Which team has the best goaltender prospect depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not gonna say Vancouver's the best, but I'll toss them out there as a favorite:

Julien Ellis-Plante
Cory Schneider
Alex Auld
Alexandre Vincent

All slated to have NHL potential; Mike Minard (if he's still with the organization) and Matt Violin as solid AHL goaltenders.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
kmad said:
I'm not gonna say Vancouver's the best, but I'll toss them out there as a favorite:

Julien Ellis-Plante
Cory Schneider
Alex Auld
Alexandre Vincent

All slated to have NHL potential; Mike Minard (if he's still with the organization) and Matt Violin as solid AHL goaltenders.

I think the Habs have assembled good prospect depth in goal:

Danis
Price
Halak
Heino-Lindberg

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am not saying New Jersey is the best because a year ago we may have been the worst in the league but we have improved since then.

Ahonen
Frazee
Clemmensen
Disher
Slade
Doyle
Smith

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Rangers have to make every top 5 list

Lundqvist
Montoya
Holt

People naming career minor league goalies and longshot backup NHL goalies doesnt really say much.

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
NYR:

-Al Montoya
-Henrik Lundqvist
-Chris Holt
-Steven Valiquette (sp?)
-Johan Asplund (don't know anything about him, only know he's in Rangers)
*Dan Blackburn -- could've been a great goalie, sad that a freak accident will probably cause him to retire at such a young age. :(

acr*

Boston has to be at least top three

Raycroft
Toivonen
Sigalet
Brown
Kaltiainen
Regan
Thomas

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'd say the predators are up there because, even though I don't particularly like the franchise, any team with Brian Finley and Teemu Lassila as # 3 and #4 on the depth chart is pretty strong indeed.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
ftyutin51 said:
NYR:

-Al Montoya
-Henrik Lundqvist
-Chris Holt
-Steven Valiquette (sp?)
-Johan Asplund (don't know anything about him, only know he's in Rangers)
*Dan Blackburn -- could've been a great goalie, sad that a freak accident will probably cause him to retire at such a young age. :(

Valiquette isnt a Ranger anymore.......

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tjardus Greidanus said:
[Insert Favorite Team Name Here] obviously, by far...
What? I never watch Nashville, but indicated them.

I'm a huge Canucks fan, but I think our goaltending depth stinks as usual. Even our is awful. Auld is the only one I have any faith in, and even then... little.

This is HFBoards... many of us are hockey fans first, homers second.

No need to undermine our judgements.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
VanIslander said:

I'm a huge Canucks fan, but I think our goaltending depth stinks as usual. Even our is awful. Auld is the only one I have any faith in, and even then... little.

You're crazy. Go look at the canuck's prospect depth first.

Schneider
Ellis
Vincent
Then comes in Auld.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd say the Canes have a very impressive group of goalie prospects. Thrashers, boston and rangers as well. I am not sure what the flyers are doing with some of their goalies, but they had some very impressive depth in nets.

Of course my homer vote goes to the Habs.

Price I'm not sold on yet since I haven't seen him enough, but in the games I've seen he has been good at times and not so good other times. But he had a heck of a season with Tri Cities, stats wise. Should be a very tough year for him though, since from what I understand their defense is going to be in bad shape this year.

Danis I am a huge fan of. Because he played a Brown (a school rarely shown on national tv) I believe not too many people outside of ECAC fans got to see much of him. He was outstanding in the NCAA on an average team. In Hamilton he could have been named their MVP and he was one of the top 3 rookie goalies in the AHL this year. His size is a bit of a concern, but the guy is like a robot out there, always in very good position. I honestly don't like the fact that he will be in the NHL this year, cause it could hurt his confidence if he has trouble but we'll have to see how he does.

Henio-Lindberg I would think most people not from Sweden would have seen him play other then his tough outing at the wjc's. I have high hopes for him, though he was the most impressive goalie at the Habs development camp last summer, hope he does well in the SEL this year after a very strong year in the tier-2 league as a 19 year old, very impressive stats.

Halak is tougher to get a read on since he plays deep in his net and is on the short side, plus his style is at times hard to watch but he makes the saves. I liked what I saw from him at Lewiston this year and he could see a chunk of time with Hamilton this year as a rookie in his 2nd season in North America.

Lacasse and Michaud are more likely to be ECHL goalies, and I believe we lost the rights to Tarasov and Puurula since they were drafted prior to '02.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
New York and Montreal are two that jump to mind

For a team that usually drafts pretty well, Anaheim as terrible depth in goal.
San Jose's goalie prospects are probably in the bottom tier of the league.

Dimitri Pätzold
Nolan Schaefer
Thomas Greiss
Patrick Ehelechner
Jason Churchill
Alex Stalock
Taylor Dakers
Brian Mahoney-Wilson
Derek MacIntyre

While the Sharks could quite possibly develop some of them into elite goaltenders like Nabakov and Kipprusoff, they don't have a Price or a Monotya; a goalie prospect that clearly has a very high upside. IMO, Greiss is the only prospect with a chance as a starter. Patzold, Dakers, Stalock, and Ehelechner both project to be excellent backups, but with the surfeit of quality goaltenders in the NHL, most, if not all of them will probably never play regularly in the NHL.

If Warren Strelow can get back on his feet, or if his Wayne Thomas can take his role as Sharks goaltending coach, I wouldn't be surprised to see these goalies' stocks rise quite a bit.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
VanIslander said:

I usually agree with you..but based on potential alone, Auld is our worst goalie prospect.

I am very content with what we have coming up the pipeline.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pittsburgh doesn't have the best, but has fine depth :
1- Fleury
2- Duba
3- Chiodo
4- Goepfert
5- Crawford-West
6- D. Brown
7- Lehto

Nothing earth shattering behind Fleury, but a nice, deep pool with good potential (especially Duba).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Evilo said:
Pittsburgh doesn't have the best, but has fine depth :
1- Fleury
2- Duba
3- Chiodo
4- Goepfert
5- Crawford-West
6- D. Brown
7- Lehto

Nothing earth shattering behind Fleury, but a nice, deep pool with good potential (especially Duba).
I'd put Chiodo and Goepfert ahead of Duba because he is a greedy sucker who might choose to play in russia if it gives more money than playing in a backup role in the NHL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad