Which spot would Girard take on your team's defense?

Girard on my team would be a... ?

• Total voters

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
behind Hedman, then he'd be right in the tier with McDonagh Sergachev and Cernak. I'll put him a little above those guys though so #2.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Probably #1 on Leafs; Brodie and he would make a strong pair. Have to vehemently disagree that Rielly or Muzzin are better. Brodie is close but because of age Girard is easily the guy moving forward

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lol by watching him play?

You have a funny idea of backfiring considering last thread was closed to due to lopsided results. Even the poll on the avs board didn't work out so well since some fanboys wanted their righteous beliefs to be completely unanimous.

I know Whitecloud has been good but has Hague really been that bad?

Of course it was lopsided, because you had overtly stack the deck to make it happen, which is evident by half the responses being confused why the question was even being asked and how silly it was. I could do similarly irrelevant exercise with a Mack vs Rant Poll. Doesn't mean Rant is bad/expendable when he gets stomped in the results...

Haha, if watching him play gave you the idea "Kerfoot on defense" is a legitimate assertion, I'd recommend plugging the TV in before watching it. I honestly can't recall seeing a fan make multiple polls trying to downgrade a player on the team they like.

What were these righteous beliefs? The last poll had a few people coming in and calling you out for changing the discussion and that it had to do with Girard being expendable. Given the balance of votes is #2 defenseman across most teams, how does this prove he is expendable? Teams usually get a lot worse when they lose a top 1-2 D man, so those guys aren't expendable.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Right now he’d be #2/3 tied with Trouba who’s been great this season. K’Andre has potential to surpass him. Lindgren is better defensively but doesn’t have the transition or offensive game to keep up with Girard’s.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I didn't stack nothing, Girards fans were the ones saying he was third most important to the team behind Mackinnon and Makar. Most of the fans voting are from the north division so it's no surprise that Girard would be higher on their team. I don't see how he's better than Toews who's better defensively in every way.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
#2 maybe #1
Only person ahead of him I’d say is Rielly. Guys a stud on another steal of a deal. I wonder how Colorado gets so many of those?

#2 behind Morgan Rielly

If he can play the right side our top 4 would be disgusting

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Girard

It's really good right now with Holl but the jump from Holl to Girard would be insane

Kinda hard to pinpoint where he would be exactly, but I have a hard time seeing him being more valuable to us than Brodie. Rielly is the only obvious one, and Muzzin is hard to say since they are very different.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Colorado, Vegas, Carolina and Columbus are the only teams where he’d be less than a #2 I’m pretty sure. He’s pretty comfortably a top 30D in the NHL with plenty of argument in the 18-25 range.
He could be anywhere from 2 to 4 on Nashville or Minnesota. Could also be #3 on Tampa, Toronto, Florida, and Edmonton.

Last edited:

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
It’s abundantly clear that people didn’t see him play when Makar was out. He clearly would get a lot more attention if Makar wasn’t on this team.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He would be our second best defenseman, although if we acquired him, there would be no reason not to keep Lindgren-Fox together and load up the second pair with Girard. I think Girard-Trouba would work nicely.

Voted #2.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d say 4 behind Reilly, Brodie and Muzzin

If Girard is a teams 4th best D-man, then that ought to be the best D-corps in the league. Instead the Leafs are pretty much average.

I think more accurately Girard would at the very least be in a tie with the players you mentioned - if you said they were all good #2D.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
If Girard is a teams 4th best D-man, then that ought to be the best D-corps in the league. Instead the Leafs are pretty much average.

I think more accurately Girard would at the very least be in a tie with the players you mentioned - if you said they were all good #2D.
He's definitely ahead of Muzzin. The other two are debatable. Wouldn't take him over Rielly at the top of his game.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He could be anywhere from 2 to 4 on Nashville or Minnesota. Could also be #3 on Tampa, Toronto, Florida, and Edmonton.
Only D of the Wilds current top 4 id have him ahead of for sure is Dumba. I'd likely have him ahead of Suter as well at this point.

So I'll say 3.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For the Canucks...he'd be on the "not Quin Hughes pairing". So, de facto "2nd pairing" probably. "Top-3D". But in reality, it'd probably be more or less a wash in minutes at the end of the day. With Hughes, Girard, and Schmidt not exactly being a biggun', that'd be a pretty darn small Top-4D though. So if Girard were with the Canucks...have to think they'd be shopping someone around trying to move a piece for a bit of a different mix.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I said #3 behind Letang and Dumoulin more so because those two are a good pairing together and complement each other's strengths/weaknesses, so Girard would be playing on the "2nd" pairing due to that.

In terms of talent/ability, he'd be behind Letang only as the #2.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

As an Oiler fan, close to 0% chance hes a 3. The only guy who challenges for second is pre-repaired shoulder Klefbom. Given he is on the fence about never playing again, it's Girard.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
offensively yes. but i would take Brodie and his elite defensive ability over Girard, at least on the Leafs. its hard to compare the 2.
I would say Girard is probably better defensively as well. Overall Girard is the better player at every aspect of the game though except for maybe outright defense purely due to size.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I said #3 behind Letang and Dumoulin more so because those two are a good pairing together and complement each other's strengths/weaknesses, so Girard would be playing on the "2nd" pairing due to that.

In terms of talent/ability, he'd be behind Letang only as the #2.

Kinda how I feel about him on the Kings. Ability-wise clearly #2 behind DD, but would probably put him as our #3 to make a sick pairing with Roy.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad