Salary Cap: Which soon to be UFA d-man will be here next season?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Smid ufa earning 2.25
Whitney 4.00
Sutton 1.75 (could be done)
Fistic 1.45

Oilers have a few d-men in the system who could be regulars in as little as three years
Klefbom
Musil
marincin
Teubert

we have 9 guys (including Sutton) on the roster who play D

Of the UFA players--who will be back next season

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
Smid better be here for sure. IMO, he is our best (proven) defenseman right now, and our best bet at a shutdown guy.

Whitney needs to be given a season to show he can still play at a Top 4 level while staying healthy, because if he can't, then there is no point to keep him with J. Schultz and Petry here too.

Fistric will be determined at the end of the season as well, once we see him play and see if he actually is an improvement over Peckham.

Sutton, I fully expect to retire, and don't see him playing anymore.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smid I can't see going anywhere.

Fistic and Whitney probably are both here, it's really up to them to prove they can do what the Oilers expect out of them. If healthy there is no reason Whitney can't make roughly 3mil and play a 2nd pairing role. If Fistric plays physical, plays the PK and doesn't bleed goals at ES, he'll get a similar contract to what he has now to play bottom pairing.

Sutton probably retires at some point before next year.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Even if Whitney does have a good year, he seems like the guy to get out as soon as he has the chance... I have never really gotten the sense that he wants to be here...

I hope we retain Smid and if Fistric has a good year him as well... Sutton will most likely retire...

So if Whitney leaves we need to replace him with a bonafide top 3 guy..

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Probably all 3.... Smid and Fistric almost for certain.

If Whitney has a decent season he'll be back. If he has a crap season, probably not. If he has a spectacular season he'll likely be gone as a UFA as another team will snap him up.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
All 3 are LDs...

Fistric brings toughness.. is cheap and is a local kid.. If he isnt a liability he will be resigned.

Smid should be our biggest priority.. and Whitney if we have cap room and he bounces back..

Klefbom is the only prospect who has a shot at cracking the lineup.

Wouldnt mind him spending half a season in AHL ...
Klefbom-Musil, Marincin-Gernat would be a nice top 4 in OKC ..

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Unless this team starts winning.. I think Whitney will try to get closer to home.

WeridAl

YuckaFlux
Jan 30, 2012
10ft of Snow
Smid will be the only one left. With Klefbom coming up and the development of Marincin and Musil I cannot see the Oilers resigning Fistric and Whitney for any length of time. I can see Fistric and Whitney wanting at least a 3yr contract and most likely with a NT clause. The Oilers cannot afford that. The question is if the Oilers are out of the playoff race or close to it do they trade Whitney and Fistric for picks or prospects, or bundle them up and get that big C they need.

IMO the Oilers a sitting pretty with trade material and it could be interesting at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad