Which soccer player (current/past) is the most comparable stylistically to McDavid?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe Bale, someone with great speed and solidish frame for size. St. Louis is probably a recent example that is a closer comp to the guys you mentioned.

Edit: Yeah, Kaka is a really good one.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kaka

One man counter-attack: break-out, carry the ball the whole field, score a goal

Hopefully McDavid's peak lasts a lot longer though

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I guess I didn't take into account size as much when looking at this.

Was thinking more along the lines of dribbling/stickhandling, speed, agility and individual dominance.

But fair point about the size.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Present: Hazard
Past: Ronaldinho, Henry, Lampard/Gerrard

Hard to say as each player has a similar aspect of the game but the most comparable is probably Kaka.

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
Maradona and Messi are two of the greatest players of all time. McDavid is not yet one of the greatest players of all time.

Hazard and Kaka are good shouts though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Does Hazard have the speed advantage that McDavid has over the rest of his peers though?

Did Kaka?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, Kaka in his prime had the speed and Hazard has the speed, but I don't really think Hazard is that comparable to McDavid.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes, Kaka in his prime had the speed and Hazard has the speed, but I don't really think Hazard is that comparable to McDavid.

I'd probably agree with Kaka, guy had tremendous pace with the ball.

Hazard I don't think is way above his peers with his pace. He's amongst the fastest though.

Neymar is actually someone I didn't think about and might fit here too.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kaka is a good shout, because McDavid's skating is truly phenomenal, and Kaka used to look effortless in the way that he burst by people or ran into space.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When I watch McDavid, I don't see much wasted effort, he plays a very efficient game with a lot of skill, that's very similar to what I think of Kaka.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
McDavid is the Dybala to Crosby's Messi

As much as this post made me smile. I don't see how Dybala/McDavid are relatable. Dybala doesn't have blazing speed nor the frame.

It's hard to compare soccer players amongst each other... nearly impossible to compare 2 different sports.

However, if the comparison is who will be the best or 2nd best in the world soon... Dybala is as good as anyone his age group. Steal at the last draft we had. Whoever picked him is one smart cookie.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd probably agree with Kaka, guy had tremendous pace with the ball.

Hazard I don't think is way above his peers with his pace. He's amongst the fastest though.

Neymar is actually someone I didn't think about and might fit here too.

I agree with Kaka and with Hazard, I feel like Hazard in the sense that their first couple steps are the fastest out there, but in a straight line they are fast but not the fastest.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kind of interesting question. Most football players that are that fast are either goalscorers or wingers - very few are "playmakers" or someone racking up assists as McDavid. I guess that is also true for most hockey players.

Not saying McDavid hasn't got skills other than his speed, but Hazard relies much more on his trickery than pure pace.

Henry was relatively speaking much stronger than McDavid, but he is the only properly fast player I can think of (top of my head) that also could be a playmaker when asked to (clearly guys like Messi, Hazard etc. are quick, but I doubt they would have been able to follow Henry in a 40m sprint). If Arsenal hadn't bought Bergkamp and Henry had ended up with a Ian Wright-type striking partner I could have seen him being stylistically close to McDavid.

I don't completely disagree with Kaka, but he doesn't fit McDavid without the puck/ball as he hardly every used his pace to run into space or positioning himself for a pass the same way McDavid will (or Henry did).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad