Speculation: Which team could boost Tomas Tatar?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
These kind of statements are so childish. How does trading Tatar change our "mid-round" pick status? Habs are deep on wingers. Trading Tatar won't result in the Habs plumetting to bottom 10 in the league. As for our mid-round pick - we are quite happy with Cole Caufield.

Habs are better off reaping the benefits of Tatar next season then deciding what to do near TDL next year.
Caufield is not the norm in the middle of the first round. Tarasenko got drafted at 16 in his draft year too. You don’t cite the anomaly you cite the trend.

Reactions: Wats

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Except, there is value in holding onto him for next season as he is an integral part of our top line. And if things are not working out for the Habs then trade him at the TDL next year for possibly a lesser return than this year. The Habs are loaded with top-end prospects and picks. They are not starved for late 1st round picks.

But as you say, if there is an overpayment, then of course MB will pull the trigger.

Which prospects are you referring to? Outside of Caulfield and Romanov the MTL pool looks underwhelming for a team that has made the playoffs just once in the past 5 years.

Reactions: Wats

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Which prospects are you referring to? Outside of Caulfield and Romanov the MTL pool looks underwhelming for a team that has made the playoffs just once in the past 5 years.

Referring to prospects and young players like Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield, Brook, Fleury and Primeau. Habs pool of young players is pretty solid. Adding late first won't change that significantly. And with Tatar, he could be traded next TDL if necessary.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
There were rumors about Pens (after last trade it is not anymore doable) and Oilers (still open).

But maybe there will jump another team with interesting offer for Canadians. Who could use Tatar at best?

I thought everyone agreed he wasn't worth the 2 1st round picks that not fans want and that all other fan base won't pay

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Montreal could

So not true. Rutherford said that when he asked Montreal for Tatar he was told that he was simply unavailable so he didn’t bother making an offer. If you’re going to troll at least do it with proper information

Wow really? That package would have been amazing...oh well.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Caufield is not the norm in the middle of the first round. Tarasenko got drafted at 16 in his draft year too. You don’t cite the anomaly you cite the trend.

So what are you saying? Trading Tatar will make the difference between drafting Lafrenier / Byfield vs a mid-1st round pick? Tatar is valuable to the team and productive but not the difference between the Habs tanking to a bottom 10 pick, especially with Drouin back and Byron soon to return. If anything, Weber will have an impact with his absense.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So what are you saying? Trading Tatar will make the difference between drafting Lafrenier / Byfield vs a mid-1st round pick? Tatar is valuable to the team and productive but not the difference between the Habs tanking to a bottom 10 pick, especially with Drouin back and Byron soon to return. If anything, Weber will have an impact with his absense.

Literally nobody is saying that you're going to get Lafreniere or Byfield if you trade Tatar, however making this move will obviously increase your chance of getting one of those guys.
Also Paul Byron is hot garbage for what hes being paid to do, and the impact that Webers absence will leave is that the habs will be bleeding goals against like no tomorrow because their D is a gong show without him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pott
Montreal could

So not true. Rutherford said that when he asked Montreal for Tatar he was told that he was simply unavailable so he didn’t bother making an offer. If you’re going to troll at least do it with proper information[/QUOT
Pittsburgh indentifed zucker as their target. Tatar probably wasnt wven top 3 on their backup list. Its buyer beware with him and every team knows that. GM Rutherford made the right choice

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Literally nobody is saying that you're going to get Lafreniere or Byfield if you trade Tatar, however making this move will obviously increase your chance of getting one of those guys.
Also Paul Byron is hot garbage for what hes being paid to do, and the impact that Webers absence will leave is that the habs will be bleeding goals against like no tomorrow because their D is a gong show without him.

Paul Byron is hot garbage for bringing close to 0.5PPG offense while our best PKer? You are absolutely clueless as to the Habs players.

Trading Tatar now makes sense if the Habs get their quote. Otherwise, it makes sense to keep him for next season and re-evaluate at TDL. Thinking his departure would result in the Habs plummetting in the standings is short-sighted and lacking. Especially with Drouin and Byron returning to the fold to offset what he brings.

About the only thing you actually understand is Weber's impact on the Habs. His absence will hurt and could result in the Habs plumetting.

So in closing, your lack of understanding of the Habs situation, players and needs is clear.

Habs have the luxury of holding onto Tatar.

Mic Drop!

Reactions: Vachon23

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Are you being dense on purpose? You don’t see the benefit of trading Tatar?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Are you being dense on purpose? You don’t see the benefit of trading Tatar?

Are you being obtuse on purpose? You don't see the benefit of holding onto him, reaping the benefits of his productive play and chemistry with Gallagher/Danault next season, and then having the option to trade him for good value next year?

I mean, sure, if MB gets his quote then obviously he would be open to trading Tatar. That quote being a 1st + Cayden Addison type of prospect (with capdump). Otherwise, MB is happy to hold onto him. That's the luxury of term on this contract.

You do understand what that means right? An extra year on his contract?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Are you being obtuse on purpose? You don't see the benefit of holding onto him, reaping the benefits of his productive play and chemistry with Gallagher/Danault next season, and then having the option to trade him for good value next year?

I mean, sure, if MB gets his quote then obviously he would be open to trading Tatar. That quote being a 1st + Cayden Addison type of prospect (with capdump). Otherwise, MB is happy to hold onto him. That's the luxury of term on this contract.

You do understand what that means right? An extra year on his contract?
Considering how old Tatar is and the contract he’s going to ask for when Danault, Gallagher and other players need new contracts, I don’t keep Tatar past next year when he’s in his 30s. Therefore, I start looking to move him now.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Considering how old Tatar is and the contract he’s going to ask for when Danault, Gallagher and other players need new contracts, I don’t keep Tatar past next year when he’s in his 30s. Therefore, I start looking to move him now.

Or... you move him next TDL, before his contract expires and reap the benefits of his production and chemistry with Danault / Gallagher. That is the beauty of the extra year on his contract. Win - Win.

I am not advocating re-signing him as of this point in time.

Reactions: Vachon23

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Or... you move him next TDL, before his contract expires and reap the benefits of his production and chemistry with Danault / Gallagher. That is the beauty of the extra year on his contract. Win - Win.

I am not advocating re-signing him as of this point in time.
Reap the benefits for what!? You get more for him now than what you would get next year and YOU’RE NOT GOING TO WIN ANYTHING BY NEXT YEAR ANYWAYS!!! So get more for him when his price is higher.

Jeez all these people who want to try to compete next year have no idea what it takes to actually be successful in the playoffs. No other team in the NHL worth anything has 5 out of their top 6 forwards under 6 feet. There’s no point competing with this team without a massive overhaul. So again, keep Tatar one more year FOR WHAT!?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Reap the benefits for what!? You get more for him now than what you would get next year and YOU’RE NOT GOING TO WIN ANYTHING BY NEXT YEAR ANYWAYS!!! So get more for him when his price is higher.

Jeez all these people who want to try to compete next year have no idea what it takes to actually be successful in the playoffs. No other team in the NHL worth anything has 5 out of their top 6 forwards under 6 feet. There’s no point competing with this team without a massive overhaul. So again, keep Tatar one more year FOR WHAT!?

What do you think he can get next year at the TDL? If Pageau can get a 1st with an expiring contract, there is a good chance Tatar could when producing at a 70 pt pace.

Its obvious you don't watch the Habs. If you did, you would notice that Tatar's chemistry with Gally and Danault is undeniable and a key to Danault's continued development and increase in production. So you can keep Tatar for another year and hopefully compete for a playoff spot.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gallagher is our best player. Tatar has out-produced him this year, but let's not kid ourselves.

I'd love to move Tatar for futures because this team isn't competing over the next couple seasons.
Tatar, Gallagher, Petry are all up for new contracts next year. I imagine two of them will go. Maybe Domi also if he signs 1 year deal this summer. Gallagher will get huge increase.

Reactions: Gravity

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tatar, Gallagher, Petry are all up for new contracts next year. I imagine two of them will go. Maybe Domi also if he signs 1 year deal this summer. Gallagher will get huge increase.

Or may Gally signs another team friendly contract, Tatar is traded for value and Domi signs a 8 year contract at a discount.

I imagine, it will be somewhere between what you predicted and the above. ;)

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
What do you think he can get next year at the TDL? If Pageau can get a 1st with an expiring contract, there is a good chance Tatar could when producing at a 70 pt pace.

Its obvious you don't watch the Habs. If you did, you would notice that Tatar's chemistry with Gally and Danault is undeniable and a key to Danault's continued development and increase in production. So you can keep Tatar for another year and hopefully compete for a playoff spot.
Your last sentence is all I need to know. There’s zero point for this team to compete for a playoff spot because they have none of the pieces necessary to be successful in the playoffs. I’ve seen the chemistry between Tatar and his line mates, but personally it makes zero difference to me until this team is ready to actually compete for the Cup. Otherwise where does the excitement of the playoffs come from if there’s zero chance of winning: nowhere.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I think i take MB at his word that Tatar is not available this TDL. He's integral to our top point producing line and a perfect fit. No need to trade him. If by this time next year the Habs are out of playoff contention, then is when you trade him.

He was not actively trading Subban either... always take what a GM says to the media with a grain of salt... otherwise you are just naive.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was not actively trading Subban either... always take what a GM says to the media with a grain of salt... otherwise you are just naive.

True, but in this situation i take him at his word because he has another year and another opportunity to trade him. If he was a UFA at the end of the season i would be calling BS.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

You just don't let trade your veteran core; Gallagher and Petry will be here, Domi and Tartar can be had for the right price.
Domi's decision making on his passes and hitting the net with his shot have been abysmal this year.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The Habs have one of the top prospect pools in the league.
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31

Prospect Pool Rankings

Montreal Canadiens score highest in Craig Button's Off-Season Prospect Pool Ranking - TSN.ca

Do i need to go on?

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Why isn't Caufield the norm in the middle of the first round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad