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=127523393

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Kinda weird to have:

Pominville and the guy the drafted with the pick they got for him, Zadorov
Same story with Campbell and Ennis.

Edit: Same story with Byron and McCabe actually.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That team is better than ours. That defense alone would have us in the playoffs.

Eh. Defense is better, but the forwards are a lot weaker. Ennis, Pominville and Foligno as three of your top six wingers is brutal. I'm guessing that team's in a similar spot to what the current roster is. You'd also need Miller to play 60+ games since you have no backup.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Eh. Defense is better, but the forwards are a lot weaker. Ennis, Pominville and Foligno as three of your top six wingers is brutal. I'm guessing that team's in a similar spot to what the current roster is. You'd also need Miller to play 60+ games since you have no backup.

Foligno/Poms is no worse than Foligno/Gionta, Enroth no worse than Nilsson

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
What?

Nilsson has a .923 Save% this year and Enroth is at 0.872 and has been waived to the AHL this year.

Their career stats are pretty much the same. Goaltenders are plug and play most of the time.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
No ROR = not a better team

The Sabres also would not have Ennis as he was drafted with the pick that sent Campbell to the Sharks.

Same with Zadorov that someone else mentioned

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Foligno/Gionta aren't in our top six, so yes, Foligno/Pominville is worse. And Enroth is worse than Nilsson.

Statistics and observation don't bear out the latter, and there isn't really a "top six" to speak of. They're #6 and #8 in EVTOI/G among forwards, though. If you'd rather I swap out Lars for Gionta that's fine.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
No ROR = not a better team

The Sabres also would not have Ennis as he was drafted with the pick that sent Campbell to the Sharks.

Same with Zadorov that someone else mentioned

They probably wouldn't have Eichel with a defense like that, either.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Statistics and observation don't bear out the latter, and there isn't really a "top six" to speak of. They're #6 and #8 in EVTOI/G among forwards, though. If you'd rather I swap out Lars for Gionta that's fine.

They do, though. Which is why Enroth is in the minors.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
They do, though. Which is why Enroth is in the minors.

As were Bailey/Baptiste/Carrier, while D-Lo and Grant got shifts here. C'mon.

Nils averaged under a .900 for his only two meaningful years of starts before his stop here. He's garbo in a good situation.

e:

Last three years:

Enroth: 35 g, .908 sv%
Nils: 48 g, .902 sv%

Hell, I'm pretty sure Enroth outperforms him on average in the NHL and AHL over their respective careers. Add that to their respective international careers representing the same country and you've got at the very least two comparable players.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As were Bailey/Baptiste/Carrier, while D-Lo and Grant got shifts here. C'mon.

Nils averaged under a .900 for his only two meaningful years of starts before his stop here. He's garbo in a good situation.

e:

Last three years:

Enroth: 35 g, .908 sv%
Nils: 48 g, .902 sv%

Hell, I'm pretty sure Enroth outperforms him on average in the NHL and AHL over their respective careers. Add that to their respective international careers representing the same country and you've got at the very least two comparable players.

The question in the OP is which roster was better right now.

Nilsson is better than Enroth right now.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
The question in the OP is which roster was better right now.

Nilsson is better than Enroth right now.
As I mentioned in another thread, it's impossible to compare just by looking at their respective career numbers, as any goalie's SVS% will be affected by the team around him. Nilsson has never played (starting games) in a team where the other goalies had a .92 season the same year. Best ever is .917. To get a .915 career in those conditions, you almost need to be Carey Price.

With that said, I think they're pretty even, but with totally different styles that may suit the D's and the system better or worse. Enroth is extremely agile, but don't cover the net as well eg. when having shots from the blue line deflecting in traffic. For most cases, I'd say Nilsson is the better choice, but if every game is a tie and you need to play overtime and shootout, Enroth would probably be among the best in the league...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'll take The Ruff coached team(Since Ruff was Drafted by Buffalo :laugh: ) over the Bylsma team. At least I can get a coherent system to watch Reinhart and Eichel play in.

It was a tough one with ROR being on the roster, but the defense overall and the coaching from the all-draft team makes me lean that way.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There's a thread on the main forum where the OP asks for your team's roster made of current NHL players you originally drafted.

Which team is better right now?

Vanek - Eichel - Pominville
Foligno - Reinhart - Ennis
Grigorenko - Girgensons - Armia
Kassian - Byron - Stafford

Ristolainen - Campbell
Myers - Sekera
McCabe - Pysyk
McNabb - Zadorov

Miller
Enroth

Campbell became Ennis in a trade
Pominville became Zadorov in a ttrade
Gaustead became Girgengons
Regher trade trade got McCabe (drafted with Calgary pick)
Myers was technically a pick from LA in a trade up.

I dont recall---Pominville or Roy was an acquired pick

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Campbell became Ennis in a trade
Pominville became Zadorov in a ttrade
Gaustead became Girgengons
Regher trade trade got McCabe (drafted with Calgary pick)
Myers was technically a pick from LA in a trade up.

I dont recall---Pominville or Roy was an acquired pick

Roy was the pick we got with Gratton from TB. It was Gratton and a 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad